Vibration when turning from a stop. - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 08-14-2019, 06:22 PM

Mein Auto: X5
Vibration when turning from a stop.

It feels like a shutter (small but noticeable vibration) when turning from a slow roll or stop. Doesnít do it when going straight.

First thought it was the trans shifting gears, but it doesnít do it in manual mode or in a straight line.

Steering is kind of heavy in this X5 too. Bought it just 2 weeks ago.

CV joints?

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2019, 01:19 AM

Lets hope somebody can offer a solution as I have the same problem, only when turning left and applying a little power sounds like a tyre rubbing but that isnt it.Has my mechanic beat as well.

Last edited by Unowme; 08-30-2019 at 01:21 AM.
Old 09-06-2019, 06:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 x5 4.4L
bind up with the ptu?
heavy steering is normal with these vehicles.
cv joints are a possiblity...they are common but tend to click in turns and clunk on acceleration. you should inspect them for torn boots as part of a safety inspection for a new to you vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2019, 07:47 AM

Thank you for your reply,however I dont understand what you mean by bind up with ptu.
Old 09-06-2019, 04:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 x5 4.4L
when you turn; all 4 wheels spin at different speeds....this is a problem on awd and 4wd vehicles as the front and rear driveshafts are joined at the t case....something must slip to allow the driveshafts to turn at different speeds. on awd vehicles the slip occurs in the ptu or power transfer unit. if the ptu can't slip properly...a bind up occurs when turning
Old 09-06-2019, 06:23 PM

Ok so this only happens first drive of the day when turning left only and applying a little power after driving for a while no more noise and never any noise when driving streight or turning right.

Should I be worried?

Your advice is valued and appreciated

Thank You

David.

Last edited by Unowme; 09-06-2019 at 06:24 PM.
Old 09-06-2019, 06:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i E70 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unowme View Post
Ok so this only happens first drive of the day when turning left only and applying a little power after driving for a while no more noise and never any noise when driving streight or turning right.

Should I be worried?

Your advice is valued and appreciated

Thank You

David.

Maybe this could also be a failing power steering pump or low power steering fluid?

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 09-07-2019, 01:31 PM

Iíve noticed it only happens under light power. If I put the foot down a little more than normal it seems to dissipate quite a bit or all the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 09-12-2019, 11:30 PM

Mein Auto:
All 4 wheel drive vehicles have a binding, kind of a chirping sound when turning at very slow speed. Especially trucks with direct drive. X5 is a hybrid and differential is independent, not a locked drive train. I believe in both problems here that the issue is due to one or both front wheels are misaligned. Notice the fact that the car is so new.
Factory settings off the assembly line, are close at best. Even more noticeable in the second case where the problem only occurred while turning Left.
You need to have a complete 4 Wheel Thrust Allignment. This can be done by BMW if it is still under warranty, and no cost to you, but any reputable tire shop can
perform the same alignment at probably half the price. Even Wal Mart has the automated system to do a 4 wheel thrust alignment with a fully digital readout showing before and after specs. Don't be surprised if the rear camber is off especially if the vehicle has significant amount of mileage on the clock. It is not adjustable so you need to replace the upper control arm, and even the new part may not be perfect and there is no way to adjust it. Most likely a cost savings decision but will probably be explained as a performance decision by engineering so the camber will not change due to metal being a solid immovable setting. I question that design because the bushings wear out and that changes the camber. However I can justify the design if the bushings could be replaced but they want to sell you a $100 upper control arm, not $5 bushings.
Engineering through obsolescence!!!!!
Old 09-13-2019, 03:43 PM

So, youíre saying itís common with alignment issues? The vibration.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search