Degreasing Tips for Underbody - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 07-01-2020, 10:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 z3 2.3 roadster
Degreasing Tips for Underbody

After replacing the oil filter housing gasket, VANOS oil line, power steering reservoir and PS hoses, I THINK (more like hope) that I've addressed all the leaks on my 2.3 roadster.

With those out of the way, I have some MAJOR degreasing to do underneath - oil pan is covered in oil, steering rack covered in what I believe is PS fluid, bottom of engine covered in grime and front sway bar caked in oil/dirt/grime (due to missing radiator splash shield).

My initial plan is to get the car as high up on jackstands on my driveway and just spray some degreaser, let it soak, maybe agitate with a brush, and then hose off. Couldn't find any local carwashes that clean/spray underbodies (no need in SoCal) so wondering if there are any other solutions before I get this messy job started?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2020, 10:44 PM

I have seen some youtube videos of folks using a power washer attachment that rolls under your vehicle and has 4-6 separate spray nozzles pointed up so they effectively pressure wash the underside of your vehicle. I don't think I have the right pressure washer for this attachment (cheap harbor freight power washer) and don't feel like spending money on something I'll probably never use again.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:18 AM
BMW CCA 1405

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3 1.9 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by eertkao View Post
... a power washer attachment that rolls under your vehicle and has 4-6 separate spray nozzles pointed up so they effectively pressure wash the underside of your vehicle...
I made this hose attachment that you move around under the car for bottom rinsing.
https://oi49.photobucket.com/albums/...yU-CWasher.jpg
PVC piping with a snap on hose fitting and a spray head (Spot Sprinkler Gilmour # 876R).
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gilmour-8...BoCaEEQAvD_BwE
Maybe it could be boosted with a power washer.

Last edited by vintage42; 07-02-2020 at 09:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2020, 09:37 AM
BMW CCA 1405

Quote:
... My initial plan is to get the car as high up on jackstands on my driveway and just spray some degreaser, let it soak, maybe agitate with a brush, and then hose off...
That is what it takes. I think high pressure power washing of the engine and under carriage is difficult and dangerous to some components. And cannot reach where fingers can.

My car had no oily residues, but I did clean the bottom of the body, suspension, engine and drive train, using jack stands, buckets of hot soapy water and fluffy wash cloths. Transfer the dirt into the bucket and change the water a few times.
https://s49.photobucket.com/user/vin...Jacking?sort=4

Last edited by vintage42; 07-02-2020 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Photobucket link unreliable, may only work in slideshow mode
Old 07-02-2020, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage42 View Post
I made this hose attachment that you move around under the car for bottom rinsing.
https://oi49.photobucket.com/albums/...yU-CWasher.jpg
PVC piping with a snap on hose fitting and a spray head (Spot Sprinkler Gilmour # 876R).
Maybe it could be boosted with a power washer.
Thanks for sharing! I think I may give that rectangle sprinkler a try.

Can't seem to see any of those pictures from your last link though
Old 07-03-2020, 03:36 AM
BMW CCA 1405

Quote:
... Can't seem to see any of those pictures from your last link though
It is a link to the Walmart page for the sprinkler.
Old 07-03-2020, 08:27 PM

Sorry I meant your photobucket link: https://s49.photobucket.com/user/vin...Jacking?sort=4
Old 07-04-2020, 03:52 AM
BMWCCA 12660

Mein Auto: Z3 3.0, Macan S, C300 Cab
Quote:
That is what it takes. I think high pressure power washing of the engine and under carriage is difficult and dangerous to some components. And cannot reach where fingers can.
WOW you must have the CLEANEST Z anywhere...(Even underneath)
Old 07-04-2020, 04:17 AM
BMW CCA 1405

Quote:
... jack stands, buckets of hot soapy water and fluffy wash cloths. Transfer the dirt into the bucket and change the water a few times.
https://s49.photobucket.com/user/vin...Jacking?sort=4
Quote:
... Can't seem to see any of those pictures from your last link though
Testing the link in the quote. It works for me.

Last edited by vintage42; 07-04-2020 at 04:18 AM.
Old 07-04-2020, 04:20 AM
BMWCCA 12660

Hey VINTAGE, you probably don't have a HONEY DO list
Old 07-04-2020, 04:44 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
I have no access to water liquid for six months of the year at home. While traveling I use no-touch automatic car washes and do my best to time-out the underbody rinse, being concerned with salts rather than oily mud (still immaculate virgin intacta engine).
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 07-04-2020, 07:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 650i
I use superclean in a garden variety pump sprayer and mix it about 3:1 with boiling water. I have an electric tea kettle and I just immediately refill and by the time my sprayer is empty it's already boiling for another batch if needed. I also run my hose to the sink in my garage where I have hot water. Heat is your best friend when cleaning oily sludge from your car's sensitive areas, NOT pressure.
Old 07-04-2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill85208 View Post
I use superclean in a garden variety pump sprayer and mix it about 3:1 with boiling water. I have an electric tea kettle and I just immediately refill and by the time my sprayer is empty it's already boiling for another batch if needed. I also run my hose to the sink in my garage where I have hot water. Heat is your best friend when cleaning oily sludge from your car's sensitive areas, NOT pressure.
Good tip, thanks Bill!
Old 07-11-2020, 02:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW Z3 3.0
My low mileage soon to be twenty years old was up on jack stands for a considerable time recently. Cleaning started with removal of front fender liners & proceeded from there to the rocker boxes & the outer areas of the underside. The rear fender liners need attention too but they will have to await for another day. I have what is likely a mixing tub for concrete which is about 8 inches high by perhaps 36 x 48 inches. Works great for catching all of the crap during the washing. Simple Green 50/50 with H2O in a spray bottle does a great job of removing dirt & grease with a small nylon scrub brush & a rag. Keep a toothbrush at hand for crevices. I utilise a standard one quart spray bottle with only water to flush off the cleaner & loosened crud. If I find something which is reluctant, I use the 3M Adhesive Remover which does not damage the paint. There is not a lot of paint on the underside but I did not experience any problems with paint deteriorating during my cleaning. Not a bad way imo to spend a length of time in lock down!
Old 07-11-2020, 03:36 PM
BMWCCA 12660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pima Roadster View Post
My low mileage soon to be twenty years old was up on jack stands for a considerable time recently. Cleaning started with removal of front fender liners & proceeded from there to the rocker boxes & the outer areas of the underside. The rear fender liners need attention too but they will have to await for another day. I have what is likely a mixing tub for concrete which is about 8 inches high by perhaps 36 x 48 inches. Works great for catching all of the crap during the washing. Simple Green 50/50 with H2O in a spray bottle does a great job of removing dirt & grease with a small nylon scrub brush & a rag. Keep a toothbrush at hand for crevices. I utilise a standard one quart spray bottle with only water to flush off the cleaner & loosened crud. If I find something which is reluctant, I use the 3M Adhesive Remover which does not damage the paint. There is not a lot of paint on the underside but I did not experience any problems with paint deteriorating during my cleaning. Not a bad way imo to spend a length of time in lock down!
And I thought I was bit OBSESSIVE....
Old 07-12-2020, 08:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW Z3 3.0
Retirement & boredom make for a perhaps dangerous combination. All three of our vehicles are compleatly rust-free, the youngest is ten years old & the oldest is twenty-three years young. Having moved from the Midwest to this sunny clime, I understand the challenges of keep the tin worm at a distance which is almost impossible. With little rain, unfortunately drier than usual so far this year, & a flexible schedule, the fleet rarely sees rain & never snow. The three car garage keeps the sunshine effect away. Life is good!
Old 07-12-2020, 09:07 AM
BMWCCA 12660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pima Roadster View Post
Retirement & boredom make for a perhaps dangerous combination. All three of our vehicles are compleatly rust-free, the youngest is ten years old & the oldest is twenty-three years young. Having moved from the Midwest to this sunny clime, I understand the challenges of keep the tin worm at a distance which is almost impossible. With little rain, unfortunately drier than usual so far this year, & a flexible schedule, the fleet rarely sees rain & never snow. The three car garage keeps the sunshine effect away. Life is good!
Yeah, RETIREMENT is a b***h..THIS is my 30th year of NOTHING TO DO..

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
Today's Posts Search