BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

On or Off: Active Blind Spot/Collision/Lane Departure

8K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  MrGolden 
#1 ·
For those that have the Active Blind Spot, Collision Warning, and/or Lane Departure Warning...do you leave them on (active) all the time or do have any of them turned off?

During the 1st few weeks of ownership...I had all three on...but found the Lane Departure Warning annoying and not really useful for the mostly urban/city driving I'm in...it was the 1st to be turned off. Perhaps if I was on the interstate on a long trip with night driving...I'd probalby be inclined to activate this feature. :dunno:

I was about to turn off the Collision Warning because up until the 3rd week of ownership...it never came on. In fact, I thought it may not even work because in certain scenarios of trying to see if it worked...it never activated. But then one night on a two-lane dark winding road...there was a car in the on-coming lane that appeared from a distance to be pulled over on the side of the road. As I neared the car (traveling around 45 MPH), another car in the same lane as the car that was pulled over crossed over into my lane to go around it. That's when the audible fastly repeated "beep-beep-beep-beep" went off...I braked as the oncoming car quickly swerved around the car on the side of the road back into their lane.

Then the next day after the event above...I was following a car that abruptly braked to make a right turn without signalling...and sure enough...this time I got the audible alert along with the visual red warning on the instrument cluster. And since that time, another event that was similar with a car in front of me making an abrupt move caused the audible & visual alert. So, just when I thought I might be deactivating the Collision Warning...these events led me to leave it on.

In regards to the Active Blind Spot warning...that's a definite "keep activated" at all times for me.

What say the forum? Do you keep them all activated (along with the night vision if so optioned) or have you determined that some of these features can be deactivated most of the time?

{FYI: for those that didn't know, the Collision Warning icon is different from around 2014-up}

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Honestly i only two systems on , Collision warning and Blind spot warning , the LKAS is in my opinion useless , only engages after 70 km/h. i might keep the system on if i'm driving long distances and feel a bit sleepy other than that i keep it off.

Collision warning cannot be turned off permanently every time i turn it off , it will re-engage at next engine start up . What i have done it modified in settings to give me a late response/alert for the collision warning system.

#4 ·
Thanks for the input. I asked this question on another forum and the sentiment seems to be the same in regards to the lane departure. Most leave it off unless traveling late at night on dark roads & slightly tired but pushing through to their final destination.

#5 ·
I keep all three on, all the time. However, I quickly learned to ignore the Lane Departure, because there's not enough of an indication - I'm usually not looking in the instrument display area, and the steering wheel vibration isn't very noticeable.

The Blind Spot warnings also aren't as obvious as they should be, and I don't depend on them because they're NOT reliable. There have been several occasions in which a car was in my blind spot, and the sensors didn't warn me. I believe it's an inherent design flaw because this is my third F06 and they've all done it. I've driven a few newer Audis and theirs are much better, so are those on my wife's Panamera.

I still wouldn't trade, though :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.