BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
106K views 100 replies 43 participants last post by  shawnsheridan 
#1 · (Edited)
BMW bluetooth streaming clarified

For model year 2015 BMW has stripped Enhanced USB & Bluetooth plus Smartphone Integration (6NS) from the Technology Package (ZTP) and Navigation Option (609) making it a stand alone $500 purchase. The price of the Technology Package and Navigation Option remain the same, effectively increasing the price. BMW did make Bluetooth Streaming and the USB Audio connection (6NH) standard on all 3 and 4 series modes for MY 2015 so the need for Enhanced USB and Bluetooth (6NS) is diminished.

Having Bluetooth BMW connection problems? You're not alone

Functionality differences between BMW 6NH and 6NS

BMW 6NH vs 6NS

There is some speculation that down the line the Enhanced USB and Bluetooh will include support for Apple's CarPlay but that is just rumors for now.

To summarize, without 6NS, you won't get:
  • Library Browsing - Playlist, Artist, Genre via Bluetooth (still works via USB)
  • Ability to connect 2 bluetooth phones simultaneously
  • Additional Microphone - For improved communications
  • iSpeech - Voice control for contacts and music
  • Mobile Office - Text Messages, Email, Calendar, Tasks, Contact photos, Voice memos.
  • Base plate in center console - for snap-in Adapter integration
  • Connection to external antenna ***8211; For improved reception

* Thanks to bd33 for compiling these changes.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
iSpeech (Voice Control with Text-to-Speech) is included with Navigation without 6NS (609 w/o 6NS) -it says so in that table above.

I really do not have any idea of why this iSpeech is even listed in there. Perhaps a trick to get people confused to pay for something that it is already there?

#7 ·
iSpeech (Voice Control with Text-to-Speech) is included with Navigation without 6NS (609 w/o 6NS) -it says so in that table above.

I really do not have any idea of why this iSpeech is even listed in there. Perhaps a trick to get people confused to pay for something that it is already there?
Got to love the Ultimate Marketing Machine....

#14 ·
I have seen people talking about coding. Is this a code you type in that unlocks a feature or is it some line of code you have to burn to a cd or something? I saw on the forum a section for coding but I didn't see anyone talking in English, lol, I could understand what it is you have to do. Lots of code talk that was way over my head. Do people have all this stuff sorted and share a finished product or is everyone on their own?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#15 ·
I have seen people talking about coding. Is this a code you type in that unlocks a feature or is it some line of code you have to burn to a cd or something? I saw on the forum a section for coding but I didn't see anyone talking in English, lol, I could understand what it is you have to do. Lots of code talk that was way over my head. Do people have all this stuff sorted and share a finished product or is everyone on their own?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
There is a pirated OEM software and a custom cable used to code features already available in the car. That is the basic 101 of coding. You should ask all your questions in the coding forum if you want to really understand everything in between...

#29 ·
I recently purchased a 2015 X3. When I was ordering the car, my salesperson recommended against ordering the enhanced bluetooth for $500 (6NS). I totally regret that I listened to him.

I have limited control of my Iphone 5S when it is paired via bluetooth AND when I connect to the USB port. Most importantly, I cannot receive any text messages to the BMW screen. In addition, when the phone is paired to bluetooth, I cannot hear the notification that I received a text message. I keep on missing important texts while I'm driving.

I wanted to know if anyone out there knows if it is possible to code the 6NS into the car such that I would have the ability to read my texts through the Idrive system. I have noticed in this thread that people claim that it is possible to do. I have the E-Sys program but it is way too complicated. I tried to code it in and I caused a drivetrain malfunction. Luckily the dealer fixed it.

Does anyone out there have an iphone 5S with IOS 8.1.2 and a 2015 X3 where you can read your texts on the BMW screen? If you are able, do you have the enhanced bluetooth?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

#30 ·
Matterhorn - I have Smartphone Integration (6NS) in my 2014 F31 ... it was included with Nav ... i.e. no extra $500 like in the 2015's

Ive used it to read texts maybe 2-3 times ... why ? Because the novelty of the Text feature wears off quite quickly after you have to fumble through iDrive menus to see the actual message / text in Office. From what I've experienced it doesn't 'show' the actual text message "Hey Dude you rock" etc on the iDrive screen - rather all you see is a little enevelop icon telling you a text came in. Eh.

So my 2 cents is: you're not missing much ... also probably the whole 'I keep on missing important texts while I'm driving." ... ain't really that important right ? Right.

#32 ·
Matterhorn - I have Smartphone Integration (6NS) in my 2014 F31 ... it was included with Nav ... i.e. no extra $500 like in the 2015's

Ive used it to read texts maybe 2-3 times ... why ? Because the novelty of the Text feature wears off quite quickly after you have to fumble through iDrive menus to see the actual message / text in Office. From what I've experienced it doesn't 'show' the actual text message "Hey Dude you rock" etc on the iDrive screen - rather all you see is a little enevelop icon telling you a text came in. Eh.

So my 2 cents is: you're not missing much ... also probably the whole 'I keep on missing important texts while I'm driving." ... ain't really that important right ? Right.
I disagree. I use this feature to read my texts on the iDrive screen and I find it very useful. I have one of the shortcut buttons programmed to show the message list.

I didn't order the 6NS for my new lease because I'll just get it coded.

#38 ·
From the original post I understand that 6NH comes standard and allows the Siri long-press activation on a Bluetooth connected iPhone. It implies that no other option or package is necessary to have this functionality.

Some others have told me I must have navigation in order to get the Siri function. Is this true?

#42 ·
Who to code?

Can someone recommend someone to code remotely or in NY? I don't want to try and possibly mess things up myself.

The only one I found is from out of the country, which would be ok if the only option. Did anyone have problems with the dealership or lease after coding?

#46 · (Edited)
guys, I just coded 6NS on my 2015 F30 HU_NBT and it went well (I had 6NH). One thing however is that I cannot pair at the same time my Samsung Galaxy S4 and my wife's iPhone5.
On the bluetooth menu I see both phones, but when I connect 1, the other one gets disconnected. Also, on both of them I see the icon of a phone with a number 1 on top. Shall I not see number1 on one phone and number 2 on the other one? Can someone explain me how to pair 2 phones simultaneously please?

Thanks!!

#50 ·
So, I didn't get 6NS in my 2016 4 series b/c I didn't need to connect 2 phones, but now I can't control my USB iPod with the car's media buttons (says "Not Supported" for auxiliary input). Did I hose myself by being cheap?

#59 ·
Yep. Tech, Premium, Cold Weather, Drivers Assist, M Sport packages and added HK, Adaptive M Suspension, Side & Top View Cameras, and Parking Assist as options.

I went with toys over engine this time. You went with everything and I applaud you, sir!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.