Product News / Reviews Don't buy a bmw your engine will get lock!!! - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW News

BMW News
Get the latest BMW headlines, news, and rumors and discuss the future of BMW with other BMW enthusiasts!

Old 09-24-2019, 05:07 AM   #1
Shanwrongful

Show Printable Version Email this Page

Advertisement
posted by Shanwrongful

So I was trying to keep this story to myself since 2015 but after seeing sooo many comments in regards to how BMW arent who they claimed to be I had to share my story..So in 12/31/10 I bought a brand new BMW x6...To witness my car being built on my computer wow I have to say I was so happy I had the car of my dream!!!..but let's say that my dream didnt last that long...on September 2015, while driving on the highway my engine locked... towed my car to BMW service department and after them keeping my car for over 2 weeks, I was advised that my engine was locked due to my strip under the hood which was damaged...I was charged $8000 for the repair and after browsing on the internet and seeing all the locked engine comments I decided why should I have to pay for something which wasn't my fault...I started asking myself questions?? The Owner Manual clearly states not to get under the hood of your car unless it's from a professional BMW mechanic so if all my services were done at BMW service department how come they failed to see that this strip which can cause water to enter my engine was damaged what happened to customer service,what happened to integrity, isnt that what they stand for!!!long story short my $80,000 car became my nightmare and still is..BMW filed a lawsuit against me and charged me $32,000 in triple damages... I have to say that I do not recommend anyone from buying a BMW!!!!! Please don't !!!! I totally lost respect for this company!!!

Last edited by Shanwrongful; 09-24-2019 at 08:56 AM..
This article has been viewed 1440 times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2019, 08:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 535iX M Sport
I'm sorry for your troubles.
I have to say that before people can give your story much credibility, it raises some questions.
What strip under the hood?
Why wait 4 years?
You have legitimate questions, what did the dealership say and do?
How in the world did they manage to sue you over this?
Old 09-24-2019, 08:34 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
"Strip under the hood" may be the water exclusion barrier that is an occasional issue with X5 poorly maintained.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2019, 08:55 AM

Mein Auto:
After seeing all the complaints on lock engines I decided to do a stop payment on the services rendered cause I wasn't satisfied that dealership gave me a refurbished engine instead of providing me a new one...that's what they used me for for the stop payment...and since 2016 I been in a lawsuit with them trying to have them be accountable for their actions...and the strip is supposed to protect the water from going into the engine that's what I was advised by the service manager...
Old 09-24-2019, 11:30 AM

There is still details missing.
Was the car under warranty?
Was the car flooded?
What did they tell you when they decided remanufactured instead of new?
Did you lawyer up or just decide not to pay?
Old 09-25-2019, 09:51 PM

Mein Auto:
Warranty ended 4 months before it happened...I had over 50,000 so warranty expired and no there wasn't any flood but water did access my engine from bad weather according to the service department...I did take my car to service several times before all this happened because my check engine sign was on they couldn't find the reason by doing the diagnostics and no I didnt lawyered up because I taught we could come to an agreement that I as a customer would be satisfied with....
Old 09-26-2019, 07:09 AM

In all honesty this isn't much of a BMW problem and more of a dealership issue.
I would gotten a lawyer.
Old 09-26-2019, 09:26 AM

Mein Auto: 18' Tesla Model 3 Perf.
This is just another attempt at the somewhat new trend of "social media shaming" that people do in order to try to get what they want. This OP is trying to make this sound like a BMW wide issue, but engine lock because of water intrusion is not a "BMW wide" issue, and there are MANY ways that can be attributed to the owner of a cars action that can cause water to enter the engine area.

2019 X3 M40i Phytonic Blue |Blk Leather W/Blue Stiching | Alu. Rhombicle trim | Adaptive Suspension | Premium Pack | Drivers Assist | Drivers Assist + | Wireless Charging | 21" 718 Wheels| | Executive Pack | HK Stereo (hers)

18' Tesla Model 3 Performance

BMW CCA #477341
Old 09-26-2019, 10:38 AM

Mein Auto:
Totally your opinion...and totally my experience it's not about social media shaming it is about BMW taking responsibility and changing their brand when it comes to their engine capabilities...obviously there is an underlying problem and they need to seriously invest in changing it...if I was the only one then totally you would have a valid point...but I'm not!!!!
Old 09-30-2019, 09:55 PM

Mein Auto: 14 535d Xdrive, 12 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanwrongful View Post
So I was trying to keep this story to myself since 2015 but after seeing sooo many comments in regards to how BMW arent who they claimed to be I had to share my story..So in 12/31/10 I bought a brand new BMW x6...To witness my car being built on my computer wow I have to say I was so happy I had the car of my dream!!!..but let's say that my dream didnt last that long...on September 2015, while driving on the highway my engine locked... towed my car to BMW service department and after them keeping my car for over 2 weeks, I was advised that my engine was locked due to my strip under the hood which was damaged...I was charged $8000 for the repair and after browsing on the internet and seeing all the locked engine comments I decided why should I have to pay for something which wasn't my fault...I started asking myself questions?? The Owner Manual clearly states not to get under the hood of your car unless it's from a professional BMW mechanic so if all my services were done at BMW service department how come they failed to see that this strip which can cause water to enter my engine was damaged what happened to customer service,what happened to integrity, isnt that what they stand for!!!long story short my $80,000 car became my nightmare and still is..BMW filed a lawsuit against me and charged me $32,000 in triple damages... I have to say that I do not recommend anyone from buying a BMW!!!!! Please don't !!!! I totally lost respect for this company!!!
OUCH. My head hurts from reading that post. Sounds more like a dealership issue instead of a BMW issue. I would have lawyered up if I were in your shoes.

So are you saying I absolutely must never lift the hood on my BMWs? Oh no!! I did exactly that on both of my cars about 5 minutes after leaving the dealer's lot. I am also not a "professional BMW mechanic". Fortunately I do know what I'm doing and do most of the routine maintenance myself. Note by Federal law in the USA (Magnusson Moss Warranty Act of 1975), you do not void any warranties by doing the routine maintenance yourself instead of taking to a BMW dealership for service, provided the work is done properly. While BMW recommends bringing it to a BMW dealer for service and the service is free during the factory warranty period, you are free to DIY if you like instead of bringing it to a dealer for service. Regular maintenance still needs to be done and needs to be done properly.

Are you saying I should never buy a BMW because my engine will "get lock?" I have to call bull-expletive here. I wish you had told me that before I put 130k trouble free miles on my 2014 535dx and 175k trouble free miles on my 2012 X5 35d. The X5 35d was a CPO deal in 2014 at 52k miles and currently has 227k miles on it and is still going strong. Both cars are long term keepers (10+ years) and won't be for sale anytime soon. The engine in each car is not going to "get lock".

Some more information about your car would be helpful. What engine does your car have? N63? N55?

Why DIESEL is better: (from wxmanCCM)
PM - https://sites.google.com/view/lmarzccm/home
Air Toxics - https://sites.google.com/view/loren-marz-ccm/home
Ozone Precursors - https://sites.google.com/view/lorenmarz-ccm/home
General - https://sites.google.com/view/emissions-general/home

Last edited by n1das; 09-30-2019 at 10:09 PM.
Old 10-01-2019, 01:02 AM

Mein Auto:
My engine was xDrive35i it was powered by a new 300-hp 3.0-liter turbocharged inline six-cylinder engine and also this was not my first BMW I did own a 328i which was great never gave me any issue but when my lease was up I upgraded to the X6 honestly taught I was going to have the same experience but didnt...I'm saying dont buy a BMW because I want people to know that it doesn't matter if you are a loyal customer this company integrity is going down the drain..They have so many complaints on lock engine so what the hell are they doing in the corporate office they need to revisit their mission statement do something this is horrible!!!!this isnt right!!!! And yes I should have lawyered up but taught they would have taken accountability for their mistakes...I did take my vehicle several times to the dealership before all this happened and every single time they refreshed my engine sign and sent me on my way... Im a customer I dont know anything about car repairs this is why I trusted all my services at BMW... and yes then I was still under warranty all this happened a few months after it ended and I also had a full service done as well and was never told of anything...I hate this company they put me to a great ordeal and still are...Honda, Corolla, Nissan stand by their company integrity what is it about BMW that makes it them so different to stand by theirs!!!!!

Last edited by Shanwrongful; 10-01-2019 at 01:45 AM.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:20 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
"Strip under the hood" may be the water exclusion barrier that is an occasional issue with X5 poorly maintained.
I have to say that before people can give your story much credibility, it raises some questions.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:28 PM

Mein Auto: 14 535d Xdrive, 12 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1das
Are you saying I should never buy a BMW because my engine will "get lock?" I have to call bull-expletive here. I wish you had told me that before I put 130k trouble free miles on my 2014 535dx and 175k trouble free miles on my 2012 X5 35d. The X5 35d was a CPO deal in 2014 at 52k miles and currently has 227k miles on it and is still going strong. Both cars are long term keepers (10+ years) and won't be for sale anytime soon. The engine in each car is not going to "get lock".
I stand by my earlier post. The engine in my cars are not going to "get lock."

The OP's story raises a lot of questions.

Why DIESEL is better: (from wxmanCCM)
PM - https://sites.google.com/view/lmarzccm/home
Air Toxics - https://sites.google.com/view/loren-marz-ccm/home
Ozone Precursors - https://sites.google.com/view/lorenmarz-ccm/home
General - https://sites.google.com/view/emissions-general/home
Old 11-15-2019, 12:28 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KATYRA View Post

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW News
Today's Posts Search