Water leak inside the hood, normal ? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 12-21-2019, 12:48 PM

Mein Auto: 735iA 2000
Water leak inside the hood, normal ?

Hi Guys

I've noticed after a hard rain, that water finds it's way inside the hood behind the passenger side e-box (please see attachment with the arrow).
I've tried pouring some water on the windshield, and water clearly finds it's way behind the rubber gasket at the top of the windshield cowl (does not run over the rubber edge), and leaks down behind the e-box as it collects on the cowl. Most of the water drains a long with the hood channel though, which is the correct way according to the info here at the forums.
This just doesn't look right to me, as the driver side is perfectly fine, and doesn't seem to have this.
I'm just afraid of getting water inside the cabin due to this, specifically passenger footwell, that's why I'm curious.

Is this normal, as I've checked the cowl and the rubber piece on top along with everything else, all looks good and clean ?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1297_23.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	264.0 KB
ID:	876237  

Last edited by Bimmerfan1987; 12-21-2019 at 01:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2019, 12:51 PM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
That plastic piece to the right of the arrow doesn't look right at all. E70 X5 occasionally suffer expensive damage in that area from water dripping on injector #5 and #6.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 12-21-2019, 01:05 PM

Mein Auto: 735iA 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
That plastic piece to the right of the arrow doesn't look right at all. E70 X5 occasionally suffer expensive damage in that area from water dripping on injector #5 and #6.
Thanks for the reply Doug.
That piece on the right side, is actually a part of the rubber seal attached to the windshield cowl. It seems to be a normal part of the seal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2019, 11:22 PM
Bobbyg740

Mein Auto: 2000 740i
Hi Doug, by zooming in on your photo, it looks to me that the seal attached to the lower windscreen cowl isnít in the best condition. If you look at the part near the end of your wiper blade, it looks to be worn and lifting away slightly which could be where the water is getting in. Itís an easy enough job to change the lower cowl, i hade to replace mine a few years ago because the seal was degraded (new cowl comes with seal attached) although you will need to remove one of your wipers.
Bobbyg.
2000 740i

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)
Today's Posts Search