Lane Keep Assist Problem - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)

F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
The 2 Series coupe is the replacement for the E82/E88 1 series coupe. Production starts in November 2013 on the 228i (N20) and M235i (N55) coupes. Look for them in dealerships in February 2014. The convertible F23 2 series will follow in the fall of 2014.

Old 06-01-2019, 03:05 PM

Mein Auto: 228i
Lane Keep Assist Problem

Recently took delivery of a 2019 230i. Does anyone else have a problem with an overly sensitive Lane Keep Assist system? Steering wheel vibrates (buzzes) excessively. I had to turn the system off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2019, 10:56 AM
just copacetic!!!

Mein Auto: '16 428i GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16228i View Post
Recently took delivery of a 2019 230i. Does anyone else have a problem with an overly sensitive Lane Keep Assist system? Steering wheel vibrates (buzzes) excessively. I had to turn the system off.
Not clear what is meant by “overly sensitive” - mine senses a lane line whenever I’m very close to it but not over the line yet. Is yours vibrating even when you are not close to a line? I see you finally got your 230i, did you order or purchase off the lot? I think it’s the perfect car for the country roads of HI.
'19 230i MSpt AlpWhite
Old 06-02-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndDown View Post
Not clear what is meant by “overly sensitive” - mine senses a lane line whenever I’m very close to it but not over the line yet. Is yours vibrating even when you are not close to a line? I see you finally got your 230i, did you order or purchase off the lot? I think it’s the perfect car for the country roads of HI.
Steering wheel vibrates even when I'm not close to the lane line. Sounds like I have a sensor problem.

I ordered the 230i. Only options are Dakota leather and Convenience Package. Monthly lease is $470. Also purchased the BMW Lease Protection Plan that covers excessive wear and use charges up to $5,000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2019, 02:20 PM
just copacetic!!!

Mein Auto: '16 428i GC
Dealer service time...
BTW, did yours come with floor mats in the rear? Mine didn't (coupe) but no one sits back there anyway.
'19 230i MSpt AlpWhite
Old 06-03-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndDown View Post
Dealer service time...
BTW, did yours come with floor mats in the rear? Mine didn't (coupe) but no one sits back there anyway.
Yes, I have rear floor mats. Never looked for them until you mentioned it.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: V6 Accord Cpe & Stang GT
Any chance the lane departure is adjustable on sensitivity??

If not, we have that on my wife’s 2017 CRV and we turn it off unless tired on extended out of state trip.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks1 View Post
Any chance the lane departure is adjustable on sensitivity??

If not, we have that on my wife’s 2017 CRV and we turn it off unless tired on extended out of state trip.
I incorrectly identified my problem as one with "lane keep assist." It is actually with the "lane departure" system. I now keep it turned off to avoid the annoying buzzing in the steering wheel.

The lane departure is not adjustable.

Have you heard of models with lane keep assist "over correcting?"
Old 06-05-2019, 02:46 PM

Mein Auto: V6 Accord Cpe & Stang GT
When we activated it on our 2017 CRV first few times almost scared me the way the vehicle took over the steering.

Haven’t used it since, guess they’re all too aggressive
Old 06-05-2019, 06:09 PM
Breaking in the Pony

Mein Auto: 19 Mustang GT / 05 Tacoma
Quote:
My 19 Mustang. Even on the lowest of the 3 intervention levels, the Lane Keeping system will give a very hard shove. If you let it run on its own (resting your hand on the wheel but not placing any force on it), it will run edge-to-edge in the lane with the swings becoming progressively more violent.

Oddly, Lane Keeping triggers before Departure Warning. The car moves the wheel hard against your hand well before the shaking starts. The only way to feel the vibration is to resist through the Lane Keeping, which seems backwards.

Prior 44 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette / 1981 Subaru GL wagon 4WD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion / 2009 BMW 335i xDrive E92 / 2015 BMW M235xi xDrive F22
Old 06-05-2019, 06:47 PM

[QUOTE=Zooks527;13020261]My 19 Mustang. Even on the lowest of the 3 intervention levels, the Lane Keeping system will give a very hard shove. If you let it run on its own (resting your hand on the wheel but not placing any force on it), it will run edge-to-edge in the lane with the swings becoming progressively more violent.]

A BMW tech told me about a similar incident in a 5- or 6-series. He thought the problem was the system's ability (or inability) to accurately read and process the lane lines.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:02 AM

Mein Auto: 328ix sdn; M240ix cpe
Quote:
I incorrectly identified my problem as one with "lane keep assist." It is actually with the "lane departure" system. I now keep it turned off to avoid the annoying buzzing in the steering wheel.

The lane departure is not adjustable.

well, first don't compare different manufacturer's systems from each other unless they are part of the same parts bins (e.g VW group, etc). Apples and oranges.

Well, you only have lane departure warning and not LKA, so it's a moot point, plus what do you mean by "over correcting". Over correcting may not be the best word choice...do you mean correcting in situations like passing a vehicle, passing thinks like bicyclists?

With any new tech in vehicles, people have to re-learn how to drive with those tech features. Think back, if you can, when ABS came on the scene. I would still contend people are still not use to ABS, and we are what nearly half century into that tech.

unless and until vehicles are completely autonomous (and who the heck would want that, since that is basically public transportation that you have to pay thousands of dollars for and throw privacy out of the window), sometimes too much safety tech is simply too much safety tech and can work counter to the intended purpose and may do people more harm than good, with too much sensory input on human's small over taxed brains, especially when driving people's brains shrink given the fact people drive stupid. Interesting CR read
Old 06-22-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imtjm View Post
well, first don't compare different manufacturer's systems from each other unless they are part of the same parts bins (e.g VW group, etc). Apples and oranges.

Well, you only have lane departure warning and not LKA, so it's a moot point, plus what do you mean by "over correcting". Over correcting may not be the best word choice...do you mean correcting in situations like passing a vehicle, passing thinks like bicyclists?

With any new tech in vehicles, people have to re-learn how to drive with those tech features. Think back, if you can, when ABS came on the scene. I would still contend people are still not use to ABS, and we are what nearly half century into that tech.

unless and until vehicles are completely autonomous (and who the heck would want that, since that is basically public transportation that you have to pay thousands of dollars for and throw privacy out of the window), sometimes too much safety tech is simply too much safety tech and can work counter to the intended purpose and may do people more harm than good, with too much sensory input on human's small over taxed brains, especially when driving people's brains shrink given the fact people drive stupid. Interesting CR read
I earlier said I mis-identified "lane departure" as "lane keep assist." Read the entire thread.

One should not have to contend with a buzzing steering wheel when driving straight on the highway. The system needs improvement.

BMW tech told me they have seen models with lane keep assist that will over-correct and violently pitch the vehicle between the lane lines.
Old 06-22-2019, 02:50 PM

Mein Auto: 328ix sdn; M240ix cpe
Quote:
I earlier said I mis-identified "lane departure" as "lane keep assist." Read the entire thread.

One should not have to contend with a buzzing steering wheel when driving straight on the highway. The system needs improvement.

BMW tech told me they have seen models with lane keep assist that will over-correct and violently pitch the vehicle between the lane lines.
i saw what you wrote, but my comments stand as point of emphasis. i would not consider pitching a vehicle between the lane lines over correcting...that is in fact what LKA is intended to do. Again, though, as with any new tech, one needs to learn how to drive or in most cases re-program brain how to drive with it...refer back to ABS. How can BMW techs see models with LKA over-correct? Unless it over corrected in the ditch or into another car/object, that is un utterly nonsense contention.
Old 06-22-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imtjm View Post
i saw what you wrote, but my comments stand as point of emphasis. i would not consider pitching a vehicle between the lane lines over correcting...that is in fact what LKA is intended to do. Again, though, as with any new tech, one needs to learn how to drive or in most cases re-program brain how to drive with it...refer back to ABS. How can BMW techs see models with LKA over-correct? Unless it over corrected in the ditch or into another car/object, that is un utterly nonsense contention.
BMW tech went on a test drive with the owner, specifically Kalanianaole Hwy. in East Oahu.

LKA should only be activated when the vehicle is dangerously close to a lane line, not in normal driving.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
Today's Posts Search