Bye Bye BMW- courtesy of BMW of Fremont - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > G30 (2017 - Current)

G30 (2017 - Current)
The next generation 5 Series, chassis code G30, arrives at dealers in February 2017. Looking like a scaled down 7 Series and riding on the CLAR platform, the new 5 Series will have a focus on lightweight and sporty performance. Engines options will come from BMW's new B family for the 530 and 540 and a turbocharged V8 for the M550i. Read more about the 2017 5 Series

Old 10-31-2019, 09:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 E55, '04 Sienna,
Bye Bye BMW- courtesy of BMW of Fremont

I have been loyal BMW customer since 00.

Probably bought more cars than needed in 19 years.

I paid over MSRP for my M cars. Put up with paying more for less.

2014 M5 owners gets free headphones and competition pkg and us 13 paid more gets nothing

06 M5 missed out on LCI and list goes on

I put up with following quality issue

1. 02 M3 the moonroof cover broke and hit me on the head while I was driving
2. Failed steering angle sensor on the 06 M5
3. Failed HPFP on 09 135i
4. Failed driver assistance camera on the 13 M5
..... etc

In 2019- BMW decided to monetize Apple CarPlay. So I will have to pay $300 to retain my CarPlay in my 19 530e and my wife 18 530e get it for free. Also took away the front fog.

But what happened this week really cross the line.

When I was buying my own 530e, I was in a hurry and there wasn't anything with bluestone and premium 2 plus exec in stock. So I settled for a premium 2 car with ugly 6WA cluster.

While in Germany for vacation bought a 6WB cluster and I was able to installed and coded to my car.

This week after BMW calling me none stop for come in for recall. I brought my car in to have 2 software update.

BMW Fremont decided to proactive files a claim with BMWNA as my cluster was flagged at none original (build list would show 6WA not 6WB). I wasn't told or notified until an hour before pickup. So they installed a 6WA and returned my 6WB as core to BMWNA.

As soon as I heard what my SA has done, I told him stop. I drove to the dealer immediately and told them to stop. They told me is too late.

I was given 2 options
1. Pay $2200 for a new 6WA so I can keep my 6WB.

2. Or accept BMW Fremont great service and pick up my car with the new 6WA.

Either way I am out additional 2K+ if I want to get 6WB back.

BMWNA said this is not their problem it's dealer issue.

Dealer said it's not their problem. I should be happy with a downgraded cluster.

1. I don't know which law gives BMW of Fremont the right to remove parts from customer car without authorization and notification.

2. I don't know which law give BMWNA to wash their hand clean since it was suppose to be a warranty claim that the customer has no knowledge of.

As of tonight- I just signed paper work for a new 2020 Audi E-tron to replace my wife 2018 530e.

My 2019 530e is still at BMW of Fremont which I won't even touch again. Since unauthorized work was performed without my consent or knowledge.

BMW has lost a loyal customer for life. This really really is beyond acceptable.
2011 Sienna limited AWD- Predawn Grey
2009 E93 M3- silverstone
2007 Gallardo- Arancio Borealis
2004 E55- Tectite Grey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2019, 04:45 AM

Mein Auto: See Sig
Wow, I find that a truly amazing story. While I'm the last guy to say "call an Attorney", this is one time I might consider it. It's unlikely that hiring an attorney would be cost effective, so maybe small claims court.
Previous BMW: 2012 550 M-Sport
Old 11-01-2019, 07:08 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 530e
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsC6 View Post
Wow, I find that a truly amazing story. While I'm the last guy to say "call an Attorney", this is one time I might consider it. It's unlikely that hiring an attorney would be cost effective, so maybe small claims court.
Wow is right. It is your car. The only remedy they can properly use would be to claim that your alteration somehow violated the warranty and void the warranty. But even there they would have to show how the change caused a problem (which for this change would likely be impossible for them to prove).

If they actually took a properly purchased part off your car and shipped it to Germany without your permission, that is theft.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2019, 08:28 AM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 540i; 428 GC; 340i 6MT
The OP doesn't state if he purchased the car or is leasing it. If leasing, the car belongs to BMWFS so they may be kinda-sorta within their rights, particularly if there is some difference between a German spec cluster and a US-spec one. But why in the world wouldn't the dealership call the client for his permission?

2017 540i MSport
2016 428 GC MSport

Prior BMW's
2018 340i RWD 6MT MSport
2015 X1 35i xDrive
2015 X1 28i xDrive
2014 535i MSport
2014 328i SportWagon
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 11-01-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
The OP doesn't state if he purchased the car or is leasing it. If leasing, the car belongs to BMWFS so they may be kinda-sorta within their rights, particularly if there is some difference between a German spec cluster and a US-spec one. But why in the world wouldn't the dealership call the client for his permission?
The OP said he was buying but people do use the term loosely. I agree that if it was leased, it is a somewhat murkier issue.

If it would be illegal to drive in the US with the change, then the dealership/BMW could possibly take the position of refusing to work on the car but, again assuming he bought it, I don't see that they have the right to take off his property and ship it to Germany and then hold his car captive
Old 11-01-2019, 11:08 AM

Mein Auto: BMW, Porsche
Have you tried to contact the owner/GM of the dealership?
Tell them you are going to go on a media campaign if you don't get this resolved.
Old 11-01-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfish View Post
Have you tried to contact the owner/GM of the dealership?
Tell them you are going to go on a media campaign if you don't get this resolved.
Good point.

https://www.bmwoffremont.com/dealership/staff.htm

On the website the ownership field is omitted. Hummh.
Old 11-01-2019, 12:01 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2020 750ix 2019 X3 30
Out of curiosity, I just looked up BMW Fremont. Absolutely awful reviews. I am wondering if OP will get anywhere with these guys. Taking out his display without informing him is pretty outrageous. Even if they thought it was the wrong display in the car, they could have picked up the phone and asked, "did you know the display is different?"
'19 G01 X3 30
Other: '14 MB E350 wagon
Past: 3 (F31, others), 5 (E39, E61 and F10), 7 & 8 series (twice!) BMW, C, E and S MBenzes, Alfa Romeo GTV, MGB, Toyota Celica, Lincoln, Saab, Volvo, Audi A6, A4, and others (even a Nash Rambler)(yes I am old )

Last edited by AlteBMW; 11-01-2019 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-01-2019, 12:27 PM

Mein Auto: BMW, Porsche
To me this is equivalent to the dealer taking off your factory (but not the ones the car was delivered with) wheels, removing and sending them back to BMWNA. If this cluster is going back to BMWNA what are they going to do with it? I would say it is their problem if YOUR property is being delivered back to them.
If you want to get nasty you should file a police report for them stealing your cluster. And then BMW NA will be in possession of stolen goods. I am not a lawyer so don't slam me on this...
Old 11-01-2019, 12:31 PM

https://www.bar.ca.gov/Consumer/Auto_Repair_Guide.aspx
Old 11-01-2019, 01:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2019 X3 Black Sapphire
I do hope the OP gets this resolved. It sounds like a real mess. I do wonder if there is any more to the story though. Maybe some miscommunication or something.
Old 11-01-2019, 04:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2018 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfish View Post
To me this is equivalent to the dealer taking off your factory (but not the ones the car was delivered with) wheels, removing and sending them back to BMWNA. If this cluster is going back to BMWNA what are they going to do with it? I would say it is their problem if YOUR property is being delivered back to them.
If you want to get nasty you should file a police report for them stealing your cluster. And then BMW NA will be in possession of stolen goods. I am not a lawyer so don't slam me on this...
+1. BMWNA needs to return the cluster to its rightful owner, and that owner is not BMWNA. I would start a suit against the dealer for outright theft. Get a lawyer to at least write a letter, and yes, if you have something there like "7 on your side" (Channel 7 in DC area), give them a call.

I'm taking my car in for service in the next couple weeks for a normal oil change and tire rotation. It hasn't seen the dealer since this same time last year. Gives me the shakes to even make an appointment. Last time I was there, they did the tire rotation, and actually noted on the service ticket that I had a patch in one tire (which I did), and I needed a new tire ASAP. That was with about 5K miles on the car and tires. They didn't dismount my tires from the wheels (to be able to see the internal patch), but they must have used a magnifying glass to find some fault.

I put the small "M" badges on my front fenders, like European models have. If the OP's dealer saw that, I wonder if they would have removed them for him since they are "non-standard"! VERBOTEN!!

Current: 2018 540i MSport | Med Blue/Cognac| MSport Brakes | Multi-Contour | HK | ZLP
Prior: 2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather

Last edited by markl53; 11-01-2019 at 04:54 PM.
Old 11-01-2019, 04:52 PM

The car was purchased not leased.

This is why I am super pissed off.
2009 E93 M3- silverstone
2004 E55- Tectite Grey
Old 11-01-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispykreme View Post
The car was purchased not leased.

This is why I am super pissed off.
As you should be. You should not be satisfied with less than the re installation of your display and some compensation for what they have put you through.

California is a great state to bring a class action law suit. I wonder what else this stealership has done.
Old 11-01-2019, 05:11 PM

I want to add more information so people can understand what is going on.

Timeline
Car was dropped off Monday at 8:20am for 2 recall

I was getting updated once a day that they haven't got to mine car from Monday to Tuesday.

Wed- 3:49PM about 1+ hours from pick up- I got a call from SA Yardano stating that they have problem with the last software update. But don't worry- they ordered me a new cluster as my 6WB is showing as none originally equipped (this is expected since the build sheet will show the car as 6WA). They got it approved by BMWNA and they are almost done with work but most likely won't be able to release the car until the following day.

I told him "No, Stop. I know what is going on. Do not change the cluster or file a warranty case." HE acknowledged my request and stated he will try to see what he can do with it.

I immediately drove to the dealership and made it close to 5PM. I told him again to STOP the replacement. Show me the program information and why they feel the need to order me a new cluster. The SA brought me to the back and trying to find the foreman. I was given the run around and I didn't see the result of programming or issues. Nothing was shown to me why the cluster needs to be replaced.

I went back to the service counter. I demanded to get my 6WB back. The SA went to the service manager. Service manager refused to give me my 6WB back unless I paid $2200 for the 6WA they just installed as warranty claim with BMWNA as BMWNA needs the core back.

I didn't want to make a scene so I left.

I am pretty sure what happened to my car.

1. The recall takes about 12 hours to complete.
2. My car was supposedly ready on Thursday morning- which means they had started to program the new cluster and recall- before they called me.
3. From my own GPS tracking- I see the car was moved into service bay on Tuesday around noon and there was update again late afternoon (from BMW APP- if car was started or turned on- you will get a timestamp)
4.The dealer was probably trying to bill BMW for extra work and thinking I will be happy with a downgraded cluster and simply trying to cut corner and get my car out ASAP while making extra money from BMWNA. Well- I am not ok with a downgraded cluster.

I owned the car. Its not a lease. No dealership nor BMWNA has the right to remove my property. Period.

What bothers me the most. The SA called me 3 times after 5pm. Left several voice mail and tried to shift the blame as I have give him the authorization. This is absolutely not okay.
2009 E93 M3- silverstone
2004 E55- Tectite Grey

Last edited by krispykreme; 11-01-2019 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-01-2019, 06:03 PM

Mein Auto: M550i, 540M-Sport, Scud
It's a hassle of time, but you could easily win this case in small claims court. Be sure to claim court costs, etc.
540 M-Sport package (Canadian market), factory Bluetooth phone integration, factory M-Audio 10" dual voice coil subs, Homelink, Eibach front and rear anti-roll bars, M5 rear traction rods, H&R 15mm wheel spacers, ST X (KW) coilovers, Strong Strut front upper stress bar, BMP strut tower reinforcement kit, Stop Tech ss brake lines, Akebono Euro Ceramic brake pads, Zimmerman rotors, Dinan Stage 1 software, USA Spec Ipod/Iphone integration.
Old 11-01-2019, 08:02 PM

I am still amazed by BMW NA

The assigned an executive customer relationship manager Tom.

He was suppose to call me today.

Guess what no called.

1. Called lawyer and prepare to sue BMW of Fremont and BMW NA.

2. Just filed police report.

All I wanted was my cluster back and an apology.

But BMW of Fremont and BMWNA responses so far is beyond acceptable.
2009 E93 M3- silverstone
2004 E55- Tectite Grey
Old 11-01-2019, 08:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2020 750ix 2019 X3 30
Please keep us apprised of what they do -- or do not do. BMWNA should hear about this too. No dealer should do what they did.
'19 G01 X3 30
Other: '14 MB E350 wagon
Past: 3 (F31, others), 5 (E39, E61 and F10), 7 & 8 series (twice!) BMW, C, E and S MBenzes, Alfa Romeo GTV, MGB, Toyota Celica, Lincoln, Saab, Volvo, Audi A6, A4, and others (even a Nash Rambler)(yes I am old )
Old 11-02-2019, 06:58 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 540i; 428 GC; 340i 6MT
I would file factual - not inflammatory - reports on Dealer Rater dot com, and also on this website. I forget if Bimmerpost has a page for dealer feedback; if they do, post this there as well.

Are you a member of BMWCCA? One of the really great - and under-utilized - services there is the Ombudsman service, which will intercede on your behalf if you are a member. https://www.bmwcca.org/ombudsmen The cost of membership is so low, and the benefits so significant, I don't understand why every BMW owner / lessee doesn't join.

I would also reach out to the CA Secretary of State office to see what support they may provide.

Finally, find out who the manager of BMWNA is, and send him a certified letter. Explain to him POLITELY that you have owned multiple BMW's are upset that this happened, and are even MORE upset that the promised call from "Tom" never materialized. While you understand the dealership is an independent entity, you are really peeved that BMWNA won't show you the courtesy of following htrough as promised. Before you lawyer up, you wanted to give them an opportunity to make things right.

2017 540i MSport
2016 428 GC MSport

Prior BMW's
2018 340i RWD 6MT MSport
2015 X1 35i xDrive
2015 X1 28i xDrive
2014 535i MSport
2014 328i SportWagon
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 11-03-2019, 06:34 AM

Mein Auto: 40e
You really haven't given this Tom fellow much time.
Old 11-03-2019, 12:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2018 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyinacar View Post
You really haven't given this Tom fellow much time.
His cluster has already been stolen and shipped to BMWNA. What should he be waiting for. OP, continue your legal options ASAP. The police report is an excellent step, IMO.

Current: 2018 540i MSport | Med Blue/Cognac| MSport Brakes | Multi-Contour | HK | ZLP
Prior: 2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather

Last edited by markl53; 11-03-2019 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11-03-2019, 08:11 PM

One thing that needs a little clarity...was the dealer saying the only way to perform the software update was to put the original type cluster back in the car?
540 M-Sport package (Canadian market), factory Bluetooth phone integration, factory M-Audio 10" dual voice coil subs, Homelink, Eibach front and rear anti-roll bars, M5 rear traction rods, H&R 15mm wheel spacers, ST X (KW) coilovers, Strong Strut front upper stress bar, BMP strut tower reinforcement kit, Stop Tech ss brake lines, Akebono Euro Ceramic brake pads, Zimmerman rotors, Dinan Stage 1 software, USA Spec Ipod/Iphone integration.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540 M-Sport View Post
One thing that needs a little clarity...was the dealer saying the only way to perform the software update was to put the original type cluster back in the car?
If so, the dealership had an obligation to give the pwner a choice...do the update and change the cluster or not do the update.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
If so, the dealership had an obligation to give the pwner a choice...do the update and change the cluster or not do the update.
I can see where they could possibly exceptions to that rule...for example emissions related, or safety related. But in the OPs case, that seems unlikely.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:27 PM

Mein Auto: Audi
This is absolute horse****! I wouldn't even imagine something like this happening anywhere in the world!

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > G30 (2017 - Current)
Today's Posts Search