New BMW X1 Rear Bike Rack? - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)

X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
First generation BMW X1 availbe as a X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i xDrive.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 x28i Sportline
New BMW X1 Rear Bike Rack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by invisihitch View Post
Whether you decide to go with the invisihitch or some other hitch, please buy a hitch that respects the crumple zones of your vehicle. A hitch that mounts to a framemember of the vehicle and then permanently sticks out the back creates a bypass of the crumple zones. In a rear-end collision, such a hitch transfers crash energy down rigid framemembers and directly into the cabin. It is not the frame damage to your vehicle that you need to be concerned about; it's the damage to the precious cargo seated next to you.

Crumple zones were introduced in the 1950s and they have become more sophisticated and more effective in the years since. They save lives. And they greatly reduce the severity of injuries. Here is a brief, readable article on crumple zones if you aren't familiar with them: http://www.autoevolution.com/news/ho...work-7112.html

On the BMW X1, if a hitch requires the panoramic sunroof option, the hitch almost certainly attaches to a framemember of the vehicle. This is because BMW adds an additional A-frame underneath the X1 to compensate for the loss of stiffness in the chassis when the panoramic sunroof is added. There is absolutely no reason for a hitch to require the panoramic sunroof option if it does not attach to the additional framemember on such vehicles.

You can also look at photos of a hitch to determine whether it respects the crumple zones. Attached are two photos. The first photo shows a hitch that respects the crumple zones. You can see that the hitch bolts onto the rear of the chassis only. The chassis will crumple as designed in the event of a rear-end collision with this type of hitch.

The second photo shows a hitch that bypasses the rear crumple zones. You can see that, in addition to bolting onto the chassis, this hitch has a rigid steel arm that reaches past the crumple zones to bolt onto a framemember. That type of bypassing of a critical crash-safety system is what you do not want in a hitch.

Daryl
[email protected]

I totally understand and appreciate the detailed explanation on how the rod that attaches to the cross member will direct rear end force straight to the core of the vehicle. We know they added that for stiffness and im wondering for those who have the sunroof option for their x1 that if you get a hitch without that extra rod attached to the cross member, doesn't that also compromise the structural integrity of the frame when hauling a trailer for example? If not then that extra rod can just be removed and towing capacity will remain the same for hitches that respect crumple zones. Im just left to wonder that vehicles that have the added cross member aren't meant to tow because u risk either of the two things.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2014, 01:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 Audi Q5 3.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLX1 View Post
I went with the Invisihitch on my 2014 x28i. Installed it myself...I rest my case.
Good choice! Did the same on my '13...no regrets

HaveBulldogWillTravel
2006 Mazda Miata GT Winning Blue, Cosworth SC, Axial Flow SSK, FM Stage 2 Susp, Goodwin exhaust, Enkei PF01
2017 VW Tiguan SEL
2018 Ford F-150 RubyRed 4WD Lariat 3.5Ecoboost
Old 01-06-2014, 02:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicsonryan View Post
I totally understand and appreciate the detailed explanation on how the rod that attaches to the cross member will direct rear end force straight to the core of the vehicle. We know they added that for stiffness and im wondering for those who have the sunroof option for their x1 that if you get a hitch without that extra rod attached to the cross member, doesn't that also compromise the structural integrity of the frame when hauling a trailer for example? If not then that extra rod can just be removed and towing capacity will remain the same for hitches that respect crumple zones. Im just left to wonder that vehicles that have the added cross member aren't meant to tow because u risk either of the two things.
I'm not sure if I am reading the question correctly, but I think the question is: "Given that the X1 with panoramic sunroof is known to have a less stiff chassis than the X1 without panoramic sunroof, is it safe to tow with the former using a hitch that relies only on the chassis (i.e., does not also attach to a framemember)?"

The answer is yes (and that is exactly what you should do). But bear in mind that:
(1) the X1 with panoramic sunroof has a lower towing capacity than the X1 without panoramic sunroof (3500 lbs vs 4400 lbs); and
(2) you need to use a hitch that was designed from the start to respect the crumple zones (not a modified hitch that was designed to attach to a framemember).

You should never alter a hitch by removing one of its attachment struts. The extra strut was put there for a reason. In the case of the pictured X1 hitch that bypasses the crumple zones by connecting to a framemember, its cross beam hangs considerably lower than its chassis attachment points. This creates too much torque on the chassis, so the manufacturer added a strut to the A-frame to offset that torque. You don't get a safe hitch by simply removing that strut. Instead you end up with a hitch that over-torques the chassis.

The way to get a safe hitch is to select one that was designed properly from the outset. That doesn't necessarily mean buying the invisihitch. There are certainly other hitch manufacturers (Thule, Westfalia, etc) who comply with all of BMW's hitch-design specifications, just like we do. Their hitches, like ours, fully respect the crumple zones while still providing you with the full rated towing capacity of the vehicle.
Of course I hope you will choose the invisihitch, but please get a hitch that respects the crumple zones. Some things are more important than others.

Daryl
[email protected]

Last edited by invisihitch; 01-06-2014 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:54 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 335i
Has anyone purchased the new rear rack without a hitch?
Old 06-02-2014, 04:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2020 BMW X-3 X Drive 30i
Question Yakimaź - KingJoe Trunk Mount Bike Rack for my X1?

Anybody tried a Yakimaź - KingJoe Trunk Mount Bike Rack

BMW X1 2013, KingJoe Trunk Mount Bike Rack by Yakimaź. Available in 2 or 3 bike capacity. The KingJoe is the easy to install, easy to use trunk mount bike rack that will get your bikes to your riding destination safely and securely at an affordable price.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 F25
Have had a Saris Bones for years, which has adjusted to fit my 2002 530, 2008 328, my 2011 x3, and now my 2014 X1.

Nowhere near as good as a hitch mount, but it's been solidly carrying my bikes for years

Old 06-03-2014, 06:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2020 BMW X-3 X Drive 30i
Saris Bones Bike Rack for X1

Thank you I will check it out. Looks like the weight of the bike (1 road bike in my case) would be primarily on the bumper. Is that OK? Does it damage the paint on the BMW? Probably not if the surfaces are clean.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 F25
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimoX1 View Post
Thank you I will check it out. Looks like the weight of the bike (1 road bike in my case) would be primarily on the bumper. Is that OK? Does it damage the paint on the BMW? Probably not if the surfaces are clean.

The saris bones has rubber feet on the bottom of its "legs". Never had scratches from that . Must be careful with the coated hooks, though.

Old 06-07-2014, 02:30 PM

Mein Auto: S-Drive X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimoX1 View Post
Anybody tried a Yakimaź - KingJoe Trunk Mount Bike Rack

BMW X1 2013, KingJoe Trunk Mount Bike Rack by Yakimaź. Available in 2 or 3 bike capacity. The KingJoe is the easy to install, easy to use trunk mount bike rack that will get your bikes to your riding destination safely and securely at an affordable price.
I just purchased the Yakima King Joe-3 (holds three bikes) and put it on this afternoon. It goes on fairly easy although I found the instructions to be poor and the illustrations likewise were of little value.

Your best bet figuring how to mount it is to go to youtube and watch someone do it on a hatchback. It is much simpler than what the instructions allude to. The confusion comes from the fact that the kit has multiple different straps and adapting gizmos designed for different cars. It is not clear which ones to use for the X1.

Once you know how to hook it up it goes on in 5 minutes and is very secure.

There were two problems I had to deal with specific to the X1. The first is my bike tire was only slightly above the exhaust pipe (I have an XL frame) so the tire will have to be removed to avoid heat damage. Mounting the second bike should not be an issue as the tire would be far enough away from the exhaust stream.

The second issue is the support pad on the rear windshield renders the rear windshield wiper inoperable. Not really a problem since once your bike is mounted you cannot see much out the rear window anyway. And this would be the case with any bike occupying the rear space in front of the rear window. Likewise the license plate is partially obscured by the support pads. I suppose that could be a legal issue.

On the plus side you can raise the rear hatch with the bikes attached, the configuration of the King Joe frame is versatile enough that you can make it fit in many different ways on the back of the car to suit your needs and it appears to be well made.

If you do not plan to put a hitch on your car I find this to be an inexpensive alternative.
Old 10-03-2015, 05:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 525i SW
BMW Bicycle Carrier and Backup Sensors

It looks as if the carrier will interfere or set off the back up sensors. Does anyone know anything about this?
Old 10-04-2015, 06:08 AM

Mein Auto: X1 XDrive35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebolean View Post
It looks as if the carrier will interfere or set off the back up sensors. Does anyone know anything about this?
It certainly would. Nothing much you can do about that. The alarm shuts off once you move forward.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:17 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Aerospike
Mein Auto: 2014 X1 35i
Has anyone tried Ecohitch? It has a 2,000 lbs towing capacity, but it mounts aft of the crumble zone.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search