Doesn't Anyone Buy Anymore? - Page 114 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 11:29 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicfront View Post
Everyone is making 18 + percent on their investments over the last 10 years. I love it. Warren Buffet should hire you guys as obviously he has no idea what he is doing.
My bad. I'll ask my financial planner to be less successful with my money so I can sound more credible in fanboy discussion forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicfront View Post
Anyway Leasing really doesn't make sense from a financial standpoint. Because if you are only driving 10,000 miles a year your car should easily last you 10 years with minimal maintenance. Interest rates on new cars are so incredibly low you are basically getting the money for free. If you drive 25,000 miles a year you wouldn't want to keep your car very long but then it wouldn't make sense to lease either as your payment would be so high. If you drive 10k a year for 3 years you would still have 30k miles and a year left on the warranty.
Most of us are in the camp of wanting a new car every 3 years. The average BMW owner holds onto it for 4 last time I read the statistics. If I truly wanted to save every nickel on a car I'd buy something CPO and drive it 20 years. Cars are more important to me than that, I want to have fun, I want to be in-style, so leasing is right for me. Financially, the win in buying vs. leasing every 3 years or 6 years is very slight, only takes one accident or one major repair to make it all for naught.

BJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2014, 11:30 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '16 328i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
I'm making way more than 18%.

I sent all my money to my uncle in Nigeria to invest. I didn't even know I had an uncle in Nigeria - actually I had no idea I was Nigerian, until I got an email from him a few months ago. He has been sending me statements almost every week and I can't believe what a brilliant investor he is.

Without his advice I never would have bought into the Consolidated Taxidermy IPO but fortunately I was able to get in on the ground floor!

CA
Possibly the best post of the whole thread.

Men on an internet car forum, who could quite possibly be 17 year old boys, talking about their investment portfolios, 18-22% returns, financial planners and how much money they have.

I think the beating a dead horse icon was right on. Time for me to get back to planning my next Occupy rally...

BJ, pardon me, but do you have any Grey Poupon?

Over and out...

R.I.P- 2014 320i Sport Pkg | 2010 VW GTI |2010 Mazda 3 2.5

Last edited by Kafkaesque328; 10-01-2014 at 11:40 AM.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:39 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 535d
Did his letter happen to be hand typed on onionskin paper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
I'm making way more than 18%.

I sent all my money to my uncle in Nigeria to invest. I didn't even know I had an uncle in Nigeria - actually I had no idea I was Nigerian, until I got an email from him a few months ago. He has been sending me statements almost every week and I can't believe what a brilliant investor he is.

Without his advice I never would have bought into the Consolidated Taxidermy IPO but fortunately I was able to get in on the ground floor!

CA

Current
2014 535d, M Sport, Space Gray/Mocha Nappa

Prior
2007 530i, White/Black, 6MT
2001 530i, Orient Blue/Beige, 5MT
1994 325is, White/Black 5MT
1984 325e, White/Black 5MT
1983 318i, Delphin/Beige 4MT
Old 10-01-2014, 11:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkaesque320 View Post
Possibly the best post of the whole thread.

Men on an internet car forum, who could quite possibly be 17 year old boys, talking about their investment portfolios, financial planners and how much money they have.

I think the beating a dead horse icon was right on. Time for me to get back to planning my next Occupy rally...

BJ, do you have any Grey Poupon?

Over and out...
There is no point in lying, I've been posting here for almost a decade and will be happy to meet you in a neutral location in front of witnesses and share my W2's and Portfolio statements if it makes you happy.

You are struggling a bit with the Bimmerfest community in some aspects and you shouldn't. Understand please that for every 30-something newb here with a $32,000 320i there are a dozen 50-something veterans with a $60,000 335i. The lower priced 3 Series is only a few months old and you're an early adopter. That's a good thing, not a bad thing, you're driving a great car. But please understand that there are others in a different economic and age-related place than you are and we deserve your consideration as well. Calling us liars isn't proper. We aren't bragging about our money; we are using our real-world financial examples to help prove a point in a thread about economics.

BJ
Old 10-01-2014, 11:41 AM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: M4 Cabrio - Cayenne GTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordoor View Post
It's much easier to make 18% when you're only managing a few million, you aren't combining other people's money, and you're in a situation where replacing losses is relatively easy because your yearly income is high relative to what's under management.

Said differently: It's unfair to Buffet to compare his return over the past 10 years with the 18% of fellow 'festers because Buffet has to manage a whole lot more money and he cannot easily replace losses with new cash (note that I don't know what Buffet's gotten over the past 10 years but I'm assuming it's less than 18% but maybe he is that good).
As has been often said "The first million is the hardest"

My investment strategy was to forget about the first million and to start with the second million.
I figure as soon as a finish with the second million I will have enough money to go back and begin work on the first million.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club (Watkins Glen International)
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Porsche Club of America
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
M Gruppe (New York Metro/New England Regional Director)
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 10-01-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
There is no point in lying, I've been posting here for almost a decade and will be happy to meet you in a neutral location in front of witnesses and share my W2's and Portfolio statements if it makes you happy.

You are struggling a bit with the Bimmerfest community in some aspects and you shouldn't. Understand please that for every 30-something newb here with a $32,000 320i there are a dozen 50-something veterans with a $60,000 335i. The lower priced 3 Series is only a few months old and you're an early adopter. That's a good thing, not a bad thing, you're driving a great car. But please understand that there are others in a different economic and age-related place than you are and we deserve your consideration as well. Calling us liars isn't proper. We aren't bragging about our money; we are using our real-world financial examples to help prove a point in a thread about economics.

BJ
No one's calling anyone a liar, although 18-22% returns over a ten year span in the stock market makes you a bit of a market guru, statistically speaking.

You're right, the age and economic range as far as income, net worth, etc. is vast. The only thing I struggle with is how some can't help it with the smug, pretentious, self aggrandizing back patting and stroking. It gets a little nauseating. That's all. That's the only thing I get annoyed with.

Other than that, it is refreshing and nice to be on a discussion forum with people who actually know something about finance, etc. Bimmerfest is overall very informative and I hope that, though my style can be a little blunt, I have from time to time contributed something of value.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
No one's calling anyone a liar, although 18-22% returns over a ten year span in the stock market makes you a bit of a market guru, statistically speaking.

You're right, the age and economic range as far as income, net worth, etc. is vast. The only thing I struggle with is how some can't help it with the smug, pretentious, self aggrandizing back patting and stroking. It gets a little nauseating. That's all. That's the only thing I get annoyed with.

Other than that, it is refreshing and nice to be on a discussion forum with people who actually know something about finance, etc. Bimmerfest is overall very informative and I hope that, though my style can be a little blunt, I have from time to time contributed something of value.
You definitely contribute things of value, I truly enjoy our dialogues.

Understood that things can get smug, but after all, we are driving BMW's. It sort of goes with the territory. I am no market guru; I just happened to fall into a relationship with an investor who is.

BJ
Old 10-01-2014, 12:06 PM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblahh View Post
I drive 25k a year, no way would I buy a new bmw and do that, lease or used otherwise the depreciation hit and hassle selling a high mileage car is just too much you loose your behind

the mileage overages they charge are a bargain

Ditto. I keep trying to tell people this, but my advice often falls on deaf ears. The only people that know this truism are those that have actually done it like us.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-01-2014, 12:21 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 19 MB G550, 19 X3 3.0
Quote:
It's much easier to make 18% when you're only managing a few million, you aren't combining other people's money, and you're in a situation where replacing losses is relatively easy because your yearly income is high relative to what's under management.

Said differently: It's unfair to Buffet to compare his return over the past 10 years with the 18% of fellow 'festers because Buffet has to manage a whole lot more money and he cannot easily replace losses with new cash (note that I don't know what Buffet's gotten over the past 10 years but I'm assuming it's less than 18% but maybe he is that good).
BINGO!!!!! Yes - high income, living well below that income level, large safety cushion, and free to invest in a non-balanced inordinate level of risk taking manner.

Oddly enough, no one call me a liar when I said I was 14 yr old hoping to drive a 3er someday. I guess that was more believable.

Quote:
We aren't bragging about our money; we are using our real-world financial examples to help prove a point in a thread about economics.

BJ
BINGO AGAIN!!

Quote:
Oddly enough, I find "the only people who lease are the one's who can't afford it" statements to be smug, pretentious, self aggrandizing, back patting, and stroking. With well over 5,000 posts over seven years here at the Fest, I finally snapped and decided to share some of my personal financial numbers to provide a reference as to why I lease. Quite frankly, it was a failed attempt to shut up the lease nay-sayers. I'll go back to talking about the greatness of diesels, engine tuning, AWD, wheels, and tires. No more financial posts for me.

BMWs
2019 X3 3.0 Sport Utility Vehicle
2015 M6 Drophead Coupé
2015 328dx Estate
2013 X5M Sport Utility Vehicle
2013 650xi 2 Door Fastback Saloon
2011 Dinan 5 Saloon
2011 335d Saloon

Other
2019 MB G550 Zombie Apocalypse Vehicle
Old 10-01-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post

Oddly enough, I find "the only people who lease are the one's who can't afford it" statements to be smug, pretentious, self aggrandizing, back patting, and stroking. With well over 5,000 posts over seven years here at the Fest, I finally snapped and decided to share some of my personal financial numbers to provide a reference as to why I lease. Quite frankly, it was a failed attempt to shut up the lease nay-sayers. I'll go back to talking about the greatness of diesels, engine tuning, AWD, wheels, and tires. No more financial posts for me.
I agree and I found the insights useful, or rather, they helped to reinforce what I already knew that I have tried to tell people as well; to no avail. Many people are crippled by conventional wisdom, regardless of age and it's frustrating.

Quote:
You definitely contribute things of value, I truly enjoy our dialogues.

Understood that things can get smug, but after all, we are driving BMW's. It sort of goes with the territory. I am no market guru; I just happened to fall into a relationship with an investor who is.

BJ
In all seriousness, if I were to follow your model of leasing what you can afford and keeping the payment in line with being 'reasonable' based on my income and/or age, one could argue I am driving the perfect car. Because if you really have/make as much money as you claim to, which I'm not really doubting, and if you are in your 50's and trying to enjoy a nice car without being excessive, then a 328 Luxury Line is an almost 'modest', fiscally responsible choice on your part and is the same as me driving a car like mine, all things being relative. Me driving your car right now, with my income etc. would not be a responsible move on my part.

Last edited by Kafkaesque328; 10-01-2014 at 12:35 PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:36 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535d
This is entirely without foundation. Most investors with a few million do not have access to the tools and resources, at reasonable cost, that larger investment firms do. The only reason that smaller investment firms (by "small" I mean <$1b AUM) can outperform larger players, is that their trades don't have as much market impact.

Quote:

Current
2014 535d, M Sport, Space Gray/Mocha Nappa

Prior
2007 530i, White/Black, 6MT
2001 530i, Orient Blue/Beige, 5MT
1994 325is, White/Black 5MT
1984 325e, White/Black 5MT
1983 318i, Delphin/Beige 4MT
Old 10-01-2014, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2017 VW GTI Sport MT
Thanks to all of you who have resorted to personal attacks and cynicism this thread has finally reached the point of no return. Locked!
Old 10-01-2014, 12:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 M4 ZCP
Quote:
When did a decade start becoming 5 years?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	467400  
Closed Thread

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search