BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Bimmerfest Mandatory ED Compliance... Individual Manufaktur 2017 M3

10K views 75 replies 24 participants last post by  Technic 
#1 · (Edited)
This was a very quick but amazingly fulfilling ED that really was not related to picking up the car at all. After 17 months of emails trying to get this done it went sideways at some point and the real ED vacation planned around this car was cancelled because the car was delayed by almost 3 months. So a 12 days vacation became a 4 day quickie. But by starting backwards this time -visit friends and places first, pickup car last- what was a frustrating experience became something really meaningful in my life. To my friends... thanks for everything. You mean everything to me. :)

The M3 was just frosting:

- Individual Atlantis Metallic
- Individual Full Leather Golden Brown
>> Custom leather dash in 3/4 Black and 1/4 Golden Brown w/contrast stitching
>> Custom leather center console w/Black sides and rear in Golden Brown w/contrast stitching
>> Custom kneepad w/contrast stitching
>> Custom door handles in Golden Brown w/contrast stitching
>> Custom rear seat headrest back panels in Golden Brown leather
>> Custom Full Leather door panels w/contrast stitching
>> Additional Golden Brown leather to cover front seat backs, center console trim and power seat controls trim (not shown, to be retrofitted when car arrives stateside)
- Competition Package
- Executive Package
- Lighting Package
- Side/Top cameras
- Apple CarPlay

M Studio Tour:

See less See more
#2 ·
Very Nice. I love your color combo and spec.

#7 ·
#4 ·
Awesome!

#6 ·
Absolutely gorgeous!!!

Did you work this through your dealer or directly with BMW Individual in Germany?

#11 ·
Thanks... Atlantis Metallic is a special order color via Individual. It is not an Individual color -Individual colors have a different composition than "regular" paints, like flat clear, glossy/more scratch-resistant clear or more/different metal flakes.

#12 ·
Notes from the M Studio tour:

- MY2018 M4 LCI production starts on March. Headlights and taillights changes, hardcore package to be offered (CS), Frozen Grey (from GTS) will be available in all M4
- MY2018 M3 2nd LCI (first time ever within same chassis) production starts on March. Headlights change (same as the M4), Frozen Grey (from GTS) will be available in all M3.

#15 ·
Gorgeous vehicle Technic. You've always had impeccable taste before, but this takes it to another level. GB looks like Cinnamon with a pinch of Natural brown sugar thrown in the mix. Whatever the recipe is it definitely works, and is a very nice complement with the AB exterior skin.

If it had a proper transmission and Style 369 wheels I dare say it would almost be the perfect M3, at least for me. :)

Other than maybe window tint, anything left on the table (and in the wallet :) ) yet to do with it after re-delivery?

#16 ·
:rofl:

Thanks... :p

I have the full aftermarket upgrades for this car already once it arrives stateside:

-Suspension, brakes, wheels, engine = Eibach springs, 20" BC Forged wheels, CCB caliper conversion with M5 front rotors, painted engine cover, BMS Stage 1
- Exterior = CF front splitters with upper trim, painted front lip, CF rear diffuser, CF trunk M4-style spoiler, painted reflectors
- Interior = M performance pedals, Golden Brown leather-covered iDrive controller mount trim, CF steering wheel (upper rim) with tri-stripe, CF front/rear seat backrests center trim with tri-stripes, front seat backrests sides covered with Golden Brown leather, change location of new USB port at trim below climate control to glovebox.

Gorgeous vehicle Technic. You've always had impeccable taste before, but this takes it to another level. GB looks like Cinnamon with a pinch of Natural brown sugar thrown in the mix. Whatever the recipe is it definitely works, and is a very nice complement with the AB exterior skin.

If it had a proper transmission and Style 369 wheels I dare say it would almost be the perfect M3, at least for me. :)

Other than maybe window tint, anything left on the table (and in the wallet :) ) yet to do with it after re-delivery?

#18 ·
Very nice! I considered ordering individual but once I read about the extended production times even for Tanzanite it was not good for me.
Good job on being able to live through that I'm sure it was worth it.

#21 ·
Adding my congratulations - very handsome. I have an old-timey sportscar I'lm restoring which came in a very similar color combo, but with a darker blue for the exterior color and a light blue for the carpets. I've always thought this was a terrific combo, and have been frustrated for years that BMW doesn't offer a lighter brown/tan in the interiors. Enjoy!

#24 ·
Technic - I knew you ordered something special, but WOW...this is awesome! :bow:

Also, want to thank you for all you did in advising me on my Individual 340i! :thumbup:

#36 ·
beautiful...Atlantis is the best in my unbiased opinion :)

#40 ·
Beautiful car; congratulations! I've done highly customized BMW and Porsche ED's, and there is nothing like seeing your car that had existed only in your mind's eye for months in advance.

#42 ·
Beautiful bold color scheme!

#44 · (Edited)
Final tracking leg...

Car was shipped in the Eurasian Highway on the 30th of Nov, or about 6 days after Munich drop off. The Eurasian Highway is part of the K-Line shipping line which does not have a vehicle tracking system as the WW line. So I am tracking the ship via free Sat trial and once it hits Brunswick then I will start calling the BMW Genius line for ground tracking updates.

So far:
- Nov 23: delivery at Welt
- Nov 24: drop off at Munich Airport LogInOut
- Nov 24: pick up from LogInOut to Bremerhaven port
- Nov 30: loaded on the Eurasian Highway at Bremerhaven port
- Dec 2: left Bremerhaven port
- Dec 3: arrives at Southampton port
- Dec 4: left Southampton port
- Dec 17: arrives at Baltimore port
- Dec 18: left Baltimore port
- Dec 20: expected in Brunswick (about 5 days of delay from original 15th of Dec arrival estimate)

#48 ·
Are you getting this detail from the vessel tracking, from your dealer or from somewhere else?

#53 · (Edited)
Thanks

The Individual ordering process is very time consuming as it seems designed to be very "old school" although they do not see it that way. There is no website that you can design your own options/colors, no set list of options to choose from, no set price list. This is all via email, back and forth, with your own sketches, your own written descriptions of what you would like and then wait days or weeks to get their understanding, approval and pricing -if any.

So in my particular case (ED, artificially limited dealer M3 allocations, particular ED date, full Individual exterior and interior) I needed to start the request a little over a year in advance to allow plenty of time for Individual to process and approve my order as close as possible to what I wanted. That it took an extra 3 months on top of that and only after escalating my order complaints to upper management tells how much this Individual ordering process is broken. Great people, lousy process.

ED only gets complicated if you want an Individual car. Other than this, there is not that much that I can add to the ED planning/lessons learned that have not been discussed in this forum. As you can see repeatedly in threads, first and foremost, your dealer must be experienced in ED. Although it is just paperwork, it will affect your desired delivery date if the paperwork and the timing is not done correctly. An experienced CA can do an ED order in minutes and get your desired pickup date in a couple of days. Or get you hanging for weeks.

One thing that I like to point out in particular to forum members is that there is an entry in the ED paperwork that allows your car to be delivered to any dealership in the USA, not necessarily to the selling dealer. In other words, technically you can order an ED car in one dealer and set it up to be redelivered at any other dealer at no cost once it gets to the USA. The $995 Destination and Handling charged in your order covers the whole USA, not just your selling dealer. The only condition is that the entry in the ED paperwork must have the numeric code of the re-delivery destination dealer. And to obtain that code you may or may not be charged by your destination dealer to provide it. I have received quotes from free to $750 to get that code. The main benefit of selecting this alternate re-delivery option is that your car will go from the VDC straight to your selected dealer in the BMW-selected trucking company, saving you time and no need for your selling dealer to ship your car privately to another dealer after being delivered there -two re-deliveries and trucking rides increase the chance of damages to the car, and you will have to deal with that private company on your own if any damages.

Everything else is your own vacation planning. Don't try to push a lot to do and see in a few days and just enjoy a great time with your loved ones. The car is secondary -unless picking it up is the only thing that you are going to do. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.