Am I missing something? - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 07-29-2019, 03:19 PM
2010xdrive35d's Avatar
2010xdrive35d 2010xdrive35d is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Southeast Texas
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 162
Mein Auto: 2010 X5 xdrive35d White
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post
Here is the original thread from 5 years ago where I identified the problem

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...highlight=4b99
That's it! I knew I saw it on here reading around, just couldn't remember where the thread was and I'm glad you added here blue dragon! You're the reason I started on this. Atleast you had parts to leak.. lol
Mine are broken or missing altogether.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #27  
Old 07-30-2019, 09:00 AM
2010xdrive35d's Avatar
2010xdrive35d 2010xdrive35d is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Southeast Texas
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 162
Mein Auto: 2010 X5 xdrive35d White
Update: Received an email from the GM at the dealership and he said they would be mailing the parts out today and apologies they missed that. So I have to put them on myself.. It's all good. Better than having to buy them. And like Doug pointed out it will be a good time to inspect everything under the hood. Get familiar with it all.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-04-2019, 06:29 PM
2010xdrive35d's Avatar
2010xdrive35d 2010xdrive35d is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Southeast Texas
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 162
Mein Auto: 2010 X5 xdrive35d White
Final Update: I think it's pretty much a wrap. Not missing anything anymore... except 2 screws. Which I'm pretty sure I can source those pretty easily.

Box showed up with my parts and they were super easy to install.

Thanks for all the feedback and contributions on this thread!

P.S. I apologize for all of my pictures being so dark. As you can tell I'm normally doing all my work at that time after the wife and kids are in bed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1442.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	860239   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1445.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	860241  
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-11-2019, 06:58 PM
RPsX5d RPsX5d is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Bay Area California
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,240
Mein Auto: X5 35d, MY2011 150,000 mi
Only reporting back . . . only had to replace the three pieces, rest of the pieces were all in good condition . . .

while doing this replacement checked the injector area - no corrosion . . . so I am hoping no damage from those broken partitions . . .

I used to check for cracks . . . mine cracked neatly, a quick look didn't reveal anything . . . after reading this thread I went back and placed my finger underneath the partition (where the cracks happen) I could feel it . . . closer examination revealed they were all cracked . . .

glad I caught it . . .
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-11-2019, 07:55 PM
2010xdrive35d's Avatar
2010xdrive35d 2010xdrive35d is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Southeast Texas
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 162
Mein Auto: 2010 X5 xdrive35d White
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPsX5d View Post
Only reporting back . . . only had to replace the three pieces, rest of the pieces were all in good condition . . .

while doing this replacement checked the injector area - no corrosion . . . so I am hoping no damage from those broken partitions . . .

I used to check for cracks . . . mine cracked neatly, a quick look didn't reveal anything . . . after reading this thread I went back and placed my finger underneath the partition (where the cracks happen) I could feel it . . . closer examination revealed they were all cracked . . .

glad I caught it . . .
Glad you did too!

You brought up a good point... I need to go back and check my engine for sure! Just to look for corrosion. Fingers crossed none present.

Also.. I need someone else's eyes on this screw I found. Can't seem to pinpoint the exact two I need but pretty sure this will do the trick. Thoughts?

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...nt-51419124467
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 08-12-2019, 08:17 AM
RPsX5d RPsX5d is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Bay Area California
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,240
Mein Auto: X5 35d, MY2011 150,000 mi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010xdrive35d View Post
. . . Also.. I need someone else's eyes on this screw I found. Can't seem to pinpoint the exact two I need but pretty sure this will do the trick. Thoughts?https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...nt-51419124467
Not sure I understood your question correct . . . are you asking whether the BMW Torx Bolt (P/N 51-41-9-124-467) is part of the engine bay partitions?

No, it is not . . . the torx bolt you reference is part of the gear selector assembly . . . #6 on this diagram.

The screws you need for the engine bay partitions in case one or more are missing/broken are shown in this diagram.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 08-12-2019, 12:03 PM
2010xdrive35d's Avatar
2010xdrive35d 2010xdrive35d is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Southeast Texas
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 162
Mein Auto: 2010 X5 xdrive35d White
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPsX5d View Post
Not sure I understood your question correct . . . are you asking whether the BMW Torx Bolt (P/N 51-41-9-124-467) is part of the engine bay partitions?

No, it is not . . . the torx bolt you reference is part of the gear selector assembly . . . #6 on this diagram.

The screws you need for the engine bay partitions in case one or more are missing/broken are shown in this diagram.
You're right! The torx bolt that ties the 2 side partitions together with the center.

I see the diagram but it gives all available hardware for engine compartment mounting parts.

Which one do I need?
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 08-13-2019, 09:57 AM
RPsX5d RPsX5d is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Bay Area California
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,240
Mein Auto: X5 35d, MY2011 150,000 mi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010xdrive35d View Post
You're right! The torx bolt that ties the 2 side partitions together with the center.

I see the diagram but it gives all available hardware for engine compartment mounting parts.

Which one do I need?
I took a look under the hood (see picture) . . . my best guess is Item #16 on this diagram . . . Torx-bolt with washer (P/N 07-14-7-114-625)

You could also call a BMW dealer parts line and have them look up this part number . . . and have them confirm this is the right screw/washer you need . . . they probably have a diagram that shows where #16 goes.

Finally, IMO any screw with the matching thread and a washer should be plenty good . . .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW Torx Bolt with Washer 07-14-7-114-625.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	861115  
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 10-09-2019, 01:59 PM
ill_kuma's Avatar
ill_kuma ill_kuma is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NYC
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,006
Mein Auto: 2009 X5
I recently noticed my 3 pieces are broken as well and didnt want to start a new thread as there are a few of these already. I know what I need to buy and it costs a bit over $400 for all 3 pieces. So far everything on my X5 is OEM but I cant seem to justify paying $400 for some plastic pieces vs like $45 for 3 pieces on eBay. My questions is will the quality be that different to justify the crazy price difference? Please let me know your thoughts as I will be ordering it soon. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 10-09-2019, 02:13 PM
BabyUnicornTaco BabyUnicornTaco is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Charleston, SC
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 1,994
Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i E70 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ill_kuma View Post
I recently noticed my 3 pieces are broken as well and didnt want to start a new thread as there are a few of these already. I know what I need to buy and it costs a bit over $400 for all 3 pieces. So far everything on my X5 is OEM but I cant seem to justify paying $400 for some plastic pieces vs like $45 for 3 pieces on eBay. My questions is will the quality be that different to justify the crazy price difference? Please let me know your thoughts as I will be ordering it soon. Thanks.


I have a brand new one from China sitting in my garage. Ordered by mistake. Material quality was fine but the holes were hand drilled and a little off the spot it should have been. Never tried installing.


Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
__________________
2008 X5 E70 4.8i M-Sport
2008 550i RPI Exhaust, RPI Ram Air
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 10-09-2019, 03:08 PM
Gary214 Gary214 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Central PA
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 555
Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyUnicornTaco View Post
I have a brand new one from China sitting in my garage. Ordered by mistake. Material quality was fine but the holes were hand drilled and a little off the spot it should have been. Never tried installing.


Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
I replaced the partitions at the dealership. Chinese stuff may look good but material will breakdown and cause a fire hazard.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 10-09-2019, 08:30 PM
2010xdrive35d's Avatar
2010xdrive35d 2010xdrive35d is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Southeast Texas
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 162
Mein Auto: 2010 X5 xdrive35d White
According to most that have replaced theirs speak to how vital these parts are when it comes to the possibility of leaks and shorting out injectors. Specifically the #5.

It's easy for me to say because I didn't buy mine, but I wouldn't cut corners on these parts especially due to the purpose they serve.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 10-09-2019, 08:32 PM
BabyUnicornTaco BabyUnicornTaco is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Charleston, SC
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 1,994
Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i E70 Sport
Am I missing something?

This is more of a diesel issue right? Iím not doing anything with my partitions I have so if ill_kuma wants mine he can have them for shipping and a beer.


Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
__________________
2008 X5 E70 4.8i M-Sport
2008 550i RPI Exhaust, RPI Ram Air
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 10-09-2019, 08:36 PM
BabyUnicornTaco BabyUnicornTaco is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Charleston, SC
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 1,994
Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i E70 Sport
Am I missing something?

.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
__________________
2008 X5 E70 4.8i M-Sport
2008 550i RPI Exhaust, RPI Ram Air

Last edited by BabyUnicornTaco; 10-10-2019 at 06:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 10-14-2019, 05:15 PM
BabyUnicornTaco BabyUnicornTaco is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Charleston, SC
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 1,994
Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i E70 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyUnicornTaco View Post
I have a brand new one from China sitting in my garage. Ordered by mistake. Material quality was fine but the holes were hand drilled and a little off the spot it should have been. Never tried installing.


Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app


This was the China one. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0105.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	868145


Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
__________________
2008 X5 E70 4.8i M-Sport
2008 550i RPI Exhaust, RPI Ram Air
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 10-14-2019, 07:52 PM
robnitro robnitro is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NYC area
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 651
Mein Auto: x5 35d e70 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyUnicornTaco View Post
This is more of a diesel issue right? I'm not doing anything with my partitions I have so if ill_kuma wants mine he can have them for shipping and a beer.


Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
If you don't mind water on your engine it's not just a diesel issue. Are you thinking gas engines have a different better part lol...
__________________
FYI: I can't see your signature because I turned off that option since people like to put big images in theirs, which this site doesn't let you block...

Last edited by robnitro; 10-14-2019 at 07:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 10-14-2019, 08:01 PM
BabyUnicornTaco BabyUnicornTaco is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Charleston, SC
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 1,994
Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i E70 Sport
Am I missing something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnitro View Post
If you don't mind water on your engine it's not just a diesel issue. Are you thinking gas engines have a different better part lol...


Nope. Just a spark plug in a different position under the drip. Isnít it something like cylinder #5 that gets the drip from the typical leak on the diesel? Not where my plugs are? They leak on all models but mostly affect the diesels if Iím not mistaken.


Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
__________________
2008 X5 E70 4.8i M-Sport
2008 550i RPI Exhaust, RPI Ram Air

Last edited by BabyUnicornTaco; 10-14-2019 at 08:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 10-15-2019, 03:59 AM
robnitro robnitro is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NYC area
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 651
Mein Auto: x5 35d e70 2011
I'd think it's still a problem because other things can go bad.
I used epoxy glue to fix my cracked side partitions and it's held up for a year +
__________________
FYI: I can't see your signature because I turned off that option since people like to put big images in theirs, which this site doesn't let you block...
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.