Trans Program Wisconsin - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 08-11-2008, 08:08 PM

Mein Auto: 1994 525i
Trans Program Wisconsin

Just picked up a 525i with 142K miles; two days into it the "Trans Program" warning came on and it went into limp mode.

Not too concerned about fixing after reading some of the messages on this site.

One person mentioned the Transmission Speed Sensor as one of many possible issues. I have not found such a sensor. Part number?

I will be reading the codes first; (No codes came up, except SRS supply voltage; capacitor) then a pm on the electrical connections, battery, etc.

I have also found other problems that I expected, such as the auxillary fan is not working.

The heat gauge reads in the middle; Normal for this model?

In any case, I am looking forward to resolving the main issues, fixing the small ones and getting the body work back to really nice.

Any suggestions or references as to the dreaded "Trans Program" will be appreciated.

Norm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2008, 11:32 AM
iL Viktor

Mein Auto: 1999 Mazda B2500
I bought mine from autohausaz.com which appears to be a popular choice for parts on this board. The part number on the site is 62161390063 and then you MIGHT need the o-ring 33111206166

But, this one possibility didn't work out. It still does the slip. So... I have to find something else. Blah!
At least I got a new sensor... LOL
Old 08-12-2008, 06:09 PM

Thanks for the PN's. My transmission seems to function fine when everything is normal. It has gone into the trans program mode twice but has come out of it after sitting awhile. I will be changing the transmission fluid and filter very soon. Doubtful I will be changing the sensor that soon but I have a lot of ground to cover with maintenance to get a better handle on the problem.

Norm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2008, 08:36 PM
iL Viktor

Mein Auto: 1999 Mazda B2500
Just a heads up: if you decide to change the sensor, wear one of them masks some gardeners wear over your face, and goggles... otherwise you'll end up eating dirt! Its extremely dirty under there! Matter of fact, if you put it high enough spray out the dirt first! I scheduled time with my mechanic, he believes there is an issue with a solenoid. We'll see what happens.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by namron68 View Post
Just picked up a 525i with 142K miles; two days into it the "Trans Program" warning came on and it went into limp mode.

Not too concerned about fixing after reading some of the messages on this site.

One person mentioned the Transmission Speed Sensor as one of many possible issues. I have not found such a sensor. Part number?

I will be reading the codes first; (No codes came up, except SRS supply voltage; capacitor) then a pm on the electrical connections, battery, etc.

I have also found other problems that I expected, such as the auxillary fan is not working.

The heat gauge reads in the middle; Normal for this model?

In any case, I am looking forward to resolving the main issues, fixing the small ones and getting the body work back to really nice.

Any suggestions or references as to the dreaded "Trans Program" will be appreciated.

Norm
I'm from Eau Claire. Do you know of anyone else in the area on this board?
Old 08-13-2008, 06:12 AM

I'm new on the board so you are the first contact in the area. Any references for local reasonable service?

Norm
Old 08-13-2008, 06:19 AM

Viktor, I can appreciate the dirt issue with the location. The speed sensor I was referring to is the transmission speed sensor, not the differential speed sensor. I may be wrong but I think there is a sensor within the transmission that can cause the "Trans Program" error message. The sensor in the differential seems to affect the speedometer output.

Norm
Old 08-15-2008, 09:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by namron68 View Post
I'm new on the board so you are the first contact in the area. Any references for local reasonable service?

Norm
Thats a good question. I will let you now if I find anything

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)
Today's Posts Search