X6 ActiveHybrid - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X6 E71 / E72 (2008 - 2014)

X6 E71 / E72 (2008 - 2014)
The BMW X6 luxury crossover went on sale in April 2008 as a 2009 model year. BMW referes to the X6 as a Sports Activity Coupe (SAC) as it combines the attributes of an SUV (high ground clearance, xDrive and all-weather ability) with the stance, styling and roof line shape of a coupe. The E71 X6 was built off the E70 X5 (2007 - 2013) platform at BMW's Spartanburg, SC plant. Total worldwide sales were just over 235,000, sold mostly to the BRIC countries. US total sales was 34,082 vehicles.

Old 08-12-2016, 04:51 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X6 Activehybrid
I just bought a used 2010 x6 with the Activehybrid. The engine light came on so I plugged a reader to it and the message reads as follows "hybrid / ev battery cooling system chiller performance" please help as some of these reviews are making me nervous. This is my dream car and I don't want anything else.

Last edited by Djdnyce; 08-12-2016 at 04:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2016, 09:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 X6 Active Hybrid
Hello,

Congratulations on the purchase. Best vehicle ever made.

That said, you need to just take your X6 into the BMW dealer service so that they can properly diagnosis and fix your check engine light.

There is no sense in even talking about what you found as you do not have the proper tools or equipment to asses it. Don not work on that car your self, only damage will occur.

You just need service to check it all out and look for topical component issues that trigger or cascade errors codes. Check throttle bodies, water pumps etc. Make sure all service campaings are done. Have the cooling system flushed, thermostate checked. AND DO ALL OF THIS AT BMW SERVICE. I'll say nothing more. DONT WORK ON IT YOURSELF, YOU WILL MESS IT UP MORE.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:38 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X6 Activehybrid
Thank you for your reply. I live in a remote town and just wanted to know if the car was still drivable. That's the only reason I checked what the reading was. I intend very much to bring it to BMW, I just wanted to know that it would make the 8 hour journey. Thanks once again as you have answered many questions I had on other people's posts.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 X6 Active Hybrid
I don't mean to be blunt, but to make point that you have a specialty car, and it requires sophistication in all things. Thus, it is no use to worry about what your code generator says, it's most likely incorrect of the true fault that is occurring.

You just got this vehicle, so what you need to do it take in for total update servicing. You don't know it's history or how long it's been sitting without updates.

Things to have done, and it will I suggest planning to put 5k into it.

Oil, check and replace any faulty water pumps as there are 4, air filters there are also 4, spark plugs, check and replace thermostate, flush entire cooling system including battery cooling system, make sure any BMW campaigns have been done for updates, check hybrid module and or replace, check throttle bodies abd replace if needed.

When I got mine, I did all these things. I had a check engine light and a cooling warning on start up. It was throttle body faulting and took a while to find. I have replaced a watew pump twice. But now all is perfect. Just have to take car of this vehicle and it will do you well. Also have bmw run it through the injector cleaner fuel service too, not additive you buy b UT have them un hook vehicle fuel system and run it on thier cleaner system.

Take car of this car. It's amazing. And always maintain it with bmw service.
Old 06-10-2017, 04:03 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X6
My BMW X6 2010 Wouldn't Crank

I am an Aerospace Engineer and sometimes work on Ground vehicles.
My X6 has refused to crank. At first, i noticed misfiring while driving. I had checked the spark plugs and coils and the CAT. Till this time, it has refused to come up. Not even cranking, I need suggestions please.
1. Could the battery be responsible
2. If its the battery, can it be jump start
3. If the battery is bad, how can it be tested and where can i get a new one
4. Can it run without battery as i would probably love to run it on gas only

Thank u
Old 02-25-2018, 06:03 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X6 Active Hybrid
Oil Consumtion

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricX6Hybrid View Post
I understand that thought before you purchase. But rest assured. A few worthy points to note:

- at 10,700 cost of OEM BMW battery replacement is a steal. That's cheaper than a prius.

- I plan to keep mine for a long time and have planned as well to simply purchase an extra new BMW battery to just have on stock if I ever needed it in twenty years.

- It would not be worth it to risk a non OEM battery in that vehicle, likely to bust the whole system and cause major damage.

- A very good thing about the system employed is that this is a NiCad battery system. It's top end, like the systems used in Boeing and Airbush planes. Highly robust, very long life. It why also it can charge so quickly like a capacitor system. This pack has a charge cycle of about a hundred X more than any LiPO pack. This pack thus can easily last twenty to thirty years as it behaviors more like a highvoltage capacitor.

- You NEVER want to work on it your self or try to replace it your self or with a third party, could kill your self and the car. This is 300 volts of instant current, more than your household, and can easilly electricut you if you fuss with it unknowingly and without proper procedure, OEM parts and correct tools. This vehicle you must commit to dealer servicing period.

- There are only 600 of these in the states. Only buy it if you plan to take care of it and keep it OEM. It's a fabulous vehicle to drive.

- Yes, it can always run on gas alone. If battery goes all that happens is hybrid mode is reduced or not used. It would warn you too. But I have never heard of one battery problem on this vehicle yet, so far as I know they are all still original first battery. And BMW put way more than 10k dev into that battery.

- it is a sophisticated car. It should last longer than an typical car. But you must take care of it. Plan a few K a year in maintaining maintenance care.

- It was ahead of its time like most BMW's are. The new Volvo XC90 SUV mimcs this system but still not as well.

- Enjoy. Mine had 11k on it only till just this last year and now has 45k just because I love driving it and had recently grown tired of the airport.
Eric does your burn oil? My X6 has about 89K on it and has been fabulous; however, I still must putoil in it when it ask for oil which is likely with in a month. Only one quart.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:22 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X6 Active Hybrid
Eric Does your X6 burn oil. I have 89K on mine and it wants oil close to once a month. Shestill performs wonderfully. I plan on having mine until it doesn't run anymore.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:49 AM

Mein Auto:
Hybrid system is blocked

Help, I have a 2010 X6 Hybrida and I love it. I removed all the wheels to repair the wheels and unfortunately it locked and did not turn on. I read the manual and it appears that when the car has sudden movements or accidents the hybrid system is blocked. Some of you know how to unlock it. Thank you.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X6 E71 / E72 (2008 - 2014)
Today's Posts Search