Gurus Please Help - #10 Fuse keeps blowing ): - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:40 PM

Mein Auto:
Gurus Please Help - #10 Fuse keeps blowing ):

Some time ago I blew fuze #10, replaced it, and it blew again. And a couple more times after that. The interesting thing about this event is that the fuse takes a while to blow, some 5-10 or more minutes, and there does not seem to be any particular event that triggers it such as turning an accessory making this a deep mystery to me.

This fuse controls a plethora of neat things that make life good while driving the car, take a look at this page in particular. Most importantly, this fuse controls the flow of electricity to the heat and insturment cluster, which are particularly usefull in the cold Illinois weather. In short, I can't drive very far without the heater, and I am having a whole lot of trouble with troubleshooting this issue. I am a competant technician and can get knee deep into the wires, but I just have no idea where to start, I hope someone else has encountered this before.
Please help!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2008, 03:48 PM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Heat and resistance is what kills fuses. Something is overloading, probably heater fan, though is doesnt appear related to fuse 10 in the diagrams.

Do you have an aftermarket stereo?
Old 01-02-2008, 03:56 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanc3r View Post
Heat and resistance is what kills fuses. Something is overloading, probably heater fan, though is doesn't appear related to fuse 10 in the diagrams.

Do you have an aftermarket stereo?
I do have an aftermarket stereo, which is usually powered off. Given: it could have influence over the situation. Thus I will take it out for the time being to prove it one way or another if it is responsible.
This may also apply to the heater fan, which I will also pull just to be sure. If the fuse blows with these two items I will know it is neither of those items.

However (caveat), I seriously doubt either are culprits, but cannot prove it without trying.

Please keep the ideas coming, I am running to the parts store for more fuses. My junk yard bin of fuses is remarkably shy of 7.5amp fuses since I've started this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2008, 03:58 PM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by origin View Post
I do have an aftermarket stereo, which is usually powered off. Given: it could have influence over the situation. Thus I will take it out for the time being to prove it one way or another if it is responsible.
This may also apply to the heater fan, which I will also pull just to be sure. If the fuse blows with these two items I will know it is neither of those items.

However (caveat), I seriously doubt either are culprits, but cannot prove it without trying.

Please keep the ideas coming, I am running to the parts store for more fuses. My junk yard bin of fuses is remarkably shy of 7.5amp fuses since I've started this.
If you pull the stereo you should see the bulk of your wiring. The heater switches and fan switch are common crappers.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:54 PM

Mein Auto:
Same Problem...

I have had the Same problem with My 89 - 325i for about 6 months. Being on the west coast, the weather isnt as much an issue, but the Tach and other things are out as well (as you know)... I have yet to pull the dash, but a friend thinks that there may be corrosion causing a short???? I also have an aftermarket stereo?>?.? I havent investigated, and am a medium tech at best. I will begin to research as well and hope to get you some ideas... please keep the updates coming on your progress.... BTW - I joined this forum yesterday, and it rocks!
Old 01-03-2008, 03:07 PM

Mein Auto:
possible?

found this while surfing around.... I'm going to look into it tonight on mine... thought you would be interested...

Fuse #10 also powers the reverse lights which are activated whenever you select reverse gear. There is an electrical switch near the top on the side of the transmission. The wires from this lead up through the gearshift lever opening and are known to chafe against a sharp edge there.

Pop up the base of the shift lever boot and you will see the two wires leading down through another rubber boot. The problem is almost certainly right under there. I had the same issue just last month.

One word of caution, if you are tugging on these wires to try to get a little more slack to make repairs, it is possible to yank the electrical connector off of the reverse switch. It's a real bear trying to get your hand up in there from underneath the car to plug it back in.

If you are not quite ready to repair the chafed wires, you can simply unplug them at a connector right there under the shift lever boot. This way it will stop blowing fuses until you can make the repair. But in the meantime you won't have any reverse lights.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:22 PM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad_la View Post
found this while surfing around.... I'm going to look into it tonight on mine... thought you would be interested...

Fuse #10 also powers the reverse lights which are activated whenever you select reverse gear. There is an electrical switch near the top on the side of the transmission. The wires from this lead up through the gearshift lever opening and are known to chafe against a sharp edge there.

Pop up the base of the shift lever boot and you will see the two wires leading down through another rubber boot. The problem is almost certainly right under there. I had the same issue just last month.

One word of caution, if you are tugging on these wires to try to get a little more slack to make repairs, it is possible to yank the electrical connector off of the reverse switch. It's a real bear trying to get your hand up in there from underneath the car to plug it back in.

If you are not quite ready to repair the chafed wires, you can simply unplug them at a connector right there under the shift lever boot. This way it will stop blowing fuses until you can make the repair. But in the meantime you won't have any reverse lights.
Thats a good one. The center console rests on the reverse light wires. Mine were chafed pretty bad when I dug in.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:16 PM

Mein Auto:
Mine had fallen down onto the Guibo and were worn through. It's worth looking at.
Old 01-15-2020, 01:28 PM
BimmerJunky

Mein Auto: 85 325e, 89 735i
Seems I'm having the exact same issue with my 85 325e.

I had the manual trans out for new seals. The issues started within about 100 miles following the surgery.

First was to check K5 & K7 relays. Both metered out as good. I know that they can still be bad enough to blow a fuse, but I had to start someplace.

I did a little reading before I got the car in the air. Completely removed the reverse light wiring between the switch and the connector and removed the NEW Reverse Light Switch. No shorts in the wiring, and the switch was fine there.

Jumped the wiring in the other side of the harness. I got 12 volts, but sometimes the lights came on with the ignition key in the on position...sometimes not, though it had power. I have changed the fuse (until I ran out) this doesn't seem to help. I have also switched relays to see if that made a difference. Blew the last fuse.

I did pull slightly while disconnecting the harness, but it still shows hot. Where do these wires connect on the other end?

Scratching of head intensifies.

Please send help. My wife has learned too many for my "SECRET" words.

Last edited by gretchen85; 01-15-2020 at 02:00 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)
Today's Posts Search