Tire sizing help, tires rubbing well. - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension

Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension
Discuss everything about wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your BMW.
Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

Old 08-04-2019, 04:45 PM

Mein Auto:
Tire sizing help, tires rubbing well.

So I recently bought a 2007 bmw x3 3.0 and it has 19" rims on it that were not stock. Anytime I make a turn and especially a u-turn I can hear them rubbing and it will even slow the car as if Im pushing on the brakes. Im also assuming this could be affecting my brakes as my brake light will come on even tho they seem to be working perfectly. The tire sizes are front 245/45r19 and the back are 275/40r19. The stock size for this vehicle was 235/55r17... Im hoping I can fix this issue by simply getting new tires and not having to purchase rims as well. Does anyone know what size tires I could get so that they fit perfectly and do not cause any rubbing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2019, 10:29 AM
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!

Mein Auto: 1999 740iS, 2008 335xi
So they are rubbing on the inside of the wheelwell when you turn? Are the wheelwells assembled correctly? How about adding a spacer?
Without also knowing the width of your rims (can only assume staggered by tire sizes) or any other pieces of data it would be just guesses at a good size. Since stock was 17" and they are now 19" though that's a fair drop in tire profile, you may not like the harshness you end up with by sticking with 19's.
Try playing with one of the many online tires size calculators (such as discount tire) to find what combinations of width & profile fit your 19" wheels and are close to stock diameter/circumference. You can also google "recommended tire size for rim" to see what widths are best once you find out the actual width of your rims.

Sent from the future using Tapatalk downloaded to my neural implant

2005 Venture Extended LT - what else you gonna drive when you have 6 kids, cargo and still want better than 10MPG
1999 740iA - long term project/summer DD
2000 Impala LS - RIP 12/23/2016, officially totaled by insurance company
2001 330xiA - fXtXeX/son project - now April's car
2008 335xiA - winterbeater Impala replacement
2002 530i/5 - 2.5 years searching...and it is John's car
1989 535i/5 - the spare car
2002 325xiA - to be Charlotte's when she gets her license (?2019?)
Old 08-10-2019, 11:12 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Those tire sizes appear to be a proper optional fitment.

So that size tire SHOULD world. One can therfore conclue that it is the offset of the rim that is your problem.

If you cannot figure out how to look and see what the problem is, you need to go to a shop....

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Selec...tivity+Package

also, it shouldnt be causing the 'brake light' to come on... you need someone to look at this for you

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2019, 12:49 AM

Mein Auto:
I am having same problem i got a 2004 bmw 325i and i got new rimms witch are 245 40 zr18 and they are rubbing in the back what should i do get spacers for the spring or what please help!
Old 12-14-2019, 04:30 AM

Mein Auto:
Try a 225/35/19 in the back and a 40 in front, or consider getting a fender roll
Old 01-06-2020, 03:22 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 318I
You can chk out the Pitstoparabia BMW tires catalog to find the best suitable tires for yous. They have listed recommended tire sizes for all bmw models on their website

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension
Today's Posts Search