Sellers write up on "O" rings - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 11-26-2019, 05:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 3.0i
I used a couple of the rings, one on the lower expansion tank mounting bracket, the one that goes into the radiator. This one was one of the main leak problems. I gave up on the rest and just ordered a new expansion tank.
Seems to be doing the trick.
How do you properly bleed the air out of this system? I don't want to do it wrong and explode the tank.
I'm also wondering where the best place to buy the 1.4 cap for the expansion tank. Found one on Amazon, are they all the same?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2019, 06:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 04 X5 3.0i, 08 X3 3.0si
Best to use either an OE BMW cap or the OEM Reutter cap like this: https://smile.amazon.com/BMW-e30-Rad...4775695&sr=8-1

Since you give us no indication which engine you have, we can't offer bleeding advice as the different engines require vastly different procedures. Highly suggest you edit your signature to include details about your particular vehicle. It makes it much easier for everyone to help you.

AM.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:12 AM

My bad.
It's a 2005 X3 3.0i
Old 11-26-2019, 08:55 AM

The M54 uses a mechanical water pump, so it is bled "manually". Here's how I do it. Others will likely chime in with other details or other ideas.

1) Drain the system using the drain screw at the bottom left (drivers side) of the radiator. Open bleed screw a turn (in plastic molding leading into upper radiator inlet), and fill ET with distilled water until coolant flows steadily from bleeder. Close bleeder and run the engine with heat cranked up high until coolant is circulating freely (thermostat has opened). Shut off, drain, and repeat 2-3 times. If I'm low on distilled water, I'll sometimes use tap water for the first couple fill/drains. Always try to use distilled at least for the last flush. Pay attention to how much water you're able to add to the system. If it is equal/greater than half the system capacity, you're good to move on to adding coolant. If it is less than half the system capacity, you need to either open the block drain on the right side of the engine block, or some people will start the engine for a few seconds to let the water pump push out some more fluid.

2) Determine the volume of undiluted BMW blue coolant necessary to equal 50% of your system's capacity. Open the bleed screw and pour that amount of coolant into your ET. Continue filling with straight distilled water until coolant runs from your bleed screw. This way you'll end up with a reasonably precise 50% mixture. Add enough water to ET just to bring the float stick top even with the top of the ET spout. Install the ET cap and run the engine with the heater on high up to operating temperature. Allow the system to fully cool (e.g., overnight), then check the level in your ET and add water as necessary to again set your float stick even with the top of the ET tank spout. You should be done at this point, but it is always a good practice to check the level again after another day or two.

Pro tip: It is helpful if you can drain the system with the front of the car lowered (e.g., pointing down a sloped driveway), and conversely and more importantly, if you can fill the system with the front of the car raised. Having the front of the car higher for filling/bleeding really helps any air escape from the cooling passages in the engine.

Hope that helps,

AM.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:47 AM

Thanks for the info.
I seen a video where the person filled the tank till it over flowed from the air vent hole then turned the key to the run position and held the gas pedal down for 10 seconds then released. Said they system will auto purge the air over the next 12 minutes.
Any truth to that?
Old 11-26-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_5 View Post
Thanks for the info.
I seen a video where the person filled the tank till it over flowed from the air vent hole then turned the key to the run position and held the gas pedal down for 10 seconds then released. Said they system will auto purge the air over the next 12 minutes.
Any truth to that?
Not on your M54. That applies to the N52.

AM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search