What happened to our friend "ard" - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 12-01-2019, 07:45 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpoitras View Post
Man, I'd hate to have such thin skin that a quip or two from a member of some internet forum would hurt my feelings, lol.

If you go back and read ard's posts you'll see that he would only be short with members who joined just to ask some ridiculous question, like "my car is broke, how can fix?!?!one?!", and never to be heard from again regardless of the approach he took. You should also note that his "tough love" style of replying to those types of questions was better for the community as a whole because it, at the very least, set expectations that a member looking for help needs to at least make an effort to help themselves first instead of expecting a one liner quick fix.

And i find it funny that the members here that are ragging on him are not the names I see in hundreds, and possibly thousands, of threads helping newcomers as well as old timers, but who I do always see is ard himself.

He gets paid a dime for every post he makes. He made millions out of this forum and retired.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2019, 07:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35i M-sport
Quote:
Man, I'd hate to have such thin skin that a quip or two from a member of some internet forum would hurt my feelings, lol.

If you go back and read ard's posts you'll see that he would only be short with members who joined just to ask some ridiculous question, like "my car is broke, how can fix?!?!one?!", and never to be heard from again regardless of the approach he took. You should also note that his "tough love" style of replying to those types of questions was better for the community as a whole because it, at the very least, set expectations that a member looking for help needs to at least make an effort to help themselves first instead of expecting a one liner quick fix.

And i find it funny that the members here that are ragging on him are not the names I see in hundreds, and possibly thousands, of threads helping newcomers as well as old timers, but who I do always see is ard himself.
There's a right way and wrong way to go about things I guess. I'm not saying his "expertise" wasn't a plus but the way he went about it was all wrong. There are plenty of other people on this forum who provide helpful advice in a less arrogant way. He obviously lived for being a troll on an internet forum where people come for advice. I'm sure there are tons of other members who would offer great advice on a more regular basis but they don't have the time to hide behind a keyboard for self-gratification.
Old 12-01-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary214 View Post
He gets paid a dime for every post he makes. He made millions out of this forum and retired.

Old 12-01-2019, 12:42 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
I am here
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredoinSF View Post
...Oh yeah, I'm still here. Recent Sonoma Co fires and other activities have meant less free time of late, but I'm still here.
Not sure when I started, but unfortunately I'm not going to be here (or in the diesel subforum) much longer. I sold my 335d - guy who bought it got an SES the next week - due to age and hassle factor. Too bad, liked the car.

Good luck with all your endeavors and cars. Check for me in the F39 forum in the future.
Old 12-01-2019, 12:43 PM

Mein Auto: X5 e70 4.8
Apparently there’s lovers and haters.
Challenge to the haters; please share a thread where his perceived arrogance is NOT preceded by a stupid question, shouting, gross lack of homework, blatant lack of info, dissatisfaction with offered responses, horrendous spelling, or anything else that qualifies as ‘he had it coming’.

Imho he’s merely holding up a mirror to most of his ‘victims.’

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2019, 01:47 PM
Fool on the Hill

Mein Auto: x5 xDrive 35d 2013
I hear he is taking time off to write his book, project title is

I'm OK, you are not OK
Old 12-01-2019, 01:59 PM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliwatt Rob View Post
I hear he is taking time off to write his book, project title is I'm OK, you are not OK
Yep, Transactional Analysis of the ego states of the posters above, all complaining of being child like to ARD's adult that drifts parent like occasionally; understandably.

Back in the Sixties most college students were exposed to some TA of one sort or another. I actually studied under Snell Putney, author of Normal Neurosis / The Adjusted American at (then) SJSC. I sailed his 40' trimaran Troika out of Santa Cruz many times.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 12-01-2019 at 02:05 PM.
Old 12-01-2019, 03:04 PM

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

On another note, what oil should I use in my N55 engine? All joking aside, I hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday season.
Old 12-01-2019, 03:29 PM
Nuclear engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramedic1079 View Post
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. ...
All are entitled to be wrong. Tolerance of wrongness is the slippery slope which nadir we can see.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 12-01-2019, 03:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
Quote:
Originally Posted by paramedic1079 View Post
Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

On another note, what oil should I use in my N55 engine? All joking aside, I hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday season.
This.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aunt jemima syrup (15W-40) bmw ll-01.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	874053  
Old 12-01-2019, 03:35 PM
Fool on the Hill

Mein Auto: x5 xDrive 35d 2013
I have no problem with anyone telling me that they think I am wrong. What I object to is being told that I am an idiot over a matter of disagreement.
Old 12-01-2019, 05:34 PM
Drink the koolaid or else

Mein Auto: 2017 Volvo XC60 T5
Quote:
The forum will be without a bully. Most newbies come here with hope. They are not self styled experts on BMW. Neither are they wrench monkeys with garages where they can overhaul a BMW engine and spout technical jargon.

If you do not have patience to answer the newbies, DO NOT answer. No one is forced to answer.

"ard" collected a million posts with his bull shiite posts.

His apologists need to get a reality check

Or you do.
2015 X1 sDrive XLine - "Hamilton Maxwell"
2009 MINI Cooper Clubman - "Oxley"
2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
2007 X3.0si PlatBronze/Beige
2006 X3 3.0i, Flamenco Red/Beige
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
1971 2002, Sahara, Saddle
Old 12-01-2019, 05:36 PM
Drink the koolaid or else

Mein Auto: 2017 Volvo XC60 T5
Quote:
Originally Posted by deroy View Post
apparently there’s lovers and haters.
Challenge to the haters; please share a thread where his perceived arrogance is not preceded by a stupid question, shouting, gross lack of homework, blatant lack of info, dissatisfaction with offered responses, horrendous spelling, or anything else that qualifies as ‘he had it coming’.

Imho he’s merely holding up a mirror to most of his ‘victims.’

verzonden vanaf mijn iphone met tapatalk

+1
2015 X1 sDrive XLine - "Hamilton Maxwell"
2009 MINI Cooper Clubman - "Oxley"
2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
2007 X3.0si PlatBronze/Beige
2006 X3 3.0i, Flamenco Red/Beige
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
1971 2002, Sahara, Saddle
Old 12-02-2019, 04:11 AM
Nuclear engineer

For our younger correspondents here a review of Transactional Analysis might be in order, and [b]I'm OK – You're OK by Thomas Anthony Harris (Harper & Row 1967) was not the worst of the genre.

In a word, TA analyzed social congress in terms of language that might be used by Child / Parent / Adult. I believe that "idiot" would fall into child-speak, and that a mechanic's advice is parent-speak, and that an adult points to new knowledge as a teacher.

Old 12-02-2019, 06:05 AM

Mein Auto: X5 e70 4.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
For our younger correspondents here a review of Transactional Analysis might be in order, and [b]I'm OK – You're OK by Thomas Anthony Harris (Harper & Row 1967) was not the worst of the genre.

In a word, TA analyzed social congress in terms of language that might be used by Child / Parent / Adult. I believe that "idiot" would fall into child-speak, and that a mechanic's advice is parent-speak, and that an adult points to new knowledge as a teacher.
So I conclude; "pop the hood for once" (mechanic's advise) and "find any of the 200 threads on this" (point to new knowledge) is both parent and adult speak. Pretty grown up approach then ;-)
Old 12-02-2019, 06:44 AM

Mein Auto: 328i xDrive 6MT
Quote:
The forum will be without a bully. Most newbies come here with hope. They are not self styled experts on BMW. Neither are they wrench monkeys with garages where they can overhaul a BMW engine and spout technical jargon.

If you do not have patience to answer the newbies, DO NOT answer. No one is forced to answer.

"ard" collected a million posts with his bull shiite posts.

His apologists need to get a reality check

Except you landed here in an attempt to have your wishful thinking confirmed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-02-2019, 07:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
Except you landed here in an attempt to have your wishful thinking confirmed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I confirmed that there are @holes in every forum. Even BMW forums
Old 12-02-2019, 08:15 AM
Nuclear engineer

All the forums in which I participate have Iggy Lists - individual ignored |user name lists. Use it if you are not able to exercise discretion.

Old 12-02-2019, 08:35 AM

Mein Auto: 1988 M3, 2011 X5 35D
Quote:

Pretty much this.

I liked having his wisdom here and don't get how he was perceived as a bully unless someone didn't like being wrong or was way to thin skinned.

There have been way worse bmw internet group bullies or cult of personalities over the years. Anyone involved with any of the iterations of the "garage" list should be well aware.
Old 12-02-2019, 12:14 PM

Mein Auto: M6 GC ZCP; '12 X5 Diesel
IMO, everyone contributes in their own way. It's not like ARD was blatantly obstructive in his comments. He just has a sarcastic way of writing it. I actually wish he's back, b/c everyone has a different point of view especially when discussing troubleshooting topics. Typically a hiatus on a car forum means the user sold his car.

But then again, I had a few periods of non-activity here b/c I had 2 kids since 2015. It's hard for me to offer advice anymore, admittedly, I'm here to take more than to give as I'm not the expert on anything here. This forum is incredibly useful and helpful to me as I troubleshoot the tons of issues I've had with my X5d. It's the de facto primary E70 forum on the internet IMO. I just wish members like Doug, Blue Dragon, Edycol, FredinSF, kanar200, f30jojo and others dont' sell their cars before I do!!! lol
2013 bicycle (oily chain)

Last edited by Flying Ace; 12-02-2019 at 12:17 PM.
Old 12-02-2019, 12:17 PM

Mein Auto: M6 GC ZCP; '12 X5 Diesel
Quote:
I confirmed that there are @holes in every forum. Even BMW forums
you think this is bad...you should see the M3 forums on bimmerpost.
2013 bicycle (oily chain)
Old 12-02-2019, 12:24 PM
Nuclear engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
I just wish members like Doug, Blue Dragon, Edycol, FredinSF, kanar200, f30jojo and others dont' sell their cars before I do!!! lol
Milady Wife is 81y.o. and I’m just a kid at 71, and this is supposed to be our last car. We had the VW TDI for thirteen years good trouble free years and sold it only for the safety of a larger vehicle. The community Door2Door van is next when I have to give up my keys, and then to my daughter that is still commuter driving her 2000 Civic.

Old 12-03-2019, 12:28 PM
Loving the road!...

Mein Auto: 2012 E70 35i Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95wildtt View Post
+1
With that said, a good reminder that all of us were noobs at one time, so some measure of patience and a generally friendly attitude are appreciated by those that are just now learning about the E70.
There were a lot fewer threads in this forum back when some of us were learning

The information everyone has provided has been invaluable over the years. I would imagine it could add up to hundreds of thousands if not millions of $$$ in true cost... priceless for reality check and aggravation avoidance. Includes the newbie or veteran responses and much of the time the conversation and debate over issues itself creates the Book of Knowledge. What someone might have asked of an SA/Dealer and then shared with this group has been helpful in duplicating or (quite often) created warnings for what not to fall prey to. You technicians and SMEs out there with the tips, tricks, modifications and workarounds....I could not mention all of it nor say enough in gratitude for those of you who do or have contributed and shared...thanks!

Previous - 2009 E70 30i, Vermillion. Sold @ 57K miles.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:49 PM

Mein Auto: x5 35d e70 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
He may not have had any sense of friendliness or respect.
Funny, I've got more respect and friendliness from ARD than you.

I wish he was back here.

Last edited by robnitro; 12-03-2019 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:55 PM
Nuclear engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnitro View Post
Funny, I've got more respect and friendliness from ARD than you.

I wish he was back here.
That is correct.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search