Head Unit - Stereo Swap - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 07-25-2018, 08:39 PM

Mein Auto:
Head Unit - Stereo Swap

Hi Folks,

I have just bought an X5 3.0D. My model has the split stereo where the radio and CD player are separated. I want a reversing camera and I'm going to replace the split stereo with either

1. A BMW head unit sourced from a breakers yard or
2. An aftermarket unit with larger screen.

I've seen ads for Eonon, Chinese made units with various names, and I have also seen ads for a brand called Seicane that do what looks like a nice touch screen unit.

When I called a breakers yard they told me I needed the Head Unit, Loom cable, and a TV Module that is fitted in the boot, and they were looking silly money for it, just nuts. I don't want to under or overbuy the parts needed, so my questions are this

1. Should I use a salvaged BMW head unit?

I am asking because I think technology has moved on and it might be a waste to put the older BMW headset in, even if it is an original BMW unit.

2. Is upgrading the existing (split) stereo to a salvaged BMW unit (with screen) doable?
And if the upgrade is possible,

3. What parts do I need from the salvaged BMW? Loom? Head unit? And hardware from the boot?

4. If getting a non BMW headset is the best way to go then could you recommend a brand?

I'm not overly technical so I can take panels off, unplug electronics and follow instructions but I might encounter some headwind if I've to rewire the space shuttle to swap the units over.

I am very grateful in advance for your help and advice.

Bennylava
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2018, 09:35 AM

Mein Auto: 02 X5 3.0i mostly stock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennylava View Post
Hi Folks,

I have just bought an X5 3.0D. My model has the split stereo where the radio and CD player are separated. I want a reversing camera and I'm going to replace the split stereo with either

1. A BMW head unit sourced from a breakers yard or
2. An aftermarket unit with larger screen.

I've seen ads for Eonon, Chinese made units with various names, and I have also seen ads for a brand called Seicane that do what looks like a nice touch screen unit.

When I called a breakers yard they told me I needed the Head Unit, Loom cable, and a TV Module that is fitted in the boot, and they were looking silly money for it, just nuts. I don't want to under or overbuy the parts needed, so my questions are this

1.Should I use a salvaged BMW head unit?

I am asking because I think technology has moved on and it might be a waste to put the older BMW headset in, even if it is an original BMW unit.

2.Is upgrading the existing (split) stereo to a salvaged BMW unit (with screen) doable?
And if the upgrade is possible,

3. What parts do I need from the salvaged BMW? Loom? Head unit? And hardware from the boot?

4. If getting a non BMW headset is the best way to go then could you recommend a brand?

I'm not overly technical so I can take panels off, unplug electronics and follow instructions but I might encounter some headwind if I've to rewire the space shuttle to swap the units over.

I am very grateful in advance for your help and advice.

Bennylava
This is by far the worst discussion on all the BMW forums. I went through pages and pages of discussion and couldn't tell who actually knew what they where talking about. Finally I found Crowz on xoutpost.com guy has done his research, I bought the newer version of the seicane that he got and it is now my favorite deck I have ever owned. See link to his post.

http://crowz.narmir.com/vehicles/bmw...-installation/

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 09-15-2018, 09:34 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: SF Bay Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceMcfly View Post
This is by far the worst discussion on all the BMW forums. I went through pages and pages of discussion and couldn't tell who actually knew what they where talking about. Finally I found Crowz on xoutpost.com guy has done his research, I bought the newer version of the seicane that he got and it is now my favorite deck I have ever owned. See link to his post.

http://crowz.narmir.com/vehicles/bmw...-installation/

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Bimmerfest mobile app
What Ace said. Don't waste your money on BMW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2018, 12:57 PM

Mein Auto: '00 323i/97 528i/05 X5
The radio in that install thread is still going strong. Wife drives that one now and she loves it. I put an external microphone on it last week to make the hands free calling clearer. Without the external mic it sounded like you were to far from the microphone. After the new mic it sounds great.

Zero issues with the radio itself. You forget its aftermarket.

1995 318is

1997 528i

2000 323i 400k miles and climbing
Converted from automatic to 5 speed manual

2005 X5 3.0 with Nav, adaptive headlights etc

2013 X5 xdrive35 Turbo
Old 09-15-2018, 01:56 PM
BMdoubleMoo

Mein Auto: 2005 X5 E53
I did a head unit swap on my 2005 X5. it was a wiring nightmare only because the head unit is actually under the spare tire in the back. I have the nav and not the split screen. i would assume that the split would be the same way. it is possible but definitely a job for an experienced installer.
Old 09-15-2018, 02:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i, 2004 X5 4.4L
Cheaper to buy BMW with setup you like...
Old 09-15-2018, 11:40 PM

Mein Auto: '00 323i/97 528i/05 X5
Actually its cheaper to put a Seicane in it.

Especially since it looks factory..

Also with the Seicane and the ibus adapter you lose nothing feature wise (mpg, trip settings, etc)

1995 318is

1997 528i

2000 323i 400k miles and climbing
Converted from automatic to 5 speed manual

2005 X5 3.0 with Nav, adaptive headlights etc

2013 X5 xdrive35 Turbo
Old 09-20-2018, 02:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 X35D // 2004 R53
I put a double-DIN Kenwood in my 2003 (no Nav, no DSP) very similar to BMdoubleMoo. Wasn't too hard, first stuck with original amp, then changed that out for aftermarket also. Biggest drawback of the unit mounted like that is the glare. I put a visor over it, but not as clean/professional as I would've liked.

Swapped out stock speakers w/JBL (component in front doors, skipped dash) and coax in rear doors. First used stock wiring with adapter to head unit, then later when changing amp ran RCA cables to amp & kept using stock speaker wires. Now for two years has 500W on doors and another 500W driving 12" sub in flattish truck box that can be shifted around the back as needed.

Chris
Old 08-12-2019, 06:40 PM
syanagisawa

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW X5
Installing EONON GA9166A into BMW X5 with DSP

I bought the EONON GA9166A for my 2003 BMW X5 because the BMW dot matrix style head unit was not working correctly despite past attempts to repair.
The EONON unit promised to be plug and play and to work with the BMW Digital Sound Processing (DSP) system. The EONON unit also allowed me to add a back-up camera to the BMW. The EONON requires the original head unit (which is really just a display) and some controls to be kept in the circuit to fool the rest of the DSP system to accept the output from the new head unit. The old head unit has to be kept in the glove box.
Does the EONON unit work? Yes, it does. Was it easy to install? NO, it was not. I would not recommend you try to install this unit unless you have past experience working with car radio electronics. Even a highly experienced person would need a whole day to install this unit. The instructions were pitiful and did not explain that installing the unit while maintaining DSP compatibility was difficult. There were several You Tube videos specific to the EONON unit but none of them covered installation while maintaining DSP compatibility.
You are expected to take out the BMW CD player and the head unit and replace with the double DIN EONON unit. What they donít tell you is that for the 2003 BMW X5, you have to cut out and permanently remove the plastic frame that held the old unit in. There is no going back once you commit to installing the EONON unit because you have to cut out so much of the plastic framework. You canít remove the old framework by taking out a few screws. You have to cut it all out.
Once I figured out that I would have to permanently alter the plastic framework, I decided to hook up the EONON unit first and make sure it worked before crossing the Rubicon. This is where I got the second surprise. The instruction manual correctly says that to make the radio work with the BMW DSP system, you have to move one of the supplied wire harness connectors from one end of the harness to the other. What that means is that you have to take apart and refabricate the harness. This was actually a chance to cut out all the connectors you donít need and cut off the connector you need for the trunk end of the harness. There is no way to run the harness neatly without cutting off the end connector and reinstalling it after you pull the wire harness through the cable duct in the BMW floor. I am partially color blind so I had to get my fiancťe to help me match up the wires. I reinstalled the sheath and cut the harness to the correct length after installing it. Be very careful to make sure the wire correspondence is maintained to the connectors at BOTH ends.
I installed the backup camera to get power from the backup lights and provide 12v to trigger the display; however, the BMW Canbus system didnít like this parasitic load. The system refused to operate the back-up lights until I installed a relay. The back-up light power activated the relay to provide power to the camera and send an activation voltage to the EONON unit. I used a simple horn relay which worked fine.
Once I was satisfied that the new EONON system would work with the DSP system, I cut out the plastic support framework for the old BMW CD player and the head unit. You have to leave enough framework to support the dashboard central air conditioning duct. The EONON fits well but the supplied brackets are useless. I put in some Bondo on the framework that was left and pushed the EONON unit against the Bondo to get the clearances right. Use some grease to keep the Bondo from sticking to the head unit. The Bondo provided enough meat for the mounting screws to take hold.

The last challenge was the old head unit which EONON says to put in the glove box. The wires from the BMW harness are not long enough to reach the glove box. I had to cut the factory connector off and splice in wires to extend the cable. Fortunately I had plenty of wire left over from refabricating the EONON harness.
How well does the EONON unit work with the BMW DSP system? Well enough. This post is already too long so I will save my critique for another post.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search