Audio upgrade? - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)

F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
The 2 Series coupe is the replacement for the E82/E88 1 series coupe. Production starts in November 2013 on the 228i (N20) and M235i (N55) coupes. Look for them in dealerships in February 2014. The convertible F23 2 series will follow in the fall of 2014.

Old 06-09-2019, 11:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: V6 Accord Cpe & Stang GT
Audio upgrade?

Thanks Technic for the link & comments; I see the same 6 grommet plugs on my 2018. Donít really want pull 6 plugs & pull back my rear trunk plastic molding unless 100% convinced the base amp is in trunk. I thought reading with the base B system the head unit in dash drives the speakers.

Any proof of this either way?? Or else Iíll call BMW USA tomorrow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2019, 11:28 AM
OEM Audio PnP Integration

Mein Auto: 2017 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks1 View Post
Thanks Technic for the link & comments; I see the same 6 grommet plugs on my 2018. Donít really want pull 6 plugs & pull back my rear trunk plastic molding unless 100% convinced the base amp is in trunk. I thought reading with the base B system the head unit in dash drives the speakers.

Check your VIN in here and look for HiFi(676): https://www.mdecoder.com/

BMW OEM Audio PnP integration
www.TechnicPnP.com
[email protected]
Old 06-09-2019, 11:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328xi
Quote:

IIRC from my research there are 3 audio systems for the F22:

Base - amp is in the head unit- the "base" is not available in the USA
Hifi - in the USA this is the "stock" / free audio system - Amp is in the trunk
Harman Kardon - Amp is in the trunk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2019, 12:03 PM

Audio upgrade?

Thanks, put my Vin # in but doesnít get me to spot with my car details; I have my window sticker.

Thanks Hokie, I guess Hi-Fi system is base in USA; so assuming thatís accurate my Amp is in my trunk.. sure hope so
Old 06-09-2019, 02:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2018 M240i
Quote:
Thanks, put my Vin # in but doesnít get me to spot with my car details; I have my window sticker.

Thanks Hokie, I guess Hi-Fi system is base in USA; so assuming thatís accurate my Amp is in my trunk.. sure hope so

Yup, you have an amp in the left side of the trunk. Itís behind the left rear wheel arch. The amp is pretty small. Again, go to the audio sub forum in 2 Addicts.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:25 PM

Thx Marco; I have been there in audio section. At times little confusing since Globally there are 3 audio set-ups;

guess I should upgrade the amp also along with the rears & the 2 Ghost subwoofers under the seats
Old 06-09-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Thx Marco; I have been there in audio section. At times little confusing since Globally there are 3 audio set-ups;

guess I should upgrade the amp also along with the rears & the 2 Ghost subwoofers under the seats
IMO, listen to the new amp/DSP before replacing any OEM speakers.

www.TechnicPnP.com
[email protected]
Old 06-09-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:

Start with the speakers as a new amp wonít improve the sound unless you tune the amp for the speakers and the carís acoustics. Besides, upgrading the speakers is the best bang for the buck. I swapped out the factory hk speakers with Eton speakers up front and JL speakers out back. The sound improvement is well worth the $. Later, install an amp like the JL amp (see the link I provided above) I recommended. Yeah, itís expensive but combined with the upgraded speakers and proper tuning the sound can be transformed from good to great. Then swap out the under seat woofers (they arenít subs). Follow up with a tweak of the tuning.
Old 06-09-2019, 04:30 PM

Audio upgrade?

Thx, yes under seats are woofers; not subwoofers.. my mistake

Thanks on the speakers first suggestion. I tend to agree, also if they are more efficient would help the OEM amp.

Plus Iím not into purchasing an expensive amp; donít drive the car enough, owned 16 months and has ~ 6k miles. Also own a Mustang GT Convertible/Calif Special with VG factory audio system. Just looking for mild upgrade on the 230i

Last edited by yanks1; 06-09-2019 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcozandrini View Post
Start with the speakers as a new amp wonít improve the sound unless you tune the amp for the speakers and the carís acoustics. Besides, upgrading the speakers is the best bang for the buck. I swapped out the factory hk speakers with Eton speakers up front and JL speakers out back. The sound improvement is well worth the $. Later, install an amp like the JL amp (see the link I provided above) I recommended. Yeah, itís expensive but combined with the upgraded speakers and proper tuning the sound can be transformed from good to great. Then swap out the under seat woofers (they arenít subs). Follow up with a tweak of the tuning.
Your recommendation is incorrect. Replacing the HiFi/HK OEM amp is the most cost effective upgrade for the F2x. But what do I know, I have a business of just doing exactly that.

Moving along, nothing to see in here.

www.TechnicPnP.com
[email protected]
Old 06-10-2019, 10:49 AM

Mine is the basic USA Hi-Fi system with the small OEM amp in trunk.

What reasonable amp(s) exists that can fit safely in same location and about how much $$$?

Thanks
Old 06-10-2019, 01:26 PM

Mein Auto: '74 tii / E28s / '03 530i
Quote:
Mine is the basic USA Hi-Fi system with the small OEM amp in trunk.
What reasonable amp(s) exists that can fit safely in same location and about how much $$$?
Thanks
Did you look at https://technicpnp.com/?
BMW CCA #30375 - National Capital Chapter
1974 2002tii
1986 535i
2000 328i
2003 530i
2006 330ic ZHP
2015 228i M Sport
Old 06-10-2019, 04:01 PM

Looks like only wiring harnesses & adapters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-11-2019, 06:22 AM

Audio upgrade?

Technic, I beg to differ with you. While the factory amp in the F2x isnít very powerful, it still does a decent job. The factory speakers, however, are pretty poor. Btw, I be replaced the audio system in my last 2 bimmers. My 1985 325e had its audio system replaced twice, the later replacement system being a top of the Alpine system that included an in-dash equalizer mounted to the left of the steering column. The later bimmer was a 2001 330Ci. The first thing I replaced was the speakers. I installed Diamond Audio fronts and Infinity Kappa rears. Great improvement. The last audio mod was installing a pair of 6.5Ē subs in the package shelf. They were powered by an Alpine sub amp. The factory amp was replaced with a JL 400/4 amp. I know my audio stuff.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328xi
Anyone else in northern VA but upgrade their amp and not their hifi speakers? We can compare- lol
Old 06-12-2019, 07:00 PM

Love to know the above question also; amp upgrade good enough or need to replace some of the speakers?? Heard some say add Coaxial speakers in rear deck to help vocals??

I am not updating front speakers due to concerns over scratching my mint door panels and dashboard
Old 06-13-2019, 04:36 PM
Go Phillies!

Mein Auto: 2016 X6 35i
I never thought the upgrade to the HK was worth it either. Then, in my latest X6, it was in the car. What a difference. You donít think you will really care-until you do. Itís like the first time you had heated seats...you knew would never have a car without them again.

X6 2016
X6 2014
X6 2011
335cxi M pkg 2008 & 2009
335xi 2010
328xi 2015; 2013; 2007; 2004
X3 M pkg 2007; 2004
Old 06-14-2019, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Love to know the above question also; amp upgrade good enough or need to replace some of the speakers?? Heard some say add Coaxial speakers in rear deck to help vocals??

I am not updating front speakers due to concerns over scratching my mint door panels and dashboard

You wonít scratch the front door cards if youíre careful. Replacing the front speakers with components like Eton really improve the sound.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:31 AM

You mean if local shop is careful.. ha-ha

I am not doing this; will pay shop for Labor. Thx on the Eton speakers; how about co-axial for rear deck??
Old 06-14-2019, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HG132 View Post
I never thought the upgrade to the HK was worth it either. Then, in my latest X6, it was in the car. What a difference. You donít think you will really care-until you do. Itís like the first time you had heated seats...you knew would never have a car without them again.

I hear you., itís why I have regrets and want to at least upgrade a few elements. Enjoy your X-6!!
Old 06-16-2019, 05:53 PM

Mein Auto:
For those of you with experience upgrading the sound system in this car, which would you prefer for amp/DSP -

The Match PnP system
The Revenant PnP system
Or separates like a stand-alone DSP & amp combo using PnP harnesses

Would love to hear real-world experiences here, I'm an old-school car audio guy with tons of installs but zero DSP/factory integration experience.

Thanks!
Old 06-22-2019, 05:46 AM

Mein Auto: 328ix sdn; M240ix cpe
Quote:
Thx all and I will check out the other forum

But I am NOT buying an $900 amp; just looking for mild speakers upgrade under seats & 2 in the rear. And not touching fronts in door panel due to fear of scratching the panels.

Local shop stated we can add a 2 or 4 channel amp to drive the rears tapping into the speakers harness. We shall see

If not, Iíll leave the stock set-up; not the end of the world. I have 2 primary set-ups in my house for serious music listening; Main set-up is 5.1.4; Revel front towers & bookshelf Rears + Outlaw subwoofer driven by Yamaha 9 channel AVR with ATI 2 channel Amp driving the 2 fronts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
why waste your money on a "mild speaker upgrade"? There will be zero benefit other than wasting money. First, everything is going through your front end electronics. Chances are you are listening to radio or something compressed via your phone/music player/usb or otherwise. You can even read on speaker manufacturer's website like MTX where they say the potential will be there for better sound by replacing speakers, but the sound quality will not. Why? Because what you put in and xfer to the speakers as a system whole is what matters. Sort of like driving a porsche that can do 0-60 in 2sec, but having stop lights every 10ft. Porsche has the ability to do the acceleration but you aren't gonna derive any benefit because of all the stop lights. Granted, some of you need an entire system upgrade to realize any appreciable sound gain is to get you to spend more money, but for the most part getting just new speakers is a waste of money.

Anyway, if your Yamaha AVR and ATI amp are any indications, then you might as well just keep your stock system...just sayin'.
Old 06-22-2019, 05:49 AM

Quote:
I did not order the HK $875 option when ordering my car last Dec. as it seemed 75% of folks online stated not worth it including my BMW agent.

Std audio system is ok, but not great. What is reasonable way < $1k that I can upgrade without ripping apart the dash?? Bit Concerned about scratches if I pay audio shop to install aftermarket upgrades.

Any ideas?? Thanks
well, your BMW agent sounds like he/she just wanted to sell you the car. Personally, I think the $875 for HK system is well worth the cost, given you will have to spend at least twice that to get a comparable system installed.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:32 AM

Well, bit too late to order the HK system; I ordered vehicle Dec 2017 and delivered to me late Feb-2018... ha-ha

Wouldnít changing the rear speakers to coax help the vocals?? Or perhaps the front door panel speakers also??

Not sure what to do... ugh
Old 06-26-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Well, bit too late to order the HK system; I ordered vehicle Dec 2017 and delivered to me late Feb-2018... ha-ha

Wouldn't changing the rear speakers to coax help the vocals?? Or perhaps the front door panel speakers also??

Not sure what to do... ugh
not really. Although companies like bavsound sell their replacement to the regular mid with a mid coax, the system was specifically tuned with tweeter component firing at a different angle, so I'm dubiously skeptical that a coax can image correctly. Yes, you will get a high pass filter to separate freqs, but that doesn't mean it will make an improvement. What people hear at highs sometimes is bad, even though they claim that the highs sound more clear. To me, lots of times that means they sound bad with terrible sibiliance. But that's just me. Plus depending on which coax, the imp and power requirements may not match what the limited on board head unit amp can provide, so everything may just not be as good. Maybe at low volumes you may hear some better tonal definition, but pushing, you can only push a smuch as the crappy head unit amp can deliver before you start distoring out.

Again, crapin and out won't matter if you have the best rockin speakers in the world. That's why I regurgitate and just replacing all the speakers on the base system makes some sort of dramatic improvement to justify the cost of upgrading speakers for $400+. If you have decent front end components, yes replacing better speakers will more than likely improve the sound, but replacing better speakers with the base system is just wasting money. It's like buying a pair of Wilson Audio Watt puppies and driving them with an Insignia receiver. But go ahead and buy speakers...I know plenty of people who convince themselves that spending $$$ on new speakers provides dramatic improvements. Sort of like spending $$$$ on a tempurpedic or $10k on speaker wire, people convince themselves because they spent the money. Anyway, just my 2cents given that I've spent tens of thousands on my 2-channel home stereo.

Last edited by imtjm; 06-26-2019 at 08:00 AM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
Today's Posts Search