BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Leaked coolant while stored in underground parking

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  targaone 
#1 ·
So I rambled on a bit so TLDR: left car stored, has a big puddle of coolant, where should I start. also is there a fuse that would cause codes for all 4 o2 sensors.

Hello, So I bought my 2002 M3 last summer in California. I drove it back to Utah stopping in Vegas to have the vanos rebuilt because it wasn't sounding right to me and I didn't want to take any risks. After that the car ran great until I put it in my underground parking to be stored over the winter. I went down and checked on it every once in a while starting it for a bit to make sure everything was fine. When I went down to start it most recently I noticed a big puddle under the front of the car under the passenger side. Upon further inspection I found that all the coolant had leaked out. My first thought was with it being a California car the previous owner used water instead of coolant and it froze. I did however have the shop do a full coolant flush and I confirmed they did it by contacting the shop that did the work, and I believe them as they are a pretty reputable shop. I filled the tank with water just to see if it would leak out and after running it for a bit then leaving it for a few days not much had leaked out. Today I drove the car around the garage for a bit and noticed it was leaking quite a bit while driving. My guess would be either hosing or a water pump but I'm not really sure where I should start. I also have a ses light and while trying to scan it I keep getting errors then eventually I got a few codes that I believe are all 4 o2 sensors. Is there a fuse that might be blown that would cause this? I also can't reset the light, is that normal? It might just be my obdii tester i've had for ages but figured I should throw that in while I'm at it.

See less See more
#2 ·
Fuse? No. You have a 17 year old car with multiple problems, mechanical and electrical. There is nothing more expensive than a cheap BMW. Take it to a reliable specialty shop and pay your share.

#3 ·
def sounds like you have more than 1 issue. was car on a battery tender? Low battery will cause some prblms. looks w a flashlight to see where the leak is.

#4 ·
It***8217;s not about not being able to afford to fix it. If I was worried about money I wouldn***8217;t have bought the m3 in the first place. I just thought it was odd that all 4 o2 sensors would go at the same time and figured I should start small and go from there.

#5 ·
I would find a local indy shop. Have them start by fixing up your cooling system then whatever basic maintainance you need. Brakes , cooling , belts , suspension, tires , electrical. Along the way they will do a scan code check... this stuff is not unusual for an older car , especially a bmw.

Make sure the basic bones of the car are good enough to justify all the repairs before you start writing checks... corrosion, prior accidents, massive computer issues are something to look at before the first 800 or 1200 dollar installment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.