trans. failsafe - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 05-26-2019, 12:33 PM

Mein Auto: X5
trans. failsafe

I have experienced several fault codes on my 2006 X5 SUV. Only recently learned (I think) how to identify what I have...An E53 body with an M54 engine and a 6 speed automatic X drive.

I replaced the battery within 3 months of getting it and unfortunately did not know my model has a "smart" battery that needs to be registered and when replaced needs to be an exact replacement or the "smart" needs to be reprogrammed. In my ignorance I don't know if the battery was an exact replacement but I do know it was not registered or reprogrammed. Then last winter( in DEC 2018) I put studded tires on and immediately got a "trans, failsafe prog." warning. Operated normally but had the fault notice. Had a 4X4 and DSC yellow light also. I took it to a local tranny shop. The guy was honest and told me he couldn't fix BMWs but did check my fluid level (it was ok) and read the codes on his scanner. Told me I had a engine interface fault and reset the codes.

I read where studs could cause a DSC fault so removed them and went back to my original street tires. After 5 miles of driving the trans. failsafe prog warning went off and didn't come back on until April of this year. I continued to drive normally except for slight hard downshift between 3rd and 2nd and 2nd and 1st. 2 weeks ago the fun started. I knew I had a Mass air flow sensor fault at one time so I cleaned both air flow sensors. Nothing changed. Now I still have trans failsafe warning but within a minute of start up the dash and radio lights flicker, About a week ago the dash lights started going out completely about 5 minutes after the flickering, also the heated seats quit working and the courtesy lights go on and off as you drive. NOTE I quit driving the car at this point. My Centrex OBDII scanner won't read BMW codes so I bought a Foxwell NT510 scanner. Now I am finding out what I don't know and expect to be a regular on here for a while.

I scanned the vehicle with the NT510 yesterday and am in the process of learning what faults I have and what they are. I think I counted 17 faults on my first 100% scan.

The first fault in the data list is a 5F1D DSC Engine management interface. Seems that fault was apparent last winter when I went through the stud tire issue. some consistency here and that scares me some.

next fault is 5F42 DSC transmission control limp home operation. should note here I never experienced any "limp" mode. Vehicle operated normally shifted and accelerated okay. was able to drive at freeway speeds with no apparent problems.

I would appreciated any insight anyone can give me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2019, 09:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: SF Bay Area
Sometimes you need to clear all faults and start over. There could be a bunch of codes stored from before that have noting to do with what's going on now. Clear it, run it and check it again. Could be as simple as a battery problem. Fresh codes will help direct you.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty150hs View Post
Sometimes you need to clear all faults and start over. There could be a bunch of codes stored from before that have noting to do with what's going on now. Clear it, run it and check it again. Could be as simple as a battery problem. Fresh codes will help direct you.
Agree with Fifty.... also, be sure the battery ground is tight. I have never had a problem with different batteries, just be sure that when you change your battery you hook up a battery charger to the connectors under the hood so the electronics stay "live" (be careful with the terminal leads that connect to the battery as the red is "hot" !!)

Be certain there is enough trans fluid. You have to check the level with the car running, then carefully with brakes applied, slide thru the gears to spin the torque converter. I have added 1+ quarts until the fluid drizzles back out of the fill hole (full).

Good luck,

Rick
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2019, 09:06 PM

I ran a new scan. No OBD codes but a slew of BMW codes. Went through and reset all of them. They reset without a problem except for 1. When I reset it comes back immediately so go to do some research for that one. Thanks for the info. Helped a ton. Can runs okay no trans. failsafe code and the hard downshift is gone. Still don't have radio center lights or power and the heated seats not working. No cruise control. one of the codes I reset was steering wheel monitor . Your info is helping guide me along and I appreciate the help/
Old 05-28-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmar View Post
I ran a new scan. No OBD codes but a slew of BMW codes. Went through and reset all of them. They reset without a problem except for 1. When I reset it comes back immediately so go to do some research for that one. Thanks for the info. Helped a ton. Can runs okay no trans. failsafe code and the hard downshift is gone. Still don't have radio center lights or power and the heated seats not working. No cruise control. one of the codes I reset was steering wheel monitor . Your info is helping guide me along and I appreciate the help/
Check your fuses. There are two fuse blocks, one in the glove box and one in the right rear behind a removable panel.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:52 PM

thanks. fuses seem to be good. takes a while to ID and check... So I did another scan. I have 6 groups with faults. The 1st one gives an immediate fault each time I clear it. It is a 2D. I looked up 2D and the list of hex codes under 2D is as long as my arm. 36 different ECU labels under the code 2D. Next one is 5E. It has 12 ECU labels under it. You can start to see my dilemma.

To shorten this as much as possible and still give a good picture of what is going on. I reset all the codes ands ran a new scan, 2D comes up immediately in the new scan. The others come up after 1 or more drive cycles. At present I have no trans failsafe which is where I started all of this. However there are some strange things going on. first few minutes after start things are "normal" except for no cruise control, no heated seats, no steering wheels controls working. then the dash lights begin to flicker and then go out including the MID center. Also courtesy lights come on get bright then go dim and out then repeat. Car runs fine no engine or trans fault notices.

Battery voltage at battery is 12.37volts with nothing on. Drops to 12.28 with lights on. engine not running. tested at battery.

I have read in the past it may take 2 or 3 resets to gets all the faults cleared and things back to normal but I am skeptical. Also as a side note there are no stored or pending OBD faults showing up on my scanner. I feel like I am missing something but can't put my finger on it.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:52 PM

thanks. fuses seem to be good. takes a while to ID and check... So I did another scan. I have 6 groups with faults. The 1st one gives an immediate fault each time I clear it. It is a 2D. I looked up 2D and the list of hex codes under 2D is as long as my arm. 36 different ECU labels under the code 2D. Next one is 5E. It has 12 ECU labels under it. You can start to see my dilemma.

To shorten this as much as possible and still give a good picture of what is going on. I reset all the codes ands ran a new scan, 2D comes up immediately in the new scan. The others come up after 1 or more drive cycles. At present I have no trans failsafe which is where I started all of this. However there are some strange things going on. first few minutes after start things are "normal" except for no cruise control, no heated seats, no steering wheels controls working. then the dash lights begin to flicker and then go out including the MID center. Also courtesy lights come on get bright then go dim and out then repeat. Car runs fine no engine or trans fault notices.

Battery voltage at battery is 12.37volts with nothing on. Drops to 12.28 with lights on. engine not running. tested at battery.

I have read in the past it may take 2 or 3 resets to gets all the faults cleared and things back to normal but I am skeptical. Also as a side note there are no stored or pending OBD faults showing up on my scanner. I feel like I am missing something but can't put my finger on it.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmar View Post

Your Foxwell scanner should be giving you information in plain english along with a code, not just a hex code. Not sure what's going on.

Your battery voltage looks good. What are you showing for voltage when it's running? Should be 13.7v or better.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:46 AM

the code readout on the scanner for the first group is 2D DME multifunction steering wheel, monitoring, interface 5E DME Secondary-air hot-film air-mass sensor. When I clear the codes and run another scan this group comes up immediately on the new scan. The are 5 other groups with from 1 to 6 faults that come up after the engine has run for a while. some of the additional faults come up after 2 or 3 drive cycles.

the hex codes I was referring to came from a BMW code list website after I entered the 2D code. the following is part of the 36 items listed for 2D:

2D
Hex Only Codes
Code Label ECU Variant ECU Label Fault Info
2D Open circuit or line, door-lock heating zke4 base module
2D GM: Relay for power window, passenger door zke5 base module 5
2D GM: Relay for power window unit, front, passenger's side zke5_s12 base module 5
2D DDE: Electronic immobiliser (EWS) dde22ds0 Diesel Electronics
2D DDE: Electronic car immobilization system dde30ds0 Diesel Electronics
2D DME: DMS Digital Motor Electronics: fault stored dm5212r5 Motor Electronics
2D DME: DMS Digital Motor Electronics: fault stored dm5212r6 Motor Electronics
2D DME: DMS Digital Motor Electronics: fault stored dm524ds0 Motor Electronics
2D DME: DMS Digital Motor Electronics: fault stored dm528ds0 Motor Electronics
2D DME: DMS Digital Motor Electronics: fault stored dm528ds3 Motor Electronics
Old 06-06-2019, 02:12 PM

Mein Auto: 01' E53 4.4i
Following along

I'm following this as my daughters E53 is exhibiting similar concerns. Intermittent trans fail safe comes on after start up, then goes away after a minute or so. My OTC Genisys evo shows no OBD codes, but a few BMW codes. 151, 116, 33, 20 come to mind first. I have replaced the brake switch with OEM supplier part and proper adjustment. New battery 1 year ago, aftermarket stereo install, new alternator 6 months ago. Along with several "maintenance repairs".

The road test shows no physical attributes of being in limp mode as all gears are there and shifts seem to be normal and on point. Manual shift mode shows no concerns as well. When I attempt to clear the codes, all codes come back immediately as a hard fault. The transmission looks to be fairly new, possibly replaced at the shop she purchased it from. When I get home, I'll try to post some screen shots of my scan results. Oh, and the brake signal pid shows always on, despite brake pedal not being depressed and brake lights not being on. Pressing the brake pedal does not change the pid value. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:23 AM

you are experiencing some items I have not seen on my scanner. I am down to 3 basic faults that return immediately when cleared. DME fault mass air flow sensor An auc sensor fault and an IHKA multi function steering wheel fault. I ordered a new mass air flow sensor not here yet. found the plug fell out of the AUC sensor so plugged it back in and fault is gone. still have multifunction steering wheel fault and have not found a lot of information about the multifunction steering wheel except that it is the less exotic steering wheel so this model of car. good luck
Old 06-07-2019, 08:15 AM

Thanks. The Brake switch codes are what is hanging me up. The 151 (CAN brake signal) and the 116 (brake switch malfunction) are, what I believe, the culprits causing the trans fail safe mode as it thinks the brake pedal is applied when its not. This probably changes the transmission shift strategy some. The ABS codes are no problem, just not a priority right now. I have access to Mitchell on demand but the diagnostic tree is somewhat of an anomaly for me. I just cant grasp thinking like a European. I'll keep scratching my head, but the idea of taking it to a shop is drawing near. I've been a certified tech for over 25 years, and I don't like that idea much.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:20 PM

Update: So I bit the bullet and bought the Euro software for my Modis Ultra. Ran through all the tests and such. First round had the same results, 151, 116, 33,32, and a few others I'm not to worries about right now. So I cleared all the codes and still had trans failsafe msg. Checked brake pid, showed on when pedal was not pressed. Cleared all modules again, and for some reason the brake pid showed off position, fail safe did not show up. checked the other modules and cleared the codes just in case, and all is well in the hood apparently. I'm led to believe that my shop scanner, OTC, wasn't cutting the mustard when it came to code manipulation. I noticed that my Modis can now code modules too, so that's a bonus. I'm going to check it again tomorrow after a test drive and post my results. I'll try to figure out how to upload some pics as well.

Last edited by KBaney; 06-07-2019 at 07:43 PM.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:22 PM

great news. I have read several posts telling that codes sometimes need to be read and cleared 3 or 4 times to "take". Hope you are on the road to success.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:24 PM

Update: I reinstalled the hush panels and knee bolster under the steering column after I verified the codes were still gone and everything was good. Upon leaving my driveway, the failsafe message came back, the radio stopped working, and the same codes came back with the failsafe message. Car seemed to shift fine. I am of the opinion that I am dealing with a wiring issue, possible a short as the brake pid still shows on with no pedal movement and brake lights are not on. If I may ask, does anyone know of a factory schematic that is available to DL or print for this system? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-31-2019, 01:20 PM

Mein Auto:
bad ignition switch?

I just had the same problem with my 2003 X5 4.4 and it was the ignition switch. Pulling down and turning on the vanity light on the driver side would trigger the airbag light and seat belt light. My radio would turn off, horn wouldn't work sometimes and my cruise control wouldn't work. The worst part was the "trans fail safe prog" message, which is the last thing you want to see. But apparently the ignition switch going bad or failing can cause some weird things to happen. Once we swapped the ignition switch we haven't had any problems. Hopefully that helps!
Old 08-19-2019, 08:16 AM

Update: I replace the brake switch again, this time with a BMW part, not "OEM supplier" part. it fixed the trans fail safe issue and the brake switch pid is reading correctly. Now, the brake lamps only come on by themselves after the vehicle is up to operating temps. After seeing the almost biblical posts about the ABS module issues, I disconnected it and tested it again. The lights still come on after it is up to operating temp. All of the other lights work properly, radio no longer shuts off, and the vehicle runs and drives fine. My question is, what are the possibilities of the LCM causing the issue? I might try to disconnect the blue/red ckt on pin 25, x10117 connector to stop any input signal. Thoughts?

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search