Features - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)

F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
The 2 Series coupe is the replacement for the E82/E88 1 series coupe. Production starts in November 2013 on the 228i (N20) and M235i (N55) coupes. Look for them in dealerships in February 2014. The convertible F23 2 series will follow in the fall of 2014.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-30-2019, 11:43 AM
indufan indufan is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: East of Indianapolis, Indiana
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 135
Mein Auto:
Features

Let's separate this from the other thread.

Let's be clear, I do not have the nav and that seems to be a factor in features way outside of navigation.

I know they rather play with Apple but I think there is a way to get my texts on the screen but have no clue how to go about it. I have connected both with bluetooth and USB. How do I do it or not possible?

I have a dozen other feature questions but one at a time for now.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 07-30-2019, 01:54 PM
AndDown's Avatar
AndDown AndDown is offline
just copacetic!!!
Location: Redlands CA
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,569
Mein Auto: '16 428i GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by indufan View Post
Let's separate this from the other thread.

Let's be clear, I do not have the nav and that seems to be a factor in features way outside of navigation.

I know they rather play with Apple but I think there is a way to get my texts on the screen but have no clue how to go about it. I have connected both with bluetooth and USB. How do I do it or not possible?

I have a dozen other feature questions but one at a time for now.
See if this YouTube video will help. My screen is not a touch screen and I don't have enhanced BlueTooth either. I'm going to try and see if iPhone's Siri will be able to read me my text message instead...stay tuned.
__________________
Dan
'01 X5 3.0 AlpWhite
'16 428i GC AlpWhite
'19 230i MSpt AlpWhite

Last edited by AndDown; 07-30-2019 at 01:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-30-2019, 02:01 PM
AndDown's Avatar
AndDown AndDown is offline
just copacetic!!!
Location: Redlands CA
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,569
Mein Auto: '16 428i GC
I believe you could also ask Siri to read you the text message from the sender and she will do so, as well as reply to the message. Again, I've not tried to do either.
__________________
Dan
'01 X5 3.0 AlpWhite
'16 428i GC AlpWhite
'19 230i MSpt AlpWhite
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 07-30-2019, 02:13 PM
indufan indufan is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: East of Indianapolis, Indiana
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 135
Mein Auto:
Apparently, I wasn't clear that I am an Android kind of guy.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-30-2019, 02:57 PM
AndDown's Avatar
AndDown AndDown is offline
just copacetic!!!
Location: Redlands CA
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,569
Mein Auto: '16 428i GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by indufan View Post
Apparently, I wasn't clear that I am an Android kind of guy.
Haha, sorry if I missed that, but I think the enhanced bluetooth option is needed which I don't have. I'm going to try having Siri (or Alexa or Google) read my incoming texts and reply if needed.
__________________
Dan
'01 X5 3.0 AlpWhite
'16 428i GC AlpWhite
'19 230i MSpt AlpWhite
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-30-2019, 06:41 PM
indufan indufan is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: East of Indianapolis, Indiana
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 135
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndDown View Post
Haha, sorry if I missed that, but I think the enhanced bluetooth option is needed which I don't have. I'm going to try having Siri (or Alexa or Google) read my incoming texts and reply if needed.
Thanks. I never read anything about enhanced Bluetooth until the last day or two. It was not an individual option offered. It is only part of the Nav, the wireless charging, or the Apple CarPlay? Having said that, some of what I have read indicated that I wouldn't be able to play Amazon music and it is hardly clean but I have been able to get it to that?

If not available without enhanced Bluetooth and I don't have it, what else can't I get? Maybe that will answer some of my other questions.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-04-2019, 01:18 PM
indufan indufan is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: East of Indianapolis, Indiana
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 135
Mein Auto:
OK, next up....is there an option that I don't have to activate the voice controls. That button seems to do absolutely nothing. Is this also an enhanced bluetooth option? And while I am at it, do I have a combox? I looked and I have this red piece of equipment near the battery.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-04-2019, 02:03 PM
Genod Genod is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Just North of Syracuse NY
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 137
Mein Auto: 2020 series 2 230i
indufan I can access my phone and contacts via the voice command. io think my CA set it up so I could do this. Not sure if pairing the phone does it or through bluetooth.

Last edited by Genod; 08-04-2019 at 02:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-04-2019, 03:24 PM
AndDown's Avatar
AndDown AndDown is offline
just copacetic!!!
Location: Redlands CA
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,569
Mein Auto: '16 428i GC
So I was curious as to the difference between BT and enhanced BT and found an older thread showing the differences. Well, based on the descriptions, it appears that what we have now is all enhanced since I can stream music from my iPhone, ask Seri to send a text or even read a text message. I’ve also asked Seri the weather forecast, get directions to an address, etc without any problems. To access Seri, I do a long press on the “speak” button until the iDrive monitor acknowledges or simply say “Hey Seri” to the phone to wake her up. I'm able to switch song artists or playlists by requesting Seri. Just make sure the phone is selected as the BT devise on iDrive.
__________________
Dan
'01 X5 3.0 AlpWhite
'16 428i GC AlpWhite
'19 230i MSpt AlpWhite
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-04-2019, 04:20 PM
Genod Genod is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Just North of Syracuse NY
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 137
Mein Auto: 2020 series 2 230i
I don't think android devices have access to seri. I do know that I can get my itunes playlists to play via bluetooth. but haven't tried to get the voice command button to do it yet.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-04-2019, 04:36 PM
indufan indufan is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: East of Indianapolis, Indiana
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 135
Mein Auto:
I have read everything under the sun on the topic. First off, I don't have an Apple so everything Siri is out. What I can do right now is phone calls and they work great both making and receiving. I can use some limited features of Amazon music. And if I am using the GPS on my phone, it will interrupt the music and give me the voice directions. Honestly, I assume when I am in that mode, anything that the phone puts out in audio will go to the car.

I read in a years old thread that if I have a combox then I can change it relatively cheaply and easily even if I don't have it by default.

I did go back through the online order build. I saw no references to Enhanced Bluetooth on any option or package.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-04-2019, 05:26 PM
AndDown's Avatar
AndDown AndDown is offline
just copacetic!!!
Location: Redlands CA
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,569
Mein Auto: '16 428i GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genod View Post
I don't think android devices have access to seri. I do know that I can get my itunes playlists to play via bluetooth. but haven't tried to get the voice command button to do it yet.
Genod, is your phone an Android or IPhone? I know Indufan's is an Android, so not able to say what can be done there. With the iPhone, any requests made to Seri on the phone can also be done through the speak button on the steering wheel via Bluetooth, just have to do a long press to wake up Seri.
__________________
Dan
'01 X5 3.0 AlpWhite
'16 428i GC AlpWhite
'19 230i MSpt AlpWhite
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-04-2019, 05:37 PM
AndDown's Avatar
AndDown AndDown is offline
just copacetic!!!
Location: Redlands CA
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,569
Mein Auto: '16 428i GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by indufan View Post

I did go back through the online order build. I saw no references to Enhanced Bluetooth on any option or package.
I think BMW made enhanced BT standard with their mid-cycle model refresh, which for the F22 was either model year 2015 or 2016, can't recall without researching.
__________________
Dan
'01 X5 3.0 AlpWhite
'16 428i GC AlpWhite
'19 230i MSpt AlpWhite
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-04-2019, 06:26 PM
indufan indufan is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: East of Indianapolis, Indiana
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 135
Mein Auto:
Well, I made some progress this evening. The button isn't dead. I think it is a combination of me not knowing the newest Android stuff, me not knowing iDrive, and BMW sucking with Android.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-04-2019, 07:08 PM
Genod Genod is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Just North of Syracuse NY
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 137
Mein Auto: 2020 series 2 230i
Yes I have an apple phone. I will try to wake up seri tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-04-2019, 07:30 PM
AndDown's Avatar
AndDown AndDown is offline
just copacetic!!!
Location: Redlands CA
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,569
Mein Auto: '16 428i GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genod View Post
Yes I have an apple phone. I will try to wake up seri tomorrow.
I’m still discovering new things I can do with my phone connected to BT, such as switching songs, artists, or playlists just by asking Seri. I used to access my songs on my phone by using the iDrive knob and scrolling through the music options list but just found out I simply have to request Seri to play a certain artist or album/playlist that’s on my phone bank and she will do so without pressing the “speak button”.
__________________
Dan
'01 X5 3.0 AlpWhite
'16 428i GC AlpWhite
'19 230i MSpt AlpWhite
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-04-2019, 07:39 PM
indufan indufan is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: East of Indianapolis, Indiana
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 135
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndDown View Post
I’m still discovering new things I can do with my phone connected to BT, such as switching songs, artists, or playlists just by asking Seri. I used to access my songs on my phone by using the iDrive knob and scrolling through the music options list but just found out I simply have to request Seri to play a certain artist or album/playlist that’s on my phone bank and she will do so without pressing the “speak button”.
But that is really only because the native microphone on the phone can still hear you right?

I may have to get an appointment with a BMW Genius. I don't know what I have. I don't know what I don't have. I don't know what may not be working as designed. Honestly, I would call the entire thing pitiful at this point.

I made a couple of changes on a third party website that seemed to link to BMW that might me text messages but I am not going to the car for the 4th time tonight.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-04-2019, 07:58 PM
AndDown's Avatar
AndDown AndDown is offline
just copacetic!!!
Location: Redlands CA
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,569
Mein Auto: '16 428i GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by indufan View Post
But that is really only because the native microphone on the phone can still hear you right?

I may have to get an appointment with a BMW Genius. I don't know what I have. I don't know what I don't have. I don't know what may not be working as designed. Honestly, I would call the entire thing pitiful at this point.

I made a couple of changes on a third party website that seemed to link to BMW that might me text messages but I am not going to the car for the 4th time tonight.
...and here I thought you were sleeping in your car, lol, just kidding. Yes, all these requests to Seri seem to go through the car's native microphone, but maybe not? I'll have to hide my phone in the glovebox and see if requests are made through the car's microphone.

Update: ok just tried to request song/artist selection through a long press of the speak button (wait to hear the chime) and then make your request. My phone was connected to BT but hidden in the glove compartment.
__________________
Dan
'01 X5 3.0 AlpWhite
'16 428i GC AlpWhite
'19 230i MSpt AlpWhite

Last edited by AndDown; 08-04-2019 at 08:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-05-2019, 07:10 AM
Genod Genod is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Just North of Syracuse NY
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 137
Mein Auto: 2020 series 2 230i
I went out to the car last night and didn't bring my iphone (I live near the 4th time reference) and used the media screen and started playing songs that were on my phone. I wonder if the car stores songs on an in car storage area? Also if I press the mode button on the steering wheel right side I can switch sat FM AM and press the button below in, I can see on the dashboard what songs are in the presets and get them to play. pitiful is being too kind[/B]. I did press the voice command button but the "voice" told me she couldn't do anything I asked while I was in the car!

Last edited by Genod; 08-05-2019 at 12:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-05-2019, 12:28 PM
indufan indufan is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: East of Indianapolis, Indiana
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 135
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Genius email
Thanks for contacting the BMW Genius Team.

In order to text with an Android device, Wireless Charging must be an option equipped on your 2020 BMW 230i Convertible at the time of vehicle production. Your vehicle was not equipped with Wireless Charging, thus texting with an Android device is not supported. This option is not available for retrofit or modification. We regret any disappointment this may cause.
I can't even begin to tell you how pissed and disappointed I am getting about the technology factor of this car. I haven't replied yet but I will.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 08-05-2019, 12:45 PM
Genod Genod is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Just North of Syracuse NY
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 137
Mein Auto: 2020 series 2 230i
I too asked and the BMW Genius online answered.

"Thanks for contacting the BMW Genius Team.

As of model year 2017, Enhanced Bluetooth with Smartphone Integration was no longer offered for the BMW 2 Series. This option was incorporated in Wireless Charging and the Wi-Fi Hotspot. Your vehicle was not equipped with this option at the time of vehicle production. At this time, the feature is not available for retrofit or modification. We regret any disappointment this may cause. "

Looks like wireless charging was necessary when the build order went through and then would have been added to the build..
It looks like we received the same answer.

Last edited by Genod; 08-05-2019 at 12:49 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-05-2019, 01:25 PM
indufan indufan is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: East of Indianapolis, Indiana
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 135
Mein Auto:
It does look like we have received a consistent answer. I am trying to calm down before replying. My next question will be is there a list of features I don't have because of Android, wireless charging, navigation....et al. I will eventually be contacting customer service instead of Genius. I am a trainer by trade and I know what it is like to field those types of complaints. Of course, I don't really have an end game....other than be pissed and learn to live with it.

Balancing technology problems and lack of features vs. the excellent drive, this is coming down to a net negative right now. I don't like the car at this moment. And I just can't believe I am saying that.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-05-2019, 07:28 PM
Genod Genod is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Just North of Syracuse NY
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 137
Mein Auto: 2020 series 2 230i
Indufan
I feel your pain. But I must share the following as it is what makes this vehicle so special. My wife wanted to go out to eat for dinner. Weather in the 80's I said we will take the BMW but keep the top up as I picked the restaurant up on Lake Ontario a good ride mostly on the interstate and through small towns and villages and I thought she might not want the top down. She objected to the top up so we top downed it up and back. About 75 miles round trip. ( always park with the top up). About 250 miles on the odo and hardly broken in and at mostly 65-70 or so, was surprised to be getting 34 miles a gallon! Anyway to the point. Once on the road the car performs wonderfully like you said - a dream to drive and I keep it in comfort mode most of the time. I forget about the tech goofyness and as my wife said life doesn't get any better than enjoying a great ride on a sunny day like today in a convertible. The 2 makes a nice exhaust note when I step on it.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-05-2019, 07:28 PM
Genod Genod is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Just North of Syracuse NY
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 137
Mein Auto: 2020 series 2 230i
a double post.

Last edited by Genod; 08-05-2019 at 07:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-05-2019, 08:26 PM
indufan indufan is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: East of Indianapolis, Indiana
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 135
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genod View Post
Indufan
I feel your pain. But I must share the following as it is what makes this vehicle so special. My wife wanted to go out to eat for dinner. Weather in the 80's I said we will take the BMW but keep the top up as I picked the restaurant up on Lake Ontario a good ride mostly on the interstate and through small towns and villages and I thought she might not want the top down. She objected to the top up so we top downed it up and back. About 75 miles round trip. ( always park with the top up). About 250 miles on the odo and hardly broken in and at mostly 65-70 or so, was surprised to be getting 34 miles a gallon! Anyway to the point. Once on the road the car performs wonderfully like you said - a dream to drive and I keep it in comfort mode most of the time. I forget about the tech goofyness and as my wife said life doesn't get any better than enjoying a great ride on a sunny day like today in a convertible. The 2 makes a nice exhaust note when I step on it.
All good points. And it will be OK. But I am techier than you and I really wanted a lot of those features.....and who knows what I even have or don't have right now? My Ford Fusion rental car this week has better tech stuff in it.

I also stay in comfort mode most of the time. The sound is great if I have the music low enough to hear it. I think I am about 700 miles already. But it was top-down and radio up all the way to the airport today. I left the top down at the golf course the other day and occasionally in my driveway for short periods if there is like a negative five percent chance of rain.

I was up in Oswego last year.
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.