Anyone thinking of moving to an M5? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M3 & M4 > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)

F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
F80 BMW M3 sedan, F82 BMW M4 coupe and F83 M4 convertible forum. This 5th generation M3 and all new M4 features a 3.0 liter twin turbo engine (engine code S55) 425hp and 406lbs of torque! Heavy use of light weight materials makes this generation lighter and faster then the outgoing E9x M3.

Old 07-01-2018, 06:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 997
Anyone thinking of moving to an M5?

Recently read a C & D comparo where the new M5 soundly spanked a Panamera turbo as well as Cadillac and the Merc E63. Seems to be getting phenomenal reviews and my local stealership is already offering 5K off sticker.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2018, 07:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96redLT4 View Post
Recently read a C & D comparo where the new M5 soundly spanked a Panamera turbo as well as Cadillac and the Merc E63. Seems to be getting phenomenal reviews and my local stealership is already offering 5K off sticker.

Jim

Yup. If I was to choose between them the M5 would be in my garage. No question. I had a Panamera Turbo as a loaner and it was a beast but the M5 is more so. 600 hp and 553 ft-lb it’ll blow the doors off most anything. I’ve sworn off super expensive perf cars since I retired. The Mrs. gives me that look whenever I start to drool over one. Same look I get when I look at pretty girls! So I’ve been buying older sports cars and driving them for a couple of years. Just sold a SL500 after 2 years of owning it. It’s an affliction of expensive proportions.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest mobile app

Last edited by Lennysx5; 07-01-2018 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2018 BMW M3
I had a F90 M5 on order which arrived a few months ago but I changed my mind at the last moment. Here are my reasons:

Looks: Once again, BMW played way too conservative with this car. Unless you're a car enthusiast or a BMW fan, you can't tell a F90 M5 from any other 5 series out on the road. No wide fender flares, no aggressive front splitter, rear spoiler, or diffuser. Just like the F80/82, BMW forces you to shell out $$$ for M-performance or aftermarket parts to make the F90 look anywhere decent. Booooo….

Sound: The souped-up 4.4L TTV-8 in the F90 is an incredible engine, but it's still way too quiet for my liking. Granted it's not as crappy as the stock exhaust in the F80/82 but once again, BMW forces you to spend more $$$ for the M-performance exhaust (or aftermarket). But even then, it still is no match for the E63's epic grunt.

Interior: The F90's seats, tech, and B & W sound system are fantastic, but the interior design is a letdown. It's not much different than any other 5 series, and compared to the E63's, it still looks dated.

Final Analysis: In my opinion, the F90 is plain overkill for a road car. Unless you plan on going to the track regularly, it's waste of money. With my '18 M3, I have yet to barely even come close to reaching its limits. Cars like the F90 and the E63 have so much power and tech, it's way too easy for anybody to drive fast and hard. Just step on the gas and go. It's almost boring. What I love about old school sports cars like my Ferrari F430 is that it takes some skill to drive well. And once you learn to do that, the rewards are immense.

Going forward, I may wait for the upcoming new 850i which to me looks stunning and may well be BMW's best looking car in it's current lineup. However, I also have my eye on a slightly used Porsche 911 GT3. I had a chance to test-drive one a few weeks ago and it was hands-down, the best handling and pure driver's car I've ever experienced.
2008 Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano: Nero/Cuoio; F1 superfast trans; Daytona seats
2010 Lambo Gallardo Spider LP560-4: Nero Noctis/Nero

Last edited by psb1013; 07-01-2018 at 09:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2018, 10:27 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
my local stealership is already offering 5K off sticker.

Jim
$5k off?!?

Its a no brainer!

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Old 07-02-2018, 06:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2017 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by psb1013 View Post
I had a F90 M5 on order which arrived a few months ago but I changed my mind at the last moment. Here are my reasons:

Looks: Once again, BMW played way too conservative with this car. Unless you're a car enthusiast or a BMW fan, you can't tell a F90 M5 from any other 5 series out on the road. No wide fender flares, no aggressive front splitter, rear spoiler, or diffuser. Just like the F80/82, BMW forces you to shell out $$$ for M-performance or aftermarket parts to make the F90 look anywhere decent. Booooo….

Sound: The souped-up 4.4L TTV-8 in the F90 is an incredible engine, but it's still way too quiet for my liking. Granted it's not as crappy as the stock exhaust in the F80/82 but once again, BMW forces you to spend more $$$ for the M-performance exhaust (or aftermarket). But even then, it still is no match for the E63's epic grunt.

Interior: The F90's seats, tech, and B & W sound system are fantastic, but the interior design is a letdown. It's not much different than any other 5 series, and compared to the E63's, it still looks dated.

Final Analysis: In my opinion, the F90 is plain overkill for a road car. Unless you plan on going to the track regularly, it's waste of money. With my '18 M3, I have yet to barely even come close to reaching its limits. Cars like the F90 and the E63 have so much power and tech, it's way too easy for anybody to drive fast and hard. Just step on the gas and go. It's almost boring. What I love about old school sports cars like my Ferrari F430 is that it takes some skill to drive well. And once you learn to do that, the rewards are immense.

Going forward, I may wait for the upcoming new 850i which to me looks stunning and may well be BMW's best looking car in it's current lineup. However, I also have my eye on a slightly used Porsche 911 GT3. I had a chance to test-drive one a few weeks ago and it was hands-down, the best handling and pure driver's car I've ever experienced.

The OP’s comparison was M5 vs Panamera, Caddy and E63. If you want to toss a GT3 in the mix there is no comparison or more appropriately “There is no Substitute”! However the GT3 is altogether different vehicle and really cannot be compared to the others.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 07-02-2018, 09:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 E93 & 2018 F80
For some reason BMW can't sell that many M5 can't break the barrier, the power on this car is wicked fast and as psb1013 mention on his write up the sound and appearance is OK just like any other 5 series.
2014 F30 335i Melbourne Red ( Sold )
2013 E93 M3 Melbourne Red DCT
2012 E93 Space Gray (Retired BMW buy back)
2009 E82 ( Sold )
2006 E90 ( Sold )
2001 E46 6MT ( Sold )

My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Old 07-02-2018, 03:07 PM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: M3

Quote:

Jim

I am. But I am concerned that I may not like it due to the size and weight. At M track days it felt isolated, big and heavy despite being quite fast. I was also disappointed with how mundane the F90 looks for a M car and this was after seeing the M5 competition. Long story short, I am on the fence....

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

Last edited by Alpine300ZHP; 07-02-2018 at 03:12 PM.
Old 07-04-2018, 01:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 BMW M4
Quote:
Originally Posted by psb1013 View Post

I agree with your rationale and I am one that is impressed with the M5's performance but not it's appearance. I have a 2016 M4 that does have that "stealthy" appearance (Mineral Gray) and with the tune, downpipes, chargepipes, cai, and exhaust it is a beast. I would not consider trading it for an M5
Old 07-05-2018, 05:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 Q5 3.0T / 2016 M3
The stealthy look is a plus in my book. But the big issue for me is size. The F90 is a foot longer than the F80 and about 4" wider... it will be a real tight fit in a standard size 2 car garage that already has another wide car or any SUV.

To put it in context, The F80, at 184" long is about the same length as E34 M5 and 4" shorter than the E39 M5. The F30 is also wider and taller than E34 and as wide and tall as the E39 M5. What I'm trying to say is the G30/F90 5 series is a big HUGE ass car... It's not really practical for me. I don't need to "move on" to the M5... BMW already made the 3 into the new 5 as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by bzcat; 07-05-2018 at 05:28 PM.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 BMW M4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
The stealthy look is a plus in my book. But the big issue for me is size. The F90 is a foot longer than the F80 and about 4" wider... it will be a real tight fit in a standard size 2 car garage that already has another wide car or any SUV.

To put it in context, The F80, at 184" long is about the same length as E34 M5 and 4" shorter than the E39 M5. The F30 is also wider and taller than E34 and as wide and tall as the E39 M5. What I'm trying to say is the G30/F90 5 series is a big HUGE ass car... It's not really practical for me. I don't need to "move on" to the M5... BMW already made the 3 into the new 5 as far as I'm concerned.
Agreed

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M3 & M4 > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
Today's Posts Search