Features - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)

F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
The 2 Series coupe is the replacement for the E82/E88 1 series coupe. Production starts in November 2013 on the 228i (N20) and M235i (N55) coupes. Look for them in dealerships in February 2014. The convertible F23 2 series will follow in the fall of 2014.

Old 08-05-2019, 08:36 PM
Leave no one behind

Mein Auto: 2015 228i Conv (F23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by indufan View Post
It does look like we have received a consistent answer. I am trying to calm down before replying. My next question will be is there a list of features I don't have because of Android, wireless charging, navigation....et al. I will eventually be contacting customer service instead of Genius. I am a trainer by trade and I know what it is like to field those types of complaints. Of course, I don't really have an end game....other than be pissed and learn to live with it.

Balancing technology problems and lack of features vs. the excellent drive, this is coming down to a net negative right now. I don't like the car at this moment. And I just can't believe I am saying that.
While I love the handling of my 2-Series 'Vert, I too am pissed off at the 'Middle Finger' us Android users receive from BMW. There are options around this, but it's third party verndors and voids warranties so it's a trade-off of convenience at the cost of your warranty.

It kind of makes me wish I still had my old '78 Datsun 280ZX: No frills, just driving pleasure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2019, 02:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2020 series 2 230i
This isn't a good sign. Looks like the 2 series convertible is not long for this earth. We may all be driving rare cars!
Here is the article.
https://bimmerlife.com/2019/08/03/re...tm_name=member
Old 08-06-2019, 02:28 PM
Leave no one behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genod View Post
This isn't a good sign. Looks like the 2 series convertible is not long for this earth. We may all be driving rare cars!
Here is the article.
https://bimmerlife.com/2019/08/03/re...tm_name=member
That's one of the reasons why I'm going to be keeping mine for a long time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2019, 04:42 PM

Mein Auto:
I double-checked the online build today to make sure I didn't miss something. Who would think that wireless charging and wifi does more than that?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	860499  
Old 08-06-2019, 08:05 PM

Sure wasn't explained very well by my CA. Again German vehicle technlogy is behind the times and poorly executed.

Last edited by Genod; 08-06-2019 at 08:07 PM.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:27 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Sure wasn't explained very well by my CA. Again German vehicle technlogy is behind the times and poorly executed.
Nor mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Genius email
I apologize my response was not what you had anticipated. As the Build Your Own is a tool to help visualize potential options, we advise speaking with a Client Advisor at your local BMW center prior to ordering your vehicle. This ensures the vehicle will ultimately meet your needs.

Our BMW engineering and design teams are dedicated to creating vehicles that move today's consumers and their demand for enhanced utility and more versatility. Customer feedback plays an integral role in improving product design and development. We appreciate the time you have taken to share your thoughts.
I am about to reply on this. Clearly "speaking with a Client Advisor" didn't "ensure the vehicle ultimately" met my needs.

Last edited by indufan; 08-07-2019 at 07:22 PM.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:32 AM

I talked with the BMW assist person for my connectdrive subscription to see if there was something I am missing and he said unless I had Nav then there is very little I can do with it except check fuel and range along with current mileage. I asked several other questions stating that if I had known that many other features such as lock and unlock and enhanced bluetooth came with Nav I would have ordered it. He sent me over to the genius and I asked several questions re playing my iphone tunes via bluetooth and he stated that I need to plug in to the usb port to do that. Well when I went to the car scrolled down in media to my iphone I was able to play any of my songs via bluetooth.. The Genius people I know have a lot of series to remember but really once they pull up my vin they should know what is what.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:31 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
I talked with the BMW assist person for my connectdrive subscription to see if there was something I am missing and he said unless I had Nav then there is very little I can do with it except check fuel and range along with current mileage. I asked several other questions stating that if I had known that many other features such as lock and unlock and enhanced bluetooth came with Nav I would have ordered it. He sent me over to the genius and I asked several questions re playing my iphone tunes via bluetooth and he stated that I need to plug in to the usb port to do that. Well when I went to the car scrolled down in media to my iphone I was able to play any of my songs via bluetooth.. The Genius people I know have a lot of series to remember but really once they pull up my vin they should know what is what.
I would have also ordered the Nav had I know the features beyond navigation. I do feel mislead since why would you think any of that had to do with a GPS. In fact, I told the CA I didn't need a Nav, I have a phone that does that. His proper reply would have been "well, you know it does a lot more than navigation" but alas not. PLUS, I know we aren't the first two to complain about this. They have heard it all before and should try and nip it in the bud.

I have been able to pump out Amazon music via Bluetooth but it isn't exactly integrated. It is more like whatever audio is coming out of my phone sends to my speakers and extremely limited control of the application. Actually, just next song and previous song.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:47 AM

I've had occasions to have brake intervention activate and it can be interesting/scary. IE I was turning left and the car coming the other way was turning left. I started to make the left turn but a vehicle behind the oncoming left hand turning car came around the right side of that vehicle on the shoulder and that is when I seemed to lose power and brake intervention began. Needless to say I stepped on the gas and got the brake intervention to turn off but there was a split second that I thought WTF!
Old 08-11-2019, 08:09 AM

I just found the inside trunk release button on the left side footwell just above the hood release lever!
Old 08-11-2019, 01:35 PM
just copacetic!!!

Mein Auto: '16 428i GC
Quote:
I just found the inside trunk release button on the left side footwell just above the hood release lever!
I didn't realize my former 2003 E46 325i had a similar trunk release button on the door panel until just recently before I sold it...and I owned it for 15 years!
'19 230i MSpt AlpWhite
Old 08-12-2019, 07:44 AM

Mein Auto:
And the show goes on. I ask BMW Genius via email what am I not comprehending about ConnectedDrive?

I get a nice email back that list all of the features of ConnectDrive and a link to a video describing them.

I reply and encourage them to check out my VIN and then I am told is does NONE of those things without the Nav.

This is EXACTLY THE PROBLEM and they aren't making it much better as time goes on.
Old 08-16-2019, 06:40 PM
Leave no one behind

Not the proper thread, but I wanted to share this here since there were some 2-Series 'Verts mentioned:

A before/after pic of the vinyl wrap cleaner/restorer product I bought last weekend.

Old 08-16-2019, 07:14 PM

mb67 you have a wrap on your car?
Old 08-16-2019, 07:23 PM
Leave no one behind

Quote:
mb67 you have a wrap on your car?
Yes: it's a 3M Gloss Wicked purple vinyl wrap.
Old 08-16-2019, 09:59 PM

Mein Auto:
I like it. I would have probably bought the car in purple had it been offered.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:21 PM
Leave no one behind

Quote:
I like it. I would have probably bought the car in purple had it been offered.
Agreed, but I was talking with someone who said that if you asked the (right) dealership and pressed the issue, they could have it done. Supposedly the Individual program isn't just for the M cars.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:53 PM

Not sure that this is a feature but just noticed that there is a almost invisible strap on the back side of the sun visor. It could be for a place to put something flat through it like letters or who knows what.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:18 AM

Mein Auto: 328ix sdn; M240ix cpe
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb67 View Post
While I love the handling of my 2-Series 'Vert, I too am pissed off at the 'Middle Finger' us Android users receive from BMW. There are options around this, but it's third party verndors and voids warranties so it's a trade-off of convenience at the cost of your warranty.

It kind of makes me wish I still had my old '78 Datsun 280ZX: No frills, just driving pleasure.
seems to me Android works with BMW, so not sure how BMW is giving anyone the middle finger. FYI, apple carplay isn't necessarily smoothly integrated either.

3rd party vendor options: voids what warranties? First of all, it would only void a BMW part warranty if the after market part caused the BMW part to fail. You can easily add-on Android Auto module which doesn't alter anything on your BMW (e.g. no wire splicing, nothing...just plug and play). Second, if you do a mirroring app, that won't void anything because it doesn't alter any hardware.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:26 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Not sure that this is a feature but just noticed that there is a almost invisible strap on the back side of the sun visor. It could be for a place to put something flat through it like letters or who knows what.
Nice catch. I see it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imtjm View Post
seems to me Android works with BMW, so not sure how BMW is giving anyone the middle finger. FYI, apple carplay isn't necessarily smoothly integrated either.

3rd party vendor options: voids what warranties? First of all, it would only void a BMW part warranty if the after market part caused the BMW part to fail. You can easily add-on Android Auto module which doesn't alter anything on your BMW (e.g. no wire splicing, nothing...just plug and play). Second, if you do a mirroring app, that won't void anything because it doesn't alter any hardware.
Well, like my friend got in the car yesterday with her iPhone and her Amazon Music app picked up right away and mine come up at all? And from what I have read there is app after app after app just like that.

I am pretty sure any of the mirroring app stuff won't work with my head unit.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:55 PM
Leave no one behind

Quote:

I'm talking about Android Auto, which is Androids version of Apple Car Play. BMW will not incorporate it into their iDrive.
Old 08-19-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb67 View Post
I'm talking about Android Auto, which is Androids version of Apple Car Play. BMW will not incorporate it into their iDrive.
yes, i understand it to be android auto. As I said, folks sell plug and play android auto module.
Old 08-19-2019, 02:44 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
yes, i understand it to be android auto. As I said, folks sell plug and play android auto module.
Will it plug and play into my non-Nav head unit?
Old 08-20-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Will it plug and play into my non-Nav head unit?
hah!! depends. it should, but try searching android auto mmi plus, enter your vehicle vin to see if compatible.
Old 08-21-2019, 01:17 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
hah!! depends. it should, but try searching android auto mmi plus, enter your vehicle vin to see if compatible.
The one main place I saw to check that, I did and it said no, my vehicle is not compatible.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
Today's Posts Search