03 745LI misfires, rough idle then dies - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion of BMW's 4th generation E65/E66 7 Series flagship. The E65 generated much controversy, due to its radical styling and iDrive user difficulties. Nonetheless, the E65 broke records to become the best-selling 7-series iteration ever, especially after its 2005 facelift.

Old 01-20-2020, 04:12 AM

Mein Auto:
03 745LI misfires, rough idle then dies

I have a 03 745Li with 138,000 miles. When I first got it in August of 2018 it had a unnoticeable misfire that would stop at highway speeds. In the morning it would do its rough idle and shaking then it would warm up and be fine.

I end up changing all the spark plugs and ignition coils with Bosch parts and the problem became worse. It started misfiring really badly and backfiring. The car would shake then idle would slow down until it wouldn't turn over anymore and just dies.

I checked the forums and it seems like a lot of people have this issue except they can still drive their car. I replaced the battery yesterday and registered with INPA since the old battery wasnt the correct type and it would constantly have low voltage hoping that would fix some issues. The new battery turns the car over excellent but it still dies.

The codes that I'm getting currently are for all camshaft position sensors and misfire with fuel cut off on cylinders 8,3,7,6 and 4. I've removed the Vanos solenoids, cleaned them and reinstalled, no change. I also replaced cylinder 6 with the old ignition coil and spark plug since it didnt misfire before but after clearing codes and starting the engine again the codes came back the same including cylinder 6.

I cleared the codes many times thinking its ECU related but the codes still come back the same. I ordered all 4 camshaft position sensors hoping it'll fix the problem. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. I got the car for free and would really like to get it running and driving.

(Video of starting the car)

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Today's Posts Search