$1,900 for tire and wheel protection ??? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M3 & M4 > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)

F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
F80 BMW M3 sedan, F82 BMW M4 coupe and F83 M4 convertible forum. This 5th generation M3 and all new M4 features a 3.0 liter twin turbo engine (engine code S55) 425hp and 406lbs of torque! Heavy use of light weight materials makes this generation lighter and faster then the outgoing E9x M3.

Old 09-27-2017, 09:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2017 540i xdrive
$1,900 for tire and wheel protection ???

Any thoughts on this robbery? 19" wheels on my 2018 m4. Never cracked a rim in my life. Flats and nails occur. Repairs can also be done on some nails. Could use some input

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2017, 10:51 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 18' Tesla Model 3 Perf.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickb_dmd View Post
Any thoughts on this robbery? 19" wheels on my 2018 m4. Never cracked a rim in my life. Flats and nails occur. Repairs can also be done on some nails. Could use some input

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
doesnt sound like you need to buy it, then right? What input are you looking for?

2019 X3 M40i Phytonic Blue |Blk Leather W/Blue Stiching | Alu. Rhombicle trim | Adaptive Suspension | Premium Pack | Drivers Assist | Drivers Assist + | Wireless Charging | 21" 718 Wheels| | Executive Pack | HK Stereo (hers)

18' Tesla Model 3 Performance |blue /blk|Perf. pack|FSD

BMW CCA #477341
Old 09-27-2017, 01:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650 Coupe, 2015 M4
I paid $1249 back in 2014, original price was $1600-$1800, there is some wiggle room on their
price don't let them kid you. Name your price your willing to pay and if they refuse don't get it.

2015, M4 Coupe, Alpine White, Black Nappa leather,
BMWCCA Member since 07/2008
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2017, 08:45 PM
Glaird

Mein Auto: F10-'16 550i, F82-'18 M4
Unless one lives in a really bad neighborhood, where the car is parked outside all night, I've come to the conclusion no one is seriously interested in stock alloy wheels for any make/model vehicle (To verify this, check prices on the national fence site, eBay). Now, at least 6 new vehicles into "blinged up" stock alloy wheels, as an industry fashion statement, the very first act I perform when I pick up my new car, is go to the parts counter, buy 4 stock lug nuts/bolts and replace the 'keyed' counter parts when I get home. (The last thing my wife needs, if she needs to change a tire, is to fumble around with those clumsy keyed lug caps.)

My wife cut the corner on a parking slot and put a pretty nasty scrape in the very edge of the rim. $150 later, I had a custom wheel repair handyman polish out the ding, paint to match, and reinstall the wheel. Now, I can't see the repair, and I know where it is.

I think most any insurance or paid for warranty is not worth the real risk of loss. To be extra risk adverse, take the money you are thinking about spending on what ever warranty, buy SPY or SDY ETF. By the time you may need to pay for a repair, you'll have made money instead of spent it.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2017 M3
I have a 2017 M3. I had a screw in my front passenger tire. While attempting to drive to the dealership... the tire somehow disappeared. Ended up driving on my rim as i attempted to pull over on the highway. Had to get my tire and rim replaced. This would have cost me over $1500 plus installation.

When I got the car, I got the wheel and tire protection plan from Zurich for $550(its cost more than that). The plan comes with zero deductible and unlimited claims can be made supposedly. Took the car to my local dealership and my plan covered the whole cost. So in my case it has more than paid for itself. Its worth it in my book.
Old 10-21-2017, 02:33 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickb_dmd View Post

[input]
Old 10-21-2017, 02:35 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoast45 View Post
I have a 2017 M3. I had a screw in my front passenger tire. While attempting to drive to the dealership... the tire somehow disappeared. Ended up driving on my rim as i attempted to pull over on the highway. Had to get my tire and rim replaced. This would have cost me over $1500 plus installation.

When I got the car, I got the wheel and tire protection plan from Zurich for $550(its cost more than that). The plan comes with zero deductible and unlimited claims can be made supposedly. Took the car to my local dealership and my plan covered the whole cost. So in my case it has more than paid for itself. Its worth it in my book.

A screw?

You could have been on your way in minutes; avoided everything above. Dude!
Old 10-23-2017, 09:34 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Most large, national tire chains will sell you a 'road hazard policy' on a brand new car/new tires.

Cost seems to be 13-17% of the tire price, per tire. So 400 tires will be 60 per tire, 240 for the set.

You will be covered for tires. Rims? No. Don't break rims. Or use your auto insurance to cover those

When you buy rteplacement tires, by the warranty each time

FAR cheaper that the BMW plan

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Old 10-25-2017, 07:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2018 M4
in my opinion tires are very important and costly to repair. The m4 is a high performance machine, therefore its probably a good insurance policy to have access to tire replacement should an incident arise. Same goes for scratch and dent. Why spend so much money on a high performance machine and neglect its appearance or jeopardize safety. Replacing tires is never fun thing before a road trip. haha.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:12 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxdj1 View Post
in my opinion tires are very important and costly to repair. The m4 is a high performance machine, therefore its probably a good insurance policy to have access to tire replacement should an incident arise. Same goes for scratch and dent. Why spend so much money on a high performance machine and neglect its appearance or jeopardize safety. Replacing tires is never fun thing before a road trip. haha.
Don't forget the Upholstery Protection Package;

the Special Undercoat Protection Package;

the Windshield Wiper Package

I mean, why have an expensive car if you cant bend over and pay for every nonsensical package there is?

Has nothing to do with jeopardizing safety (which is actually a pretty nonsensical thing to say). Are you somehow saying people will get flats and drive around on flat tires without a plan to pay for the repair?

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

Old 10-25-2017, 08:18 PM

Are the 20 inch rims on my m4 runflats? I don't think they are. I'm saying that in my legacy gt, zero issues ever with tires. 428, multiple tire replacements (3) at 280$ per. this is just pay now or later hedging on maybe not having a flat or not. Did someone on this thread also drive on a rim? Caveat Emptor. I think the question was more financial related? which imho is if youre questioning a negotiable financeable 1900.00 item on a 70K plus car, then we are probably going to have issues later replacing said tire.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:46 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
428, multiple tire replacements (3) at 280$ per.

this is just pay now or later hedging on maybe not having a flat or not. Did someone on this thread also drive on a rim? Caveat Emptor. I think the question was more financial related?

which imho is if youre questioning a negotiable financeable 1900.00 item on a 70K plus car, then we are probably going to have issues later replacing said tire.
Point is a simple $42 per tire, TIRE policy would cover those replacements. Not a 1900 BMW wheel + tire policy.

If you are intimating "if you cannot afford a 1900 tire policy when you are buying a 70k car, maybe THAT is a problem"... well thats just dumb

Old 10-26-2017, 07:00 PM

you lost me at 42$ per tire...what quality outside of coctails and entry level steaks does that buy?

Last edited by alexxdj1; 10-26-2017 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:36 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
you lost me at 42$ per tire...what quality outside of coctails and entry level steaks does that buy?

As I posted above, most national tire chains will sell a tire hazard plan for 15% of the tire price

You posited $280 per tire.

15% is therefore $42

Americas Tire, Discount Tire, BigO tire.... prices may vary a bit, some may be 13 or 17. Drive your new ar over there, ask the manager if he'd sell you certs for the new tires.

Thats per tire, so $168 for 4. And it only covers that one set, so when you get new tires you need to get the plan on the new tires.

Of course there is the plan to not get insurance out of the box, buy replacement tires and add the roadhazard as you replace tires.

Here's an idea: For 280 per tire, thats 1200 for a set of 4. You could buy a new set of 4 tires WITH the road hazard for 1200+160 = 1360....so LESS than the 1900 BMW plan. Throw away the BMW tires and still save money.

One big benefit? YOU get to chose your replacement tires- dont want OE run flats? Want a different profile/size? All fine. With the BMW plan, you must get OE fitments/models

Old 10-26-2017, 08:49 PM

what tires though? subgrade? are you saying that if I also or anyone else ripped the rims out they would be better off on that plan. rims are not cheap. So is it better to just worry about tires and not rims? the rim upgrade is like 3k while the insurance for FIVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVE years is 1900. wheres the opt out win?
Old 11-04-2017, 02:45 PM

Mein Auto: 18 M4 ZCP Cabrio & 18 X5M

Quote:
what tires though? subgrade? are you saying that if I also or anyone else ripped the rims out they would be better off on that plan. rims are not cheap. So is it better to just worry about tires and not rims? the rim upgrade is like 3k while the insurance for FIVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVE years is 1900. wheres the opt out win?

What I believe ARD meant is if you wanted to change the tire OEM tire performance. For example, only the 20" ZCP M's come standard with Michelin Super Sports, so if you ordered the 19" rims and want the Super Sport tires if ordered from a national chain like TireRack road hazzard insurance is included. The BMW Tire & Wheel Protection is administered by a 3rd party, Safe-Gaurd Products, and will not cover if the tire is less than 2/32".

Personally, I have always changed the OEM RFT since BMW introduced RFT for my previous non-M vehicles and replace with performance tires on both vehicles. All blow outs have been covered by TireRack's insurance. Out of pocket cost was around $1,100. Each vehicle needs 2 rims to be re-finished prior to lease turn in next month @ $155 per rim. So my total cost is around $1,500.

Problem with the BMW insurance is that you would still be responsible for replacement tires at lease end if the thread is less than 2/32", which for an M series is easily both rear tires at around $600. Total cost for BMW plan for a lease would be $2,500.

Anyway you look at it out there is a sunken opportunity cost.

Going forward, my ED M4 upon US re-delivery will have the new Michelin 4s installed (replacement for the OEM Super Sports will be saved for lease turn in). With the tire size of the X5M and no other available high performance opition, I'll still pay out of pocket for replacement tires and decline the 3rd party insurance as a replacement set of 4 is around the monthly lease payment. I expect to have tire blow outs for both vehicles, but you have to pay to play.
2015 435 Cabrio M ED 9/14-Rtd
2011 X3 35i M PCD 6/11- Rtd
2011 335is Cabrio ED 9/2010-PCD 12/10-Rtd
2007 X3is PCD 1/07-Rtd
2007 335i Cabrio PCD 6/07-Rtd
2004 328i Cabrio PCD 3/04-Rtd
BMW Driving Experience Tracks:
Arjeplog Ice Training 2019
Nordschleife 2012 & 2018
Intensive Training for Professional Drivers 2017
Hockenheimring 2014
Advanced M VIR 2011
BMWCCA
Old 11-04-2017, 05:01 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
what tires though? subgrade? ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibiza View Post
What I believe ARD meant is .
I got tired of dealing with him. Clearly he ran out of comprehension runway....

HE was the one that mentioned $280 per tire, so that was the number my example used.

The key to my posts here is that you can buy road hazard plans for the tires that come on a new BMW for far, far less than the BMW plans. Event if you buy new tires every 2 years it is far less. Only an absolute idiot cant understand that.

(If you break a lot of rims on your car, AND FEW PEOPLE DO, then maybe the bmw plan is better. Ive broken one rim in 1.5M miles driving, I can self insure for that...)

Old 11-04-2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
I got tired of dealing with him. Clearly he ran out of comprehension runway....

HE was the one that mentioned $280 per tire, so that was the number my example used.

The key to my posts here is that you can buy road hazard plans for the tires that come on a new BMW for far, far less than the BMW plans. Event if you buy new tires every 2 years it is far less. Only an absolute idiot cant understand that.

(If you break a lot of rims on your car, AND FEW PEOPLE DO, then maybe the bmw plan is better. Ive broken one rim in 1.5M miles driving, I can self insure for that...)

I have never had a cracked rim so far with 7 BMW'S and have driven a few miles after a tire blow out. Agreed, I will also stay self insurance. BMW CCA discount is 20% off of parts if rim needs to be replaced, that's if your unsuccessful with a manufacturer defect claim to have covered under warranty.
2007 X3is PCD 1/07-Rtd
Nordschleife 2012 & 2018
Hockenheimring 2014
Advanced M VIR 2011
BMWCCA
Old 11-05-2017, 06:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 650 Coupe, 2015 M4
Up in the northeast pot holes are a constant issue especially during and after the winter season
as roads get salted and they deteriorate. I've had two cracked rims on my cars both by hitting
potholes at night when visibility is very low. The Wheel and Tire protection came in very handy.

2015, M4 Coupe, Alpine White, Black Nappa leather,
BMWCCA Member since 07/2008
Old 11-05-2017, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elias View Post
Up in the northeast pot holes are a constant issue especially during and after the winter season

as roads get salted and they deteriorate. I've had two cracked rims on my cars both by hitting

potholes at night when visibility is very low. The Wheel and Tire protection came in very handy.

Understood, I would too if I still lived in New York, but roads don't have pot holes in the South. An other Northeast tax that adds to the significantly higher cost of living.
2007 X3is PCD 1/07-Rtd
Nordschleife 2012 & 2018
Hockenheimring 2014
Advanced M VIR 2011
BMWCCA
Old 11-05-2017, 02:31 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

I always say "Use your personal experience based on where you live and how you drive. DO NOT be scared by salesman telling you 'oh those low profile wheels are made like Fabergé eggs...' "

(I also know what I can pay for take off rims versus dealer prices, so there's that...)

Old 11-05-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
I always say "Use your personal experience based on where you live and how you drive. DO NOT be scared by salesman telling you 'oh those low profile wheels are made like Fabergé eggs...' "

(I also know what I can pay for take off rims versus dealer prices, so there's that...)

Best is dealing via e-mail with a out of state dealership that has to FedEx the lease documents, no pressure from the F&I for these policies. Can peacefully sign in your home. An other Southern living perk of the PC only a $130 one-way flight to GSP and 3 hr drive back to Charleston.
2007 X3is PCD 1/07-Rtd
Nordschleife 2012 & 2018
Hockenheimring 2014
Advanced M VIR 2011
BMWCCA
Old 11-08-2017, 06:12 PM

cool on tires. what is your solution to OEM rims that the plan also covers?
Old 11-08-2017, 06:16 PM

so youre talking about a lease which I also had on my 428, tires all day and plenty of rim damage which I was lucky to have a 75$ per finisher at the dealer. Meanwhile, tires are tires. THe car I actually bought now is an 18 m4 with 20s not 19s and the black matching wheels. should one of those get curbed, I feel that the plan would be great since there is no out of pocket as this just seems to be a reserve incidental insurance. not bad. what I'm really questioning now is the 'scratch and dent' I was sold or am not told, dentless paint repair...whatever the **** that means after ive paid for it.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
so youre talking about a lease which I also had on my 428, tires all day and plenty of rim damage which I was lucky to have a 75$ per finisher at the dealer. Meanwhile, tires are tires. THe car I actually bought now is an 18 m4 with 20s not 19s and the black matching wheels. should one of those get curbed, I feel that the plan would be great since there is no out of pocket as this just seems to be a reserve incidental insurance. not bad. what I'm really questioning now is the 'scratch and dent' I was sold or am not told, dentless paint repair...whatever the **** that means after ive paid for it.

I have the 666M black for my ‘18 F83 also. I’ll just go self insured. I’ll just absorb the $155 per rim to get refinished if I have major curb rash. I have already put $4,000 of mods into the vehicle in Germany (made it pass US CBD& VPC), and another $7,000 to install stateside. Fixing a rim is a small cost relative to the amount of $$$ sunk into the vehicle.
2007 X3is PCD 1/07-Rtd
Nordschleife 2012 & 2018
Hockenheimring 2014
Advanced M VIR 2011
BMWCCA

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M3 & M4 > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
Today's Posts Search