Anyone received a speeding ticket from Austria? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 11-01-2019, 02:03 PM
IZSTARS

Mein Auto: 2020 Z4 ED Oct 2019
Anyone received a speeding ticket from Austria?

Ugh, opened the mail today to find a fine for 45 euro for exceeding the limit of 60 kph by 13 ...

This was day 2 with the car after buying an Austrian vignette at the gas station and having our GPS not working off and on - causing a delay and a re-route ... I donít suppose the Austrian ticket people will care much about our excuse though.

Paying this is going to hard ... bank wire and hopefully no more tickets will trickle in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2019, 09:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325i, X1, M4
I got one in Switzerland once. I paid it but I donít remember how I did it.

There has been a lot of discussion on this board about whether to pay tickets or not. Some say if you donít it could cause trouble when you go back. I never considered not paying it.
Old 11-02-2019, 12:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 335xi GT Msport
I can't help you, but I had a slightly similar experience on a vacation last year to France, so maybe I can commiserate with you.

I was told by a good friend who was born and raised in France to be careful and not speed as they have a low tolerance for it.

OK, after a great week in Paris, we rent a car head out of town and spend 3 weeks driving around much of the rest of France. I tried to follow the speed limit signs and also had factory navigation in the rental that displayed the speed limit on each road we were on. I confess I thought I could get away with 5-10kph over and so sometimes on the open freeways did around 8 k/h over.
Well we were on this beautiful freeway and I was doing about 8 k/h over what the GPS-Nav was telling me the limit was. (and what the road signs earlier said) My wife says to me she just saw a flash and she thinks I got a photo radar ticket, a few seconds later we see a speed limit sign indicating 20kph slower than what the GPS-Nav unit indicates. I'm thinking yup I bet I just did. This happened 2 more times in different parts of France on this vacation.

About a month after we got home the car rental agency sends a bill for three processing fee(s) of about 13 euro for each of the three notices, to provide info to the French traffic agency or something like that and charges my credit card accordingly. So I know that French authorities now have my contact info and will be sending me a request for payment of the speeding tickets or asking the rental agency to add the costs to my credit card. I wait... 1 month, 2 months, 3 months but nothing more happens. It has now been 1 year and five month since we came home and I've heard/received nothing more about it, the only fees/speeding tickets I've paid amounted to about 40 euro. I'm happy and confused.

Last edited by karzrus; 11-02-2019 at 12:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2019, 07:06 AM
IZSTARS

Mein Auto: 2020 Z4 ED Oct 2019
We never saw the flash on us and were careful, using GPS heads up and all, but since we just got the ticket yesterday and it was from day 2 of our trip ... we thought we better wait a few weeks to pay it and see how many more roll in!
Old 11-03-2019, 05:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2019 X3 M40i
Back in 2009 I was flashed in Cologne when I failed to slow down adequately for a tunnel. The rental company (Avis) sent me a bill for processing, but I never received an actual ticket to pay from the authorities. I did a subsequent ED trip w/o issue.

Maybe they think its just not worth the effort?

2011 528i (ED 6/1/11; USA p/u 7/23/11) Space Grey / Black / Light Wood / Sport Auto / HUD / Packages:Premium & Premium 2 / Sport / Drivers Asst (retired 5-2-2019)

2006 325xi / Sparkling Graphite / Terra / Walnut/ Steptronic /Premium Package - Nav / Xenons || iPod Adapter | Blacklines (retired 5-1-2014)
Old 11-05-2019, 01:59 PM

Mein Auto: E60 M5,
I use TransferWise to pay tickets in Europe all the bank and direction data is on the ticket.

M DREI und M FUNF at ElkHart Lake

Current Fleet
14 Audi S4 - Sons daily driver
13 C63 AMG. Coupe Devlpmnt Pkg 12 Sept. ED Delivery
12 K1600 GT One Lap of America-Sold
11 X5d (X Funf) ? PDC Delivery
12 HD FXDC Comfortable Cruiser
05 E500 4Matic ED Delivery
01 M3 (M DREI) Sunny Sunday Service
01 Honda RC51 Sons Bike
99 Ducati ST 2 My Bike
80 Porsche 911 Weissach Edition
72 350 SL Kitzbuhel Rally & Touring Car
60 Triumph TR 3 - X 2
Old 11-06-2019, 09:06 AM

Mein Auto: '17 GTI '16 981 CS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane509 View Post
Paying this is going to hard ... bank wire and hopefully no more tickets will trickle in.
Yeah, I was on the business trip and missed a sudden drop from 130 kph to 100 kph. Austrian Autobahn is full of those - some variable, some fixed. So, I was doing 128 kph (obviously on cruise) in 100 kph zone. Cannot remember what the fine was, but I do remember paying more than double with all the bank transfer fees.

What I did was to walk into my bank, find available associate, gave her the paperwork and asked her to pay it from my checking account. I might have over payed, but the process was so easy that I would do it again no problem.

Good luck.

2017 Golf GTI |Silver over tartan cloth| MT| Base S, no options. Oh, wait! ... It does have a spare tire!

2016 981 Cayman S | 6-speed MT| Active suspension | Sport Exhaust System | Torque vectoring (with LSD) | Sport seats + | Sport design steering wheel

2013 VW Golf TDI [CONFISCATED]

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010) [SOLD]
Old 11-07-2019, 08:59 AM

Mein Auto: 15 GT3,17 GLS450, 20 M2C
What happens if you ignore it?
Old 11-07-2019, 03:50 PM

Mein Auto: E60 M5,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntax View Post
What happens if you ignore it?
A few years ago on this board a Gent had done just that, a couple of years later his company selected him for a plum job in Europe. All went well until his company found out about his tickets ignored in Europe and withdrew the promotion, and shortly after dismissed him. This has been discussed extensively in the past. Just pay the fine.

M DREI und M FUNF at ElkHart Lake

Current Fleet
14 Audi S4 - Sons daily driver
13 C63 AMG. Coupe Devlpmnt Pkg 12 Sept. ED Delivery
12 K1600 GT One Lap of America-Sold
11 X5d (X Funf) ? PDC Delivery
12 HD FXDC Comfortable Cruiser
05 E500 4Matic ED Delivery
01 M3 (M DREI) Sunny Sunday Service
01 Honda RC51 Sons Bike
99 Ducati ST 2 My Bike
80 Porsche 911 Weissach Edition
72 350 SL Kitzbuhel Rally & Touring Car
60 Triumph TR 3 - X 2

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
speeding ticket, ticket in austria

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > European Delivery
Today's Posts Search