CEL after dealer performed valve stem replacement - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 / F03 / F04 (2008 - 2015)

7 Series - F01 / F02 / F03 / F04 (2008 - 2015)
The 5th generation F01/F02/F03/F04 BMW 7 Series flagship forum. The redesigned 7 series leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code, offering an 8 speed automatic transmission and all turbocharged engine options.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-17-2020, 09:17 PM
qq404041481 qq404041481 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 4
Mein Auto:
CEL after dealer performed valve stem replacement

My F02 is burning quite bit of oil. Took it in for oil consumption and it failed. So dealer replaced the valve stems and bunch other thinks. After I got my car back, the CEL(check engine light) came on and rough idle. (I definitely did not have CEL before the fix) I went home and pulled up the code. Shows 101F01 Throttle valve opening angle - intake pipe absolute pressure and 118401 Fuel-air mixture too lean, large deviation.
I took back to dealer and they said the technician did the diagnose and says those were there before the work.. Well. I clearly did not have the engine light on. And they noticed my coolant pump was not good on the work order, but forgot to log there is something that can have the CEL on?
I know it can be a coincidence, but it just feel the timing is not right. Going to the dealer tomorrow. Can I talk to them about I didn't have CEL before and ask them to provide evidence that it was there before they did the work? Do they have a database keep track of the error code? (they cleaned the faults after repair). And they said they checked DME for the fault, is that same thing from OBD-II and the ISTA?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 01-18-2020, 12:47 PM
Ziggy328xi Ziggy328xi is offline
Ziggy.
Location: Boston MA
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 410
Mein Auto: 11 328xi N51
they should be able to check and see if it really was there before and ista is the dealer software for checking faults in the DME.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-18-2020, 07:05 PM
HerbP HerbP is online now
Super Moderator
Location: Georgia
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 7,358
Mein Auto: 05 645Ci, 14 750 M-Sport
It sounds like a vacuum leak somewhere on the engine. The dealer should have cleared all of the faults after their work was completed, just to make sure something like this had a problem. The dealer might have a printout on file, but they usually don't keep the ISTA diagnostics on hand. Go & have the faults cleared at one of the auto parts stores, & see if the faults come back?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 01-18-2020, 07:56 PM
qq404041481 qq404041481 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 4
Mein Auto:
Well. I went in today and asked another technician how they know the faults were there before the fix. They told me they have a database to track fault logs for like 2 years? I took the car back and cleared the faults. Will see what happens next...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-19-2020, 12:30 AM
qq404041481 qq404041481 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 4
Mein Auto:
Cleared the fault with ISTA. CEL went away. Let the car idle for a minute or two, CEL came on and read the code again.
Still the 101F1 throttle angle and intake pipe pressure. When the car was idling, the engine runs rough and then RPM went from 500 to 750 ish.
I don't know if dealer is telling the truth, do they lie at all? If I had this problem before the fix, why didn't I get CEL? It seems this fault triggers CEL pretty easily. And from ISTA, it says frequency 62 from 128506km to 129011km. That's 62 times for 300 miles.... That would definitely light my CEL if it was there before. I might be wrong but looking for more info and advise here.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-19-2020, 08:40 AM
HerbP HerbP is online now
Super Moderator
Location: Georgia
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 7,358
Mein Auto: 05 645Ci, 14 750 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by qq404041481 View Post
Cleared the fault with ISTA. CEL went away. Let the car idle for a minute or two, CEL came on and read the code again.
Still the 101F1 throttle angle and intake pipe pressure. When the car was idling, the engine runs rough and then RPM went from 500 to 750 ish.
I don't know if dealer is telling the truth, do they lie at all? If I had this problem before the fix, why didn't I get CEL? It seems this fault triggers CEL pretty easily. And from ISTA, it says frequency 62 from 128506km to 129011km. That's 62 times for 300 miles.... That would definitely light my CEL if it was there before. I might be wrong but looking for more info and advise here.
Inspect your intake pipe for air leaks, clean the MAF sensor, & check the MAP sensor also. Clean the MAF sensor with MAF cleaner only. You simply might have a MAP sensor plug connector loose.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-20-2020, 02:05 PM
qq404041481 qq404041481 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 4
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbP View Post
Inspect your intake pipe for air leaks, clean the MAF sensor, & check the MAP sensor also. Clean the MAF sensor with MAF cleaner only. You simply might have a MAP sensor plug connector loose.
I started the car in the morning (cold start). Reading the data from DME, shows Air mass flow (I guess that's the MAF): 11.53 kg/h on bank 1 and 11.59 on bank 2. It seems the values are pretty close.

Throttle valve 2.33 on 1 and 2.82 on 2.
Intake pipe vacuum after throttle 1 is 329.5hPa and 306.75hPa on bank 2.
So it seems like bank 2 has higher pressure, and that's causing the issue?

Looking into how to remove the pressure sensor...
But still, I don't know how I didn't have engine light on before if I had this issue...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-20-2020, 02:16 PM
BabyUnicornTaco BabyUnicornTaco is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Charleston, SC
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 2,379
Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i E70 Sport
If you have Facebook join this page and post. You will get your answer pretty quickly. Itís specific to your engine and not just your BMW model. https://m.facebook.com/groups/BMWAGA...der&view=group


Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
__________________
2008 X5 E70 4.8i M-Sport
2008 550i RPI Exhaust, RPI Ram Air
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-20-2020, 07:08 PM
HerbP HerbP is online now
Super Moderator
Location: Georgia
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 7,358
Mein Auto: 05 645Ci, 14 750 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by qq404041481 View Post
I started the car in the morning (cold start). Reading the data from DME, shows Air mass flow (I guess that's the MAF): 11.53 kg/h on bank 1 and 11.59 on bank 2. It seems the values are pretty close.

Throttle valve 2.33 on 1 and 2.82 on 2.
Intake pipe vacuum after throttle 1 is 329.5hPa and 306.75hPa on bank 2.
So it seems like bank 2 has higher pressure, and that's causing the issue?

Looking into how to remove the pressure sensor...
But still, I don't know how I didn't have engine light on before if I had this issue...
You might have triggered a soft code, that want trip the CEL light. The link below is for NewTis, which will cover everything on your car. The link should get you started, if not look thru the upper links.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...nsor-2/XVcHtKe
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 / F03 / F04 (2008 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.