Audio upgrade? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)

F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
The 2 Series coupe is the replacement for the E82/E88 1 series coupe. Production starts in November 2013 on the 228i (N20) and M235i (N55) coupes. Look for them in dealerships in February 2014. The convertible F23 2 series will follow in the fall of 2014.

Old 06-08-2019, 06:05 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: V6 Accord Cpe & Stang GT
Audio upgrade?

I did not order the HK $875 option when ordering my car last Dec. as it seemed 75% of folks online stated not worth it including my BMW agent.

Std audio system is ok, but not great. What is reasonable way < $1k that I can upgrade without ripping apart the dash?? Bit Concerned about scratches if I pay audio shop to install aftermarket upgrades.

Any ideas?? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2019, 06:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 M240i
Go to https://www.2addicts.com/forums/. The audio section is great. IMHO, the hk upgrade isnít worth the $.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:50 AM
just copacetic!!!

Mein Auto: '16 428i GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks1 View Post
I did not order the HK $875 option when ordering my car last Dec. as it seemed 75% of folks online stated not worth it including my BMW agent.

Std audio system is ok, but not great. What is reasonable way < $1k that I can upgrade without ripping apart the dash?? Bit Concerned about scratches if I pay audio shop to install aftermarket upgrades.

Any ideas?? Thanks
BAVsound has been recommended by numerous posters. They have excellent videos for DIY but I would check out an experienced audio shop to install since they should be familiar with most auto brands. Thereís another current post from someone who cracked his wood trim but an experienced installer should not have any problems. I have the HK option and feel itís sufficient for my ears but would have gone with after market if I had the standard audio.

https://www.bavsound.com/
'19 230i MSpt AlpWhite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2019, 07:07 AM

Thx on both guys!

Iím kicking myself a bit cause donít want someone ripping my interior up. I plan on stopping by semi-local car audio place today for initial discussion

Looking for just bit more pinch & richness; doesnít have to be crazy upgrade if at all
Old 06-08-2019, 10:04 AM

And what size & type of whimpy speakers are under our seats??

Never even knew they were there until today
Old 06-09-2019, 06:57 AM

Audio upgrade?

Replacing the speakers in the doors is very easy. There are a couple of screws that need to be remove and then the panel (ďdoor cardĒ) can be popped off. Youíll need a plastic panel removal tool as youíll need to remove the trim on the door grab handles. There are 2 screws behind the trim. The speakers are attached to the doors and not the door card. The hk tweeter enclosures are available on eBay. If you upgrade a front door non-hk system to a component system with separate tweeters youíll need to make sure the system comes with either crossovers or blocking capacitors.

The rears are even easier. You use a trim removal tool to remove the covers on the package shelf and swap the speakers.

The woofers under the seats are a bit tougher as you need to remove the seats. Donít forget to disconnect the negative/ground/earth cable from the battery as the side airbags are in the seats!

The 2 Addicts forum has a great audio section.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:16 AM

Thx, rear speakers can definitely pop out & be replaced without removing the rear panel?? The audio Shop I stopped by yesterday thought panel have to come out.

They did say front seats have to come out to replace the mini Ghost subwoofers but no big deal.

I am not changing out the front speakers, too concerned about door panels getting scratched. Will add 3 way speakers in rear to add improve vocals with mini tweeter. I assume they are 5.25Ē speakers back there??

Thanks
Old 06-09-2019, 07:32 AM
OEM Audio PnP Integration

Mein Auto: 2017 M3
Quote:

Any ideas?? Thanks
eBay -> search for Match UP 7BMW -> offer $700 -> if accepted then order it, PnP install, and enjoy -> no need to replace OEM speakers -> sell it when car is sold.

BMW OEM Audio PnP integration
www.TechnicPnP.com
[email protected]
Old 06-09-2019, 07:39 AM

Audio upgrade?

Confused on the eBay post; Match up what??? When I hear 7 I think of BMW 7 series model

What exactly are you suggesting I look for?? Thanks

Last edited by yanks1; 06-09-2019 at 07:43 AM.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:07 AM

Search for "Match UP 7BMW"...

www.TechnicPnP.com
[email protected]
Old 06-09-2019, 08:08 AM

Yes, the rear package shelf speakers come out very easily after removing the pastiche speaker grills. You wonít scratch the door cards when you remove them. Itís a very simple process to remove them. It takes maybe 5 minutes to remove a door card. Again, check out the audio sub forum at 2 Addicts.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Search for "Match UP 7BMW"...

Thatís an amp thatíll interface properly with you carís audio system. However, JL makes amps that interface with the carís audio system and have digital audio adjustments to enhance the sound. Again, see the audio sub forum at 2 Addicts.

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=520
Old 06-09-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcozandrini View Post
Thatís an amp thatíll interface properly with you carís audio system. However, JL makes amps that interface with the carís audio system and have digital audio adjustments to enhance the sound. Again, see the audio sub forum at 2 Addicts.

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=520
Which JL Amp/DSP is PnP with any BMW OEM audio system for less than $1K as the OP requested?

www.TechnicPnP.com
[email protected]

Last edited by Technic; 06-09-2019 at 08:32 AM.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328xi
I agree the 2 series has a pretty poor stock sound system by modern standards. I actually almost pulled the trigger on a Model 3 and realized one one of my favorite things about it was how amazing the sound was in it.

There's 3 companies that sell DIY speaker upgrades specific to the 2 series: MusicCar NW, Bimmertech, & Bav Sound. Interestingly if you upgrade the base sound, all 3 have fairly different approaches and priority of components based upon budget.

I ended up going with Bav Sound just because Bimmertech does not allow returns, and I did not hear about MusicCar until after I bought from Bav Sound.

I'm not really a huge DIYer, but took a stab at it since they stressed if you can do Ikea furniture you can do this, and of course the youtube videos. I found installation quite a bit more difficult than the videos suggested- it probably took me about 8-9 hours total.

A lot of the extra time was due to misc hiccups that I had to google/research, and they also initially sent me partial wrong speakers. I do have the convertible which rear speaker installation is much more involving than the coupe.

The sound is better, though not really close to the Model 3. I think high end clarity has the largest improvement (makes sense since the stock system does not have tweeters). The woofers are the most expensive part of the upgrade, and I don't think switching those out was a night and day change IMO.

Overall I'm happy with the change, my audio is now above average instead of below, but it was fairly expensive, and not quite sure if my audio is $1,100 better . 100% if I were to go back in time I would give BMW NA the $900 for HK.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:59 AM

Thx all and I will check out the other forum

But I am NOT buying an $900 amp; just looking for mild speakers upgrade under seats & 2 in the rear. And not touching fronts in door panel due to fear of scratching the panels.

Local shop stated we can add a 2 or 4 channel amp to drive the rears tapping into the speakers harness. We shall see

If not, Iíll leave the stock set-up; not the end of the world. I have 2 primary set-ups in my house for serious music listening; Main set-up is 5.1.4; Revel front towers & bookshelf Rears + Outlaw subwoofer driven by Yamaha 9 channel AVR with ATI 2 channel Amp driving the 2 fronts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-09-2019, 09:02 AM

Audio upgrade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokies View Post
I agree the 2 series has a pretty poor stock sound system by modern standards. I actually almost pulled the trigger on a Model 3 and realized one one of my favorite things about it was how amazing the sound was in it.

There's 3 companies that sell DIY speaker upgrades specific to the 2 series: MusicCar NW, Bimmertech, & Bav Sound. Interestingly if you upgrade the base sound, all 3 have fairly different approaches and priority of components based upon budget.

I ended up going with Bav Sound just because Bimmertech does not allow returns, and I did not hear about MusicCar until after I bought from Bav Sound.

I'm not really a huge DIYer, but took a stab at it since they stressed if you can do Ikea furniture you can do this, and of course the youtube videos. I found installation quite a bit more difficult than the videos suggested- it probably took me about 8-9 hours total.

A lot of the extra time was due to misc hiccups that I had to google/research, and they also initially sent me partial wrong speakers. I do have the convertible which rear speaker installation is much more involving than the coupe.

The sound is better, though not really close to the Model 3. I think high end clarity has the largest improvement (makes sense since the stock system does not have tweeters). The woofers are the most expensive part of the upgrade, and I don't think switching those out was a night and day change IMO.

Overall I'm happy with the change, my audio is now above average instead of below, but it was fairly expensive, and not quite sure if my audio is $1,100 better . 100% if I were to go back in time I would give BMW NA the $900 for HK.

Well said, Iím kicking myself as I let folks last year convinced me the HK system not worth $875. Well to upgrade after the fact you have to rip your car apart.. not worth it for mild upgrade
Old 06-09-2019, 09:27 AM

Rear speakers are not full range -worthless to add a sub, worthless to upgrade anything.

Replacing speakers will involve removing panels and tilting the front seats.

Replacing the HiFi OEM amp is where your "less than $1k upgrade" upgrade is. All the lack of sound quality is at the OEM amp. The Match UP 7BMW is not a $900 amp, it is a $700 PnP, amp/DSP complete replacement of the OEM amp, with more than twice the power output and more than a 1000x less distortion. Unplug OEM amp, plug UP 7BMW. That's it.

As always, keeping the OEM system is cheaper than doing any upgrade.

Quote:
Thx all and I will check out the other forum

But I am NOT buying an $900 amp; just looking for mild speakers upgrade under seats & 2 in the rear. And not touching fronts in door panel due to fear of scratching the panels.

Local shop stated we can add a 2 or 4 channel amp to drive the rears tapping into the speakers harness. We shall see

If not, Iíll leave the stock set-up; not the end of the world. I have 2 primary set-ups in my house for serious music listening; Main set-up is 5.1.4; Revel front towers & bookshelf Rears + Outlaw subwoofer driven by Yamaha 9 channel AVR with ATI 2 channel Amp driving the 2 fronts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

www.TechnicPnP.com
[email protected]
Old 06-09-2019, 09:54 AM

Audio upgrade?

How do you and where do you plug in this magic amp??

donít want anyone touching my mint dashboard & scratching it and/or introducing rattles

Last edited by yanks1; 06-09-2019 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Where do you plug in this magic amp??

donít want anyone touching my mint dashboard & scratching it and/or introducing rattles
Unplug OEM amp (left side of trunk), plug UP 7BMW in.

Your system is HiFi(676), so disregard all mentions of the HK(674) (both systems use the exact same connector) and consider the ease of install and the sound improvement: https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh....php?t=1309733

www.TechnicPnP.com
[email protected]
Old 06-09-2019, 10:10 AM

Thought only HK system had amp in trunk?

If so where is it? I have the std set-up with 7 speakers
Old 06-09-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Which JL Amp/DSP is PnP with any BMW OEM audio system for less than $1K as the OP requested?

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-dGNWHT...FYSuyAodT0wKhA

Search the audio sub forum of 2 addicts.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcozandrini View Post
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-dGNWHT...FYSuyAodT0wKhA

Search the audio sub forum of 2 addicts.
That is a $1200 amp/DSP that is not PnP and not 7ch.

www.TechnicPnP.com
[email protected]

Last edited by Technic; 06-09-2019 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Thought only HK system had amp in trunk?

If so where is it? I have the std set-up with 7 speakers
Your HiFi(676) is located in the same place as the HK(674) -left side of trunk.

www.TechnicPnP.com
[email protected]
Old 06-09-2019, 10:37 AM

Audio upgrade?

I have to peel back the carpet to see the Amp and remove a grommet plug??

Last edited by yanks1; 06-09-2019 at 10:52 AM.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
I have to peel back the carpet to see the Amp??
Follow this to access OEM amp and disregard the rest: https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...63&postcount=1

www.TechnicPnP.com
[email protected]

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
Today's Posts Search