VW Golf Sportwagen to 330i wagon? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 07-14-2019, 12:29 PM

Mein Auto:
VW Golf Sportwagen to 330i wagon?

Has anyone gone from a VW Golf Sportwagen to a 3 series wagon?I'm a VW fan to the core but I worry that my time to get into a 3 series wagon will be over if I don't pick up a used 2018 soon. It's been a bit since it test drove one so that's on the docket for this week.

If anyone has gone MK7 Golf to 3 series, I'd like to hear your impressions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2019, 03:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328xi
Went from a diesel sportswagon to a 3 series sedan. BMW costs more, but quality is much higher than VW and you are more likely to find a good BMW dealer than a good VW dealer.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:40 PM

Mein Auto:
Thanks. Any thoughts about the sporting nature of them versus each other? In your experience? I'm a reformed hot hatch driver (Mini Cooper S and GTI among them) but as a middle aged female, I'm maturing (a bit) in my car tastes. The Golf wagon is really good for the price in that area but needs some more oomph, which an ECU tune would do. But the more luxurious nature of the BMW appeals to my middle aged-ness. Like so many, I'm looking for the perfect mix, whatever that is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2019, 06:57 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by DE09 View Post
Has anyone gone from a VW Golf Sportwagen to a 3 series wagon?I'm a VW fan to the core but I worry that my time to get into a 3 series wagon will be over if I don't pick up a used 2018 soon. It's been a bit since it test drove one so that's on the docket for this week.
Many people with Jettas (and Passats) of all types used their diesel buyout monies to move to BMW a few years back. They universally loved their new car.

As far as handling, remember that all 3-series Sport Wagons are xDrive, which means that only two suspensions are available: the standard xDrive (probably 90%+ of them), and the adaptive (which isn't any sportier but does have the shocks that can harden the suspension.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2017 VW GTI Sport MT
Neither are going to be that sporty. The BMW will have more power and refinement but the VW is lighter and of course less expensive. If you want to mod them, both for power and suspension, the FWD VW will be easier as there are a lot of relatively inexpensive options available. The BMW of course has good power already. Too bad VW doesn't make a GTI version of the Sportwagon.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:21 AM

Mein Auto:
Thanks for these thoughts; they mirror my own exactly. I bought the VW with the intention of modding it but it will never be a GTI so I've been thinking that good speed already plus more refinement might be a good choice. Lots of test drives and thinking to do.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:24 AM

Mein Auto:
I have both. I have a fully loaded SEL Sport wagon Diesel 2015 that is far more comfortable seat wise than the 328D I just picked up. My 328D seats sit lower and I find the stock seat very uncomfortable. The sport seats were even worse for me. Drive-wise, the BMW is much more in tune with the road, the fun factor is higher, and suspension refined. The interior on BMW also nicer for simplicity but the VW is not bad. I guess to sum it up the VW is a more comfortable daily driver or long drive car but the BMW is the car to take out on the weekends with fun roads or mountain type driving. I live in Colorado. The VW ironically sits much higher than the BMW ground height and is good in the snow. My BMW has not been tested yet (Just got her) but sits very low ground height in comparison. Might be issues in deep snow in my opinion.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:49 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35d (traded in)
VW Golf Sportwagen to 330i wagon?

VW Golf and BMW 3 series in reality are not comparable. Golf is FWD based platform, with transverse engine and in the case of diesel, more than 60% of weight is in front. Forget suspension tuning. Whatever you do on Golf, there will be always front heavy dynamic, or understeer. BMW has longitudinal engine (proper set up) and in F30 diesel has about 52-53% weight in front. But, gasoline engines are perfectly balanced and 330i I think is 49/50 in RWD application. In AWD, maybe 50-50. B48 engine is better performance wise from EA888 gas engine in Sportwagen or 2.0T application. Not that EA888 is bad engine. But weight balance and engine position are key. That itself is huge difference dynamic wise. It allows great dynamic without super hard suspension. Someone said Golf is good in snow. They are always good in snow bcs of engine sitting in front of front axle. I have Tiguan 4Motion. In snow was better than my X5. But there is always that understeer. Fine in Tiguan, it is CUV, not cutting corners with it. But, if dynamic is imperative, BMW and GOLF cannot go into same sentence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by edycol; 07-15-2019 at 06:57 AM.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:35 AM

Mein Auto: A car
No comparison...one is a FWD econobox, the other is a premium RWD sport sedan.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:39 AM

Mein Auto:
Great comments here. Thank you. And agreed about the econobox!
Old 07-15-2019, 11:11 AM

Mein Auto: '17 328dx Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
As far as handling, remember that all 3-series Sport Wagons are xDrive, which means that only two suspensions are available: the standard xDrive (probably 90%+ of them), and the adaptive (which isn't any sportier but does have the shocks that can harden the suspension.
Not true. The xDrive Adaptive M suspension is "sportier" than the base xDrive suspension. The springs are firmer than base suspension for 4cyl xDrive cars (~20% front and ~14% rear). It brings the ride frequencies to about the same as RWD M-Sport (although those still have thicker sway bars).

If DE09 is planning on doing light suspension modifications (not a big DIYer) then the Adaptive M suspension w/ Dinan shockware might be a good choice. If she's planning on doing coilovers or new dampers anyways, then skip the Adpative M suspension. The thing to be careful with on the F31 though, is that few companies actually make an F31 specific coilover kit, and end up using the same springs/dampers from their F30 kits (Bilstein is one of them). This throws the front/rear ride frequencies out of optimal since the F31 rear weighs so much more and relies more on over damping to control pitch motions. That in turn increases harshness.

Last edited by FaRKle!; 07-15-2019 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:01 PM

Mein Auto:
Thanks for this. I would be light modder so this is good advice. I had an old GTI with a harsh suspension set up and I'm too old for that now.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:42 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d (traded in)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DE09 View Post
Thanks for this. I would be light modder so this is good advice. I had an old GTI with a harsh suspension set up and I'm too old for that now.

That is the problem that plagues VW cars. Great dynamic for how they are built, but comes at expense. I remember Audi B7 S4 and RS4. Properly mounted engine (longitudinal) but sits far ahead due to Torsen requirements. They had to stiffen that thing so much that it is seriously uncomfortable. Still had excessive understeer.
What I appreciate about VW is that they kept freaking oil dipstick in!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-23-2019, 12:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 320i
I have driven Jettas and Sport Wagons, as loaners, when I had my Passats. Youíre going to live the Bimmer. The Bimmer will handle sooo much better and throttle response is fantastic vs the VW.

Iíve owned both gas and diesel Passats and Iíve driven both diesel and gas Sport Wagons. Iíve also driven the 328D. Youíll love the Bimmer.

The only question is winter performance. The FWD VWs are superb in snow. I havenít had an opportunity to drive my F30 in snow. Either way...get a Bimmer.

Also, just know that youíll have to pay a lot more to get a Bimmer with the same features as a VW.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 07-23-2019, 02:53 PM

Mein Auto:
This is great info!!! I do think I'll love a BMW. I think VWs are great values (especially when gently used) but the BMW felt so much more settled.

Thanks for the excellent first hand info!
Old 07-23-2019, 09:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 328d Sports Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by scon4snow View Post
I guess to sum it up the VW is a more comfortable daily driver or long drive car but the BMW is the car to take out on the weekends with fun roads or mountain type driving.
I have both cars as well, 2015 GSW TDI and a 2017 F31 328d, and agree with above statement. The GSW is a great comfortable daily driver, but the F31 feels sportier and has a much better interior. Oddly, the GSW feels quicker off the line than the F31, which is strange since the former has a lower torque-to-weight ratio than the latter. Both are also on well matured platforms near the end of their production run (MK7 is about to be phased out and the F31 LCI is already EOP).

As far as gremlins are concerned. The F31 has had issues with the transfer case failing and EGR cooler leaks (on 328d), but seems isolated to 2016 and older. The Alltrack has had leaking moonroofs.

Also bear in mind that 2019 will be the last year for the GSW and Alltrack, as VW wont import them to the US anymore. You also get the 6-year bumper to bumper warranty.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:31 AM

Mein Auto:
Thank for this. I'm intrigued buy the statement that the VW is a better daily driver. I can see how, for sure, the BMW would be a better trip car. We just did 9 hours in the GSW and it was fine but I felt like I was back in my college car (which was over 25 years ago and I had a Jetta GLI then).

I have a 17 GSW so shorter warranty and I've already had a sunroof leak. My husband has a 17 Alltrack (no sunroof). Since we already have a VW and they're going away, was thinking of getting the BMW to replace the GSW. I'm trying to cling to small wagons and want to make a move while I can get a low mileage used one. We'd have one of each, which wouldn't be a terrible thing. These things seem to be the last of their kind in the US.
Old 01-19-2020, 07:39 AM

Mein Auto:
I have now been in the 328 wagon for 5 months and really warming up to it. I think the seats sit too low personally but use a cushion to raise me up. The driving in snow is quite performance like compared to my GSW. The steering on the Bimmer is much more responsive (Almost too responsive in my opinion) so you need to be on top of your driving game.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:06 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 530e
Quote:
Originally Posted by scon4snow View Post
I have now been in the 328 wagon for 5 months and really warming up to it. I think the seats sit too low personally but use a cushion to raise me up. The driving in snow is quite performance like compared to my GSW. The steering on the Bimmer is much more responsive (Almost too responsive in my opinion) so you need to be on top of your driving game.
Depending on where the OP is, there could be as many as three different seat varieties. Some like the BMW sport seats, some hate them. Most like the multi-contour seats but some hate them.

There is also a lot of debate about seat materials. Some like the Dakota leather, some (like me) think it is terrible and would get the sensatech before the Dakota (I really like the Nappa and Merino but I don't believe they are available on the new 3 series wagon and that is one of the reasons I upgraded to a 5 series a couple of years ago). My multicountour seats have something like 22 power adjustments.

About six months ago I got a Golf Alltrack for my daughter and son-in-law. They live a couple of thousand miles away so I haven't driven it much but did drive it a bit when I was there. It is a nice basic car but no comparison to either of my BMWs (my former 330e and my current 530e). The VWs have a reliability problem and the 2019 models in the US came with a 6 year warranty. That sold us on the VW (the other alternative for them was a Mazda CX-5) along with the lower height (better handling than an SUV and better height for my 5' daughter).

It really is an apples to oranges comparison. If one wants basic transportation, go for the VW; if one wants more, and is willing to pay for it, go for the BMW.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search