trading in question - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > Ask-A-BMW-Dealer

Ask-A-BMW-Dealer
Talk to our team of BMW Client Advisors from supporting BMW dealerships. Get all of your BMW pricing, ordering, buying, financing, and leasing questions answered here!

Old 06-04-2019, 08:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW
trading in question

Just a general question on trading my 1er in for a 2er (used) from a BMW dealer

My car has not done earth to the moon millage but it's a few k short of 100k
is condition more important on millage, when assessing a trade-in
or does it get to a point that, millage /condition is not that important, but say
options and year,

millage varies but is due to go up a bit

txs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2019, 09:06 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Imo the dealer will send it to auction. And will price it for trade accordingly.

When was the last time you saw a BMW dealer selling a car with 97,xxx + miles??

Find the lowest priced car as a private party sale,,,and take off one-third

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Old 06-12-2019, 01:46 PM
former motorcycle rider

Mein Auto: F87 & F01
Options mean little on trade. Year, miles, color, condition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2019, 02:05 PM

Mein Auto: 328xi
You will achieve your best price by selling it yourself. Just don't make the mistake I see all the time on cars for sale in the Classifieds of BMWCA.org. Several are seriously overpriced and even though in excellent condition with plenty of options they don't sell.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:33 PM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: M3
trading in question

Great advice by all and ardís advice sums it up perfectly. Expect to get rock bottom value at any dealer. If you donít want to sell it privately (I wouldnít), take it to Carmax and see what they will give you for it. Iím sure itís the most you will get for it absent a private party transaction. They can give you a bank draft on the spot and you walk away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2019, 04:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
I've sold eleven cars in my life. Eight of them went to people I know (friends or co-workers). There are people around you who like, need, want, and can afford your car. The trick is to find them before you sell your car, and keep a list. One of the three strangers who bought one of my cars is now on the waiting list for my 535i.

I was sitting in our 'hood's annual homeowners' meeting a few weeks ago. One of my 160 neighbors said "A friend of mine wants to buy your BMW." I'm not ready to sell, and the car's manual transmission might have canxed her interest. But, there are six people on the list already.

Options affect the value of the car. But, options depreciate faster than the base car and further (usually down to $0) as the car gets older.

The "list thing" works the other way, too. A friend of mine has business cards printed up that say "I want to buy your car: today, tomorrow, or years from now. Please contact me when you're ready to sell."

I sold an E46 M3 on BMWCCA.org's classified board in about 15 hours (posted in the late evening, had an e-mail in my box the next morning). I asked slightly over KBB. I then got 200 to 300 other inquiries. That many gave me a good feel for what people look for in a used BMW: "one owner," "original paint," "bone stock."
Old 06-12-2019, 07:04 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
hi guy's
txs for the replies. I think I asked this a while ago, but I am now closer on buying,
I had asked on various ways of selling a car, trade-in, sell privately etc etc
and that was helpful, and I explained my reasons for all options,

as in tire kickers, test pilots, scammers, no we don't have carmax in canada, trade-in takes the tax off the car sale,
even if I sell, I can't be car less, inbetween cars, just wont work, rentals are too expensive, even long term rental,
yes I know I take a hit, but it takes time to find the right car, I'm sure people, brighter , smarter than me , can make it work
so yes I do , honestly I do understand, I did some test adverts, at the time, pretty much around the KBB price, no takers
of course then you get time waster by telemarketers, even autotrader, refused to take me ad, I think the pictures where
too good and so was the write up, I think they thought I was a dealer, FFS, that wasted time as well

and I really only wanted the specific question answered, not a don't trade it in argument.
beemerguy and autoputzer, came closest to an answer that I need at the moment

my work is changing, and I'm going to be doing more millage and wanted to see if THAT had a significant effect on trade-in or actually even private sale.

that said, i interviewed for a job 15mins down the road (instead of doing 80kms a day!) so I could get lucky.

many ts
Old 06-13-2019, 10:14 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye944 View Post

beemerguy and autoputzer, came closest to an answer that I need at the moment
The "answer you need"??? or the CORRECT answer?

See you in 18 months when you are back to trading it. Again.

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

Old 06-14-2019, 10:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 650 Coupe, 2015 M4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine300ZHP View Post
Great advice by all and ardís advice sums it up perfectly. Expect to get rock bottom value at any dealer. If you donít want to sell it privately (I wouldnít), take it to Carmax and see what they will give you for it. Iím sure itís the most you will get for it absent a private party transaction. They can give you a bank draft on the spot and you walk away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When I was returning my 2015 M4 l went to Carmax to see if they would beat my residual because my car was close to 15k miles under my allotment and they were still $2-$3K under
my residual so needless to say Carmax was a big waste of time. To get the most value sell
it privately.

2015, M4 Coupe, Alpine White, Black Nappa leather,
BMWCCA Member since 07/2008
Old 06-14-2019, 11:37 AM

Mein Auto: F02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elias View Post
When I was returning my 2015 M4 l went to Carmax to see if they would beat my residual because my car was close to 15k miles under my allotment and they were still $2-$3K under
my residual so needless to say Carmax was a big waste of time. To get the most value sell
it privately.
Just depends on the region and need for your car. If you were trading in a more everyday type of vehicle, you'd probably get closer to KBB.

2018 Lexus LS500 (current)
1984 Chevy Monte Carlo SS (current)
2018 BMW X6
2016 Chevy Corvette
2012 BMW 750Li
2014 Lexus GS350
2013 Lexus ES350
2010 Nissan Maxima
2009 Dodge Challenger R/T
2006 Dodge Charger SXT
1990 BMW 735i
Old 06-15-2019, 10:10 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayR04 View Post
Just depends on the region and need for your car. If you were trading in a more everyday type of vehicle, you'd probably get closer to KBB.
For all you know, he might have been $20k over "KBB". (doubtful, but just saying.)

He said 'residual'..also "KBB" isnt a price, its a company. KBB publishes, in general, 3 prices: Trade in, private party, dealer sale. And again, no idea where BMWs residuals sit within those 3 prices.

Old 06-15-2019, 11:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
BMW lease residuals have historically been slightly higher than KBB "retail" (dealer sale). But they're supposedly getting closer now, meaning that BMW leases are more expensive now.

I was looking at a 2013 BMW recently, but the owner was asking way too much. After dealing with the "schemers, dreamers, and Nigerian princes," he sold it to Carmax getting about $1000 below the bottom of the KBB private sale window.

On average, I've kept cars slightly over eight years and about 110k miles. At that point, KBB private sale values are nothing, 5% (Frau Putzer's banged up Honda Civic) to 20% ("one owner," "original paint," "bone stock" BMW M3) of MSRP when new. But, $1000 to $10,000 used cars sell like hotcakes. The last car we sold was Frau Putzer's twelve year old Honda with 147k miles. We had three friends fighting over it. Ironically, two of them were millionaires. One wanted it for a beater. The other wanted and got it for her granddaughter who's exceptionally rough on cars. Her other grandkids, the ones who don't tear up cars, got new cars from her.

Last edited by Autoputzer; 06-15-2019 at 11:09 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > Ask-A-BMW-Dealer
Today's Posts Search