brands of oil filters - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > F12 / F13 (2012 - 2018)

F12 / F13 (2012 - 2018)
The all new 3rd generation 6 series coupe (F13) and convertible (F12) forum. The F06 BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe forum is here

Old 09-21-2019, 04:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW
one point as I think the post has been bashed to death, many years ago, my (new to me) Porsche 944 cab, I was proudly showing to my pop's, he showed me an imperfection HORROR
the rear boot/trunk where the key goes in the round rubber had deteriorated, new one was about 5.00, easy enough job I thought. BUT the cab's have a lid not like the coupes, and the boot release
was electric, (i.e. a motor), so I started stripping the lid interior, without disconnecting the battery. Something activated, and the boot went through a "CYCLE" with the inards open, this messed up the lock
motor, I could not close the boot, managed to, but then I couldnt open it, (battery is in the trunk)

Had to get it to Porsche, who fixed it, but some motor ring and bust, in the cycle, when the lid was up instead of down (in normal use this does not happen), new parts and labour, 600+tax
BUT they had done a temp fix, (so they said) as they needed to get another part (my car was old) so they didnt want me to be without a car, and told me (apparently) all was good, and assumed,
I would use the interior trunk release and NOT the actual key, So i used the key, motor cycled and the whole boot jammed locked.

I had a stand up argument with the guy's , APPARENTLY the way to open the trunk is only using the interior switch and not the key. DONT ask me why, Anyway, nothing was broken, just there time fixing it
and fitting the new part, I paid for the work, but wrote a stinker (I also ran the Porsche club chapter) the GM gave me a 300 credit on the mis understandingt. BUT all told, a 5 part cost nearly 1000 in parts and labour.

BECAUSE I didn't know what I was doing in the first place, on ANY OTHER car, I could have done this job, on the Porsche it was specialized.

Anyone done there spark plugs on an N52, fuqing nightmare the first time, so yes,
in that case your time, effort, and distant potential for mistake worth the $5 part, or just actually leave it alone ! LOLOLOL

Last edited by jaye944; 09-21-2019 at 04:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2019, 04:53 AM
Michael

Mein Auto: BMW 640i SE Convertible
While I have my 5 year service agreement still in place I don't touch mine, but when that runs out I tend to do all my own maintenance, oil, brakes, fluid changes, diff gearbox transmission as I don't believe in lifetime fluids. BMW classes lifetime as 100k miles, just read the small print. I also own a code and service reader, so if anything goes wrong I have an idea and then decide if I have the capability to repair/replace. Again at my age my limiting factors is getting up of the ground from under the car, the focal length of my glasses means that most things are blurred, especially under the car, and the weight of some items I used to hold with one hand whilst putting in the first bolt, to praying that as I push to locate the bolt the first time all the holes line up and in it goes, generally it is now the 3-4 pass

Always said I would go back to a 6 series
Old 09-21-2019, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 645/333 View Post
While I have my 5 year service agreement still in place I don't touch mine, but when that runs out I tend to do all my own maintenance, oil, brakes, fluid changes, diff gearbox transmission as I don't believe in lifetime fluids. BMW classes lifetime as 100k miles, just read the small print. I also own a code and service reader, so if anything goes wrong I have an idea and then decide if I have the capability to repair/replace. Again at my age my limiting factors is getting up of the ground from under the car, the focal length of my glasses means that most things are blurred, especially under the car, and the weight of some items I used to hold with one hand whilst putting in the first bolt, to praying that as I push to locate the bolt the first time all the holes line up and in it goes, generally it is now the 3-4 pass
^^
Old 09-21-2019, 05:00 AM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye944 View Post
one point as I think the post has been bashed to death, many years ago, my (new to me) Porsche 944 cab, I was proudly showing to my pop's, he showed me an imperfection HORROR
the rear boot/trunk where the key goes in the round rubber had deteriorated, new one was about 5.00, easy enough job I thought. BUT the cab's have a lid not like the coupes, and the boot release
was electric, (i.e. a motor), so I started stripping the lid interior, without disconnecting the battery. Something activated, and the boot went through a "CYCLE" with the inards open, this messed up the lock
motor, I could not close the boot, managed to, but then I couldnt open it, (battery is in the trunk)

Had to get it to Porsche, who fixed it, but some motor ring and bust, in the cycle, when the lid was up instead of down (in normal use this does not happen), new parts and labour, 600+tax
BUT they had done a temp fix, (so they said) as they needed to get another part (my car was old) so they didnt want me to be without a car, and told me (apparently) all was good, and assumed,
I would use the interior trunk release and NOT the actual key, So i used the key, motor cycled and the whole boot jammed locked.

I had a stand up argument with the guy's , APPARENTLY the way to open the trunk is only using the interior switch and not the key. DONT ask me why, Anyway, nothing was broken, just there time fixing it
and fitting the new part, I paid for the work, but wrote a stinker (I also ran the Porsche club chapter) the GM gave me a 300 credit on the mis understandingt. BUT all told, a 5 part cost nearly 1000 in parts and labour.

BECAUSE I didn't know what I was doing in the first place, on ANY OTHER car, I could have done this job, on the Porsche it was specialized.

Anyone done there spark plugs on an N52, fuqing nightmare the first time, so yes,
in that case your time, effort, and distant potential for mistake worth the $5 part, or just actually leave it alone ! LOLOLOL
Yes I did the plugs changes on the N52, the back plugs a nightmare until you know the tricks, mine was trial and getting tools stuck but eventually successful then went on line and warned everyone else, now they do them without any issues, you have to be thankful these sites exist with people prepared to help others!!!

Old 09-21-2019, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Yes I did the plugs changes on the N52, the back plugs a nightmare until you know the tricks, mine was trial and getting tools stuck but eventually successful then went on line and warned everyone else, now they do them without any issues, you have to be thankful these sites exist with people prepared to help others!!!
^^ true, also a good adage to remember "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing"
Old 09-21-2019, 05:07 AM
Michael

Quote:
^^ true, also a good adage to remember "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing"
I agree with your final comment, I read posts on here where people have done things to their cars in order to fix when it is obvious they have zero knowledge, not realising a one line help statement is backed with years of experience, but in they dive

Old 09-21-2019, 05:29 PM
Addicted Since '72 2002ti

Mein Auto: 2002, X3(E83)
Quote:
Anyone done there spark plugs on an N52, fuqing nightmare the first time,
Yes. No problems in my experience thanks to the illustrated, detailed procedures on this site.

Quote:
Right on. Especially when we have sixteen year old kids preaching that the world will burn up unless America abandons petroleum production. Good grief. They already dismiss the biology of two genders. Oh, no! I'll have to rename my socket sets! Male? Female? Stubby? Indent?

Last edited by BMWAddict_W; 09-21-2019 at 05:31 PM.
Old 09-21-2019, 05:35 PM

LOL oh ****, your right,

Now wait, what about a male socket that Identifies as Female, can it still do the job
Or a female that dresses like a male, can it do the job
or better yet a male that has the op to become a female

LOL

We'll be buying gender free tools WTF ! in case we upset some snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWAddict_W View Post
They already dismiss the biology of two genders. Oh, no! I'll have to rename my socket sets! Male? Female? Stubby? Indent?
Old 09-22-2019, 03:49 AM
Michael

I bucking the trend of gender neutrality as my car is a girl who can lift up hurts skirts and a give snowflakes a longing look at her backside, no knickers either

Old 09-22-2019, 03:02 PM
Addicted Since '72 2002ti

Mein Auto: 2002, X3(E83)
Quote:
I bucking the trend of gender neutrality as my car is a girl who can lift up hurts skirts and a give snowflakes a longing look at her backside, no knickers either
And drive with her TOP DOWN!
Old 09-23-2019, 04:03 AM

Going out TOPLESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWAddict_W View Post
And drive with her TOP DOWN!
Old 09-23-2019, 05:05 AM
Michael

Quote:
I must be female as I can admit my mistakes "mean't to write HER not Hurts" don't even remember my fingers typing incorrectly!! But then I have to be male as I did not check my work before I pushed the send key! Or could I be gender neutral as I am indecisive as to whether I should have highlighted my error, the world has become so confusing! Am I taking this seriously ? NO ! I must be a man

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > F12 / F13 (2012 - 2018)
Today's Posts Search