BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

BMW Ultimate Care +

15K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  namelessman 
#1 ·
I'm on the fence about purchasing BMW Ultimate Care + on my car MY2020 530xe I purchased in October. The dealer let me know that I can purchase the plan at anytime until my 3y/36K mile plan expires. I'm coming in on my first service so I'm giving this some solid thought. I plan on holding the car for the long term so the 7y/125K mile plan would be what I'd probably get. If anyone has a recommendation on dealers to reach out to let me know.

My core question is to try to get a solid understanding of what's covered by the plan so I can accurately determine its value (or lack thereof). I tend to get my cars serviced at the dealer for the length of time I own them. But my last car was a Mercedes.

Does this plan cover everything listed in the service manual for my car? Or does it only cover some stuff? Would I be paying out of pocket for anything during service or will it be all be covered if listed by CBS or the manual?

I don't lease so my car will be owned for a minimum of 5 years, but likely 7-10 years.

#3 ·
I have read there pretty extensively. Though I am not a fan of how poorly the site is laid out.

But if I understand the site and the service manual correctly Ultimate Care + should cover all of the maintenance in the manual up to 7y/125K miles (assuming I pay for the +4 upgrade). In addition to scheduled it should add Wipers & Brakes to the mix.

So I think it is safe to say I shouldn't have to pay for anything else with that upgrade.

#4 ·
It's important to be clear that scheduled maintenance, even including some "wear" items like brake pads, differs from out-of-warranty repairs required due to parts or systems failing.

Oil/fluid renewals and scheduled service items on these cars can be handled by competent independent shops as well as BMW dealers, and, in my experience, even dealer service writers have some ability to negotiate price.

The expense most are concerned with -- costly electronic system failures, suspension issues, internal engine problems, transmission failure, warped rotors, to name a few -- are NOT part of the extended, pre-paid maintenance plans. If you understand that, and pre-paying represents value to you, then there you are.

FWIW, if one has an out-of-warranty Bimmer that won't start and, when they tow it into the dealer and it's a $2,500 part, plus labor, there is, perhaps, a little comfort in telling the service writer, "Hey, while your at it, change the oil. I've got Ultimate Care+."

Pays your money/takes your chances. YMMV.

#5 · (Edited)
Maintenance plans are (virtually ALWAYS) a waste of money.

Do you not know how to get a BMW serviced at a place that doesn't have "BMW" on the roof? If you can figure that out, you will save big.

One of the hidden values to these service plans- value TO BMW- is that they 'trap' owners into the BMW ecosystem. People never learn how to get a car serviced elsewhere ...so when the CEL comes on at 60k miles, off they go to get raped.

Pencil it out. List each oil change, filter change, etc etc over the next X years and Y miles. (Oh, dont use the numbers the helpful BMW dealer prepared on their spreadsheet that is intended to scare you). You will almost surely be ahead if you buy your own service.

Also recognize if someone totals your car, that $6500 in service (or whatever they want for a 7/125 plan) is probably gone.

#6 ·
Maintenance plans are (virtually ALWAYS) a waste of money.

Do you not know how to get a BMW saerviced at a place that doesn't have "BMW" on the roof? If you can figure that out, you will save big.

One of the hidden values to these service plans- value TO BMW- is that they 'trap' owners into the BMW ecosystem. People never learn how to get a car serviced elsewhere ...so when the CEL comes on at 60k miles, off they go to get raped.

Pencil it out. List each oil change, filter change, etc etc over the next X years and Y miles. (Oh, dont use the numbers the helpful BMW dealer prepared on their spreadsheet that is intended to scare you). You will almost surely be ahead if you buy your own service.

Also recognize if someone totals your car, that $6500 in service (or whatever they want for a 7/125 plan) is probably gone.
This is wisdom. I strongly concur.

#8 ·
While I generally agree that extended warranty/service contracts are not favorable to the customer, I ended up getting one on my 2015 X5 35d. While still on warranty, I had a mysterious transmission issue that took three tries over 6 weeks to resolve--and no small amount of fighting with the dealer. Ultimately, one of the dealer's long-tenured, don't GAF mechanics went to bat and got it resolved. Ended up being a transfer case issue.

I shudder to think what that would have cost off-warranty or if a non-dealer service shop was tasked with diagnosing it. As I bought the car after my lease ended, the previous experience led me to wanting the peace of mind when something breaks. And it is also nice to still not think twice about following every recommended CBS notification. Get a loaner car and never open my wallet. I also have some sense that I won't be sold maintenance and parts repairs that aren't needed since doing so is on BMW's (or whoever bought the risk) dime.

#17 ·
I am well aware of the difference. When one considers a break job on my X5 with Msport brakes is over $1000 and the regular oil services can be several hundred, it's not a bad gamble if you intend to keep the car for a while. Of course, when it was on lease, none of this mattered.

If you are DIY, then that's a whole other ballgame. But for those that are not and don't have extended maintenance, how diligent are you about following the CBS guidance?

#18 ·
Brake.

Apparently you cannot figure out how not to get screwed.

Seems like a good deal for you then. MSport and all...

#20 ·
Another situation where the BMWCCA discount comes in handy. I don't understand why anyone who owns a BMW out of warranty wouldn't join for the parts discount alone.

#23 ·
I refuse to join a club that would have me as a member.....

#22 ·
I did some napkin math and looking at BMW Value Service even after dealership negotiation it seems BMW Ultimate Care + would be a net loss for me. Especially considering the PHEV should have extended brake life due to its extensive use of regenerative braking. The big "win" for Ultimate Care + seems to come from frequent brake jobs otherwise it is hard to hit the number.

I was able to negotiate a dealer down to $4400 for 7Y/125K mile coverage from the $5200 MSRP. Here is my napkin math that made me see it as not worth it still.

I made an assumption that I'll be able to use BMW Value Service since that covers up to MY2016 cars from what I can see. It looks like it kicks in roughly in line with the end of the BMW free period that expires in 3Y.

First 3y/36k: $0
Year 4: Oil $90, Microfilter $125, Wipers: $65
Year 5: Oil $90, Brake Fluid $? , Wipers: $65
Year 6: Oil $90, Microfilter $125, Wipers $65, Spark Plugs $216
Year 7: Oil $90, Brake Fluid $?, Wipers $65

Total Estimated @ Dealer: ~$1,086 w/o brake fluid or brake service.

So I'd still have $3314 left over to cover brakes & brake fluid over that timespan.

Seems very clear that Ultimate Care + isn't worth the money. Even if you go high mileage and put is up to 125K miles within 7Y you'll increase your servicing needs to equal 12Y, but only end up just a bit over $2K not including brake jobs. So you'd need to be both high mileage and extremely hard on brakes for a PHEV to make this work out (potentially only via tracking the car?)

Thanks for all the advice in the thread.

#24 ·
Especially considering the PHEV should have extended brake life due to its extensive use of regenerative braking. The big "win" for Ultimate Care + seems to come from frequent brake jobs otherwise it is hard to hit the number.
….

First 3y/36k: $0
Year 4: Oil $90, Microfilter $125, Wipers: $65
Year 5: Oil $90, Brake Fluid $? , Wipers: $65
Year 6: Oil $90, Microfilter $125, Wipers $65, Spark Plugs $216
Year 7: Oil $90, Brake Fluid $?, Wipers $65
One of the greatest value of your PHEV car is the 15 years/150000 miles PHEV warranty, which should come performance warranty such that CEL is covered(do confirm with warranty manual).

So beware of comments like ".... so when the CEL comes on at 60k miles, off they go to get raped", as not going to dealer for CEL can cost PHEV owners $$$$$.

Yes BMW value service is great, my F30 N26 with PZEV has been solely dealer oil change, for $95 with tax on 2.0L, at times it dropped to $50 with coupon, what is not to like? :)

And wiper, cabin filter, air filter are usually simple DIY with discounted BMW-logo parts available online, so those costs can be minimized.

And in my experience with 2 bimmers, maintenance plan/ESC would have been 100% waste of money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.