Hope no one was on the Golden Ray - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 09-09-2019, 03:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325i, X1, M4
Hope no one was on the Golden Ray

Vehicle carrier essentially capsized coming out of Brunswick, GA on its way to Baltimore. I have no idea what is was carrying but looking at their itinerary I doubt it was BMWs. My concern is Im doing ED on 9/17 and my car will come into Brunswick. So I hope it doesnt disrupt shipping operations for long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2019, 03:52 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
It was carrying Hyundai. It had unloaded to leave today 9 Sept. It was away from the port facility about in the sound. I used to live right above BMW POE Charleston, seventeen floors up.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2018 BMW X1 Xdrive
Latest report I read says the ship is blocking access to the port of Brunswick.
2012 BMW 128i Convertible (red) RETIRED
2015 MINI Cooper Convertible (blue) RETIRED
2015 BMW X1 X Drive (blue) RETIRED
2018 BMW X1 X Drive (black)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2019, 02:31 AM

Mein Auto: 325i, X1, M4
Article today quotes a local fisherman who is concerned is could take months or a year to clear the boat out of the way. Ugh. According to vesselfinder it looks like there are already quite a few ships stacked up just offshore.

If that were to be the case I would assume BMW would divert cars to Baltimore or New Jersey VPC. Do BMWs come into Charleston or just leave from there?
Old 09-10-2019, 11:54 AM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi 4dr; '03 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by akthorp View Post
Article today quotes a local fisherman who is concerned is could take months or a year to clear the boat out of the way.
In other words, some random dude with a boat who provides "local color" but knows no more about large-vessel salvage than you or I...probably less. No one's going to cut this thing up and haul it away piecemeal. They're going to right it, float it, and tow it the hell out of there, ASAP.

When MV Hegh Osaka grounded with a severe list, off the Isle of Wight four years ago, she was refloated and moved to a safe anchorage in less than a week, in port for repairs two weeks later, and back in service barely a month after that. The owners of a two-year-old, quarter-billion dollar asset will not tolerate "months or a year" for recovery.

BMW CCA
Old 09-12-2019, 06:18 AM
Using SPF 45

Mein Auto: 2004 330Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeichen311 View Post
In other words, some random dude with a boat who provides "local color" but knows no more about large-vessel salvage than you or I...probably less. No one's going to cut this thing up and haul it away piecemeal. They're going to right it, float it, and tow it the hell out of there, ASAP.

When MV Hegh Osaka grounded with a severe list, off the Isle of Wight four years ago, she was refloated and moved to a safe anchorage in less than a week, in port for repairs two weeks later, and back in service barely a month after that. The owners of a two-year-old, quarter-billion dollar asset will not tolerate "months or a year" for recovery.
The Osaka didn't fully tip over (just a severe list), whereas the Golden Ray has. So the question is whether this is closer to the Osaka situation or the Costa Concordia situation. No doubt the owners and the port want a quick resolution for all the obvious reasons, but that doesn't mean it can happen.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanning machine View Post
The Osaka didn't fully tip over (just a severe list), whereas the Golden Ray has. So the question is whether this is closer to the Osaka situation or the Costa Concordia situation. No doubt the owners and the port want a quick resolution for all the obvious reasons, but that doesn't mean it can happen.
True...depends how badly the hull was damaged. Concordia was holed; haven't heard that's the case here but who knows. I have a feeling the environmental concerns over all the petroleum in the ship & cargo may prove the bigger problem. It's gonna be interesting....

BMW CCA
Old 09-12-2019, 08:20 AM

Mein Auto: E93,E36 M3,E39,E46
Old 09-12-2019, 11:46 AM

The sunbathers in the photograph are:
  1. Searching for news about the capsized ship in front of them
  2. Texting each other about the capsized ship in front of them
  3. Completely unaware there is a capsized ship in front of them
  4. Shopping for a new, new Hyundai

Too soon?

BMW CCA
Old 09-13-2019, 01:57 PM
D'oh, You Kids!

Mein Auto: E24x2,E36x3,E30x2, F150
buying a ratty example (of a BMW) is a parasitic relationship.(and you ain't the mosquito) 7pilot
Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, Bimmerfest Site Moderator
BMW-CCA #441426

1993 325is M3 clone"Ashlyn"; 1993 325is "Elvira"; 1985 635CSi "Katja"; 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"; 1987 325is "Odette";1995 318is"Bebe "; 1985 325e "Hazel Ann"

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > European Delivery
Today's Posts Search