Module Identification-Behind Glove Box - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 01-25-2020, 01:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3
Module Identification-Behind Glove Box

Hello Everyone,

Thanks in advance!

I am a newby to Bimmerfest and repairing BMW's, I am a Volvo gal lol.

I am trouble shooting a slow crank no start in my dad's 2001 BMW Z3 Roaster Coupe 6 Cyl. He passed away a little over a hear ago... unfortunately the car was caught in limbo. I am slowly working my way through the car and found a mouse house behind the glove box. No through and through severed wires but definite compromise of sheathing.

I have the Bentley BMW service repair manual (book) for the Z3. The manual does not provide module locations for 2001, as far as I could find in the diagrams or the schematics. Would someone please help to identify the modules in the picture so that I can cross reference the schematics from a downloaded PDF pertaining to the correct year.

Kind Regards!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2330.HEIC.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	879751  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2020, 02:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 Z3 3.0i
The top unit is the ZKE(GM4) general module. Can't remember the other two.
Old 01-25-2020, 04:03 PM
1998 BMW Z3 2.8L

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW Z3 2.8L
All Z3's come wired for an alarm system. That module is also located behind the glove box along with the computer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2020, 05:49 PM
BMW CCA 1405

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3 1.9 5MT
Some id's in this, but may not apply to you.
Old 01-25-2020, 07:08 PM

Thank you!
Old 01-25-2020, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ00Z3 View Post
The top unit is the ZKE(GM4) general module. Can't remember the other two.
Thank you! One down, two to go lol.... woohoo!

Kind Regards

Last edited by AnastasiaLKerr; 01-25-2020 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-25-2020, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage42 View Post
Some id's in this, but may not apply to you.
Thanks for sharing. I did see this video but found it not particularly applicable which was a bummer. I don't want to just start pulling modules in order to identify them to match them with the video or part number unless I absolutely have to. With older cars sometimes you touch one thing and end up with a whole new problem lol.

Kind Regards!

Last edited by AnastasiaLKerr; 01-25-2020 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-25-2020, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfunk View Post
All Z3's come wired for an alarm system. That module is also located behind the glove box along with the computer.
Yes, good info, when I browsed through the list of fuses I looked for any that directed me to behind the glove box. I am most concerned regarding the module to the bottom right (the white one) since it had three wires which are compromised. I need to get to know the car so hope to be able to identify them all.

Kind Regards!
Old 01-25-2020, 11:30 PM

Mein Auto: 1996 1.9L BMW Z3 roadster
I'm not convinced that video is applicable for the Z3. I've removed my glovebox and visited that location eons ago.

The shelf behind the Z3 glovebox indeed holds 3 modules. One large, two small. The large is allotted for the dealer-installed keyless entry module. It sports the pre-wire harness. Every few years, I'd check to see if BMW released an updated keyless entry module that used a rolling code, but they never did.

After two decades, I no longer remember what the third module was for, but the 2nd one was the whole reason I was willing to tackle a glovebox removal... others had pointed out the Z3's basic windshield wiper module could directly be swapped out for the wiper module from a 7 series of that time. This gave an intermittent function. LeatherZ has it shown here:
https://www.leatherz.com/products/in...e-wiper-module

If you still have access to the area, just pop the part number(s) off the modules into RealOEM and the description might provide enough hint on what it does.

1996 Z3 roadster
2013 X3 xDrive28i
2013 X5 xDrive35i Premium
Old 01-26-2020, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterTG View Post
I'm not convinced that video is applicable for the Z3. I've removed my glovebox and visited that location eons ago.

The shelf behind the Z3 glovebox indeed holds 3 modules. One large, two small. The large is allotted for the dealer-installed keyless entry module. It sports the pre-wire harness. Every few years, I'd check to see if BMW released an updated keyless entry module that used a rolling code, but they never did.

After two decades, I no longer remember what the third module was for, but the 2nd one was the whole reason I was willing to tackle a glovebox removal... others had pointed out the Z3's basic windshield wiper module could directly be swapped out for the wiper module from a 7 series of that time. This gave an intermittent function. LeatherZ has it shown here:
https://www.leatherz.com/products/in...e-wiper-module

If you still have access to the area, just pop the part number(s) off the modules into RealOEM and the description might provide enough hint on what it does.
Thank you! Tackling removal of the glove box was a bit of a task, so little room to maneuver. Most appreciate of your descriptions regarding modules. I have no intention of reinstalling glove box till I am certain all damage is repaired. Am I to understand correctly that I can unclip the third module (white) without disconnecting it to access the part number? That would be lovely.

I must say regarding the compromised wires to that module I noticed a couple of things:

I could hear the passenger door chime as well what sounded like the antenna engaging when I had key on ACC. and "fiddled with wires." I thought perhaps it might be some type of general control module. Some light reading before sleep last night, I followed the schematics for the door chime and antenna.... double checking the wire colors today to be sure but it seemed to be promising.

Kind Regards
Old 02-05-2020, 11:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 Z3 2.3
You can pull the modules out pretty easily. I'd just pull them and lookup the part number that should be on the module itself.
Old 02-06-2020, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbourne99 View Post
You can pull the modules out pretty easily. I'd just pull them and lookup the part number that should be on the module itself.
Thank you!

Should i disconnect battery before pulling modules?

Kind Regards
Old Yesterday, 04:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4M Coupe
You didn't specified if this is 3.0 or 2.5. Hope this help.

Assuming you have fuel and spark, crank no start usually is related to crank position sensor.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Z3 Behind Glove Box.pdf (118.9 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by RobMCoupe; Yesterday at 04:23 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
Today's Posts Search