M4 lease is coming to an end... advice needed - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M3 & M4 > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)

F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
F80 BMW M3 sedan, F82 BMW M4 coupe and F83 M4 convertible forum. This 5th generation M3 and all new M4 features a 3.0 liter twin turbo engine (engine code S55) 425hp and 406lbs of torque! Heavy use of light weight materials makes this generation lighter and faster then the outgoing E9x M3.

Old 05-13-2018, 10:47 PM

Mein Auto:
M4 lease is coming to an end... advice needed

My Ď15 M4 is coming off lease in 3-4 weeks and i am not sure what to do. My car only has 16K miles and looks like new. When i look at new cars nothing jumps out at me as a better option. I can buy the car from BMWFS for $45K (not bad considering used M4s with more miles go for up to $6-8K more). I tried seeing if local dealers can negotiate a better buyout, but BMWFS will only reduce to the Manheim market rate (which is nearly identical to my buyout). I am just looking for advice and realize there is no right answer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2018, 05:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
Looks new, and low mileage.. That's a no-brainer (right answer) to buy it and keep it. Used cars cost what they cost. With the advent of the Interwebs, the drama of pricing a used car is all but gone. Since you've had the car since it was new, you don't have the normal risk that goes from buying a used car.

I buy my cars, and keep them to somewhere around 100k miles (at 10k to 12k miles/year). I also track my annual costs, looking up the KBB private sale price on the anniversaries of the cars' purchase. In the second four years, my ownership costs (maintenance, depreciation, interest (capital cost), and property tax (zero in Floriduh), or MDI&P) will be roughly half was it in the first four years. I'll be driving a BMW for the price of driving a Hyundai that is four years newer. I'd rather have the BMW. My MDI&P in the first four years was about $1/mile. It will likely be around $0.50/mile in the second four years.

You don't say where you are. But, it it's anyplace with sunlight you need to start worrying about it's cumulative effects on the car: paint, upholstery, plastic inside and out. If you take care of the car it can still look new after seven or eight years. It takes some effort, bur likely far less effort than earning the money to buy a new M4.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170831 actual & project costs 2014 bmw 535i.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	239.0 KB
ID:	794970  

Last edited by Autoputzer; 05-14-2018 at 05:58 AM.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:28 AM

Mein Auto:
It does seem and feel like a no brainer. I only drive 4-6K miles a year and the car is always garaged. My main holdup is that I normally never buy a car off a lease, but in this case the residual is equivalent to a wholesale auction price (which is a price the public can seldom obtain). I just wish there was something out there that was better. I am literally shopping the same cars that I did back in 2015 when I decided on the M4.

Perhaps the best thing to do is buy the car and then upgrade in a few years when the new model arrives. Curious what others would do... anything exciting out there that has your attention?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2018, 06:33 AM

With F8X M3/4 production ending, BMW has conveniently decided to upgrade the M2 with the S55, better cooling, better brakes, and better seats. All 2019's will have the Competition Package and the higher price. Hopefully, they will also ramp up M2 production. They've kept it artificially low as not to cannibalize M3/4 sales.

I kept my E46 M3 twelve years. It's funny, one day you're driving a new car, and before you know it people are asking you to bring your car to car shows.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye-1 View Post
It does seem and feel like a no brainer. I only drive 4-6K miles a year and the car is always garaged. My main holdup is that I normally never buy a car off a lease, but in this case the residual is equivalent to a wholesale auction price (which is a price the public can seldom obtain). I just wish there was something out there that was better. I am literally shopping the same cars that I did back in 2015 when I decided on the M4.

Perhaps the best thing to do is buy the car and then upgrade in a few years when the new model arrives. Curious what others would do... anything exciting out there that has your attention?
A friend if mine is on his second F22 (M235i, M240i) lease. He drives about 4k miles/year. But, he doesn't take care of his cars cosmetically. Another friend was thinking about buying the M235i when it came off lease (maybe have the leaser buy it and then sell it to him for a few bucks more). But, when he looked at the paint, front bumper, wheels, upholstery, steering wheel, etc., he passed.

Last edited by Autoputzer; 05-14-2018 at 07:04 AM.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:19 PM

Mein Auto:
I realize the M2/235 is a nice deal, but I donít want anything smaller than the M4. The only other small car I considered is the Porsche 911, but I find it to be boring unless you opt for an S with all the options.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:49 AM

Quote:
I realize the M2/235 is a nice deal, but I don't want anything smaller than the M4. The only other small car I considered is the Porsche 911, but I find it to be boring unless you opt for an S with all the options.
I keep cars a long time. I'm 59, and my current BMW is only four years old. So, I might only have one more expensive car in my future. It's either going to be a 911 or an M2. I'd also prefer an M4, but for the cost I'd rather pay a few dollars more and get a 911.

The big advantage a 911 has over a BMW is traction under acceleration and braking. The 911's 40/60 weight distribution means more power gets to the back wheels and the back wheels take on more of the braking duties. Every M car without carbon ceramic brakes ends up cooking the brakes under heavy track use. (I found this out on a hot June day at Road Atlanta at 140 MPH in an E90 M3.)

The 911's 40/60 weight balance used to mean the car wanted to kill you with snap oversteer. But, with a wide rear track and wide tires in the back, and with stability control, that problem has been solved.

Last edited by Autoputzer; 05-15-2018 at 07:02 AM.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 BMW M4
Quote:
My Ď15 M4 is coming off lease in 3-4 weeks and i am not sure what to do. My car only has 16K miles and looks like new. When i look at new cars nothing jumps out at me as a better option. I can buy the car from BMWFS for $45K (not bad considering used M4s with more miles go for up to $6-8K more). I tried seeing if local dealers can negotiate a better buyout, but BMWFS will only reduce to the Manheim market rate (which is nearly identical to my buyout). I am just looking for advice and realize there is no right answer.
I also have a 2016 M4 and I will be buying it, after long consideration of my options. I thought about letting it go back and purchasing the new 2019 M2 but decided that my car is more enjoyable and special to me than the new M2 which will be expensive, weigh as much as my M4, and has no exciting color choices. And I'm thinking why lease another newer M4 when there has been virtually no body style changes and my car is low miles. Really a no brainer.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:16 AM
10 YEARS!!!

Send a message via AIM to JT///M3
Mein Auto: 2017 LSB F80 ZCP
no brainer, just keep. I'm facing the same decision in 3 months and my residual is around 46k and I too am not liking anything else out there.
2002 525iT Alpine White M Sport

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M3 & M4 > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
Today's Posts Search