e53 4.4 4x4 inactive only driver side wheel spin - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 08-10-2019, 08:03 AM

Mein Auto:
e53 4.4 4x4 inactive only driver side wheel spin

I have an 2004 X5 sport 190k with ZF trans that has been sitting for a while. Over the winter the vehicle was acting up during a snow storm and started to jerk like the trans was slipping. I eventually lost drive-ability to my e53 and had to be towed.

Looking under the vehicle while in drive, I noticed the rear drive shaft was spinning up to the rear diff but the vehicle was not moving. I decided to jack up the x5 and try to unbolt the rear driveshaft. After getting half the bolts out I realized the rear tires were spinning when I rotated the drive shaft. Bolts were put back and the vehicle was dropped. Started up and popped in drive and now the vehicle drives but I have the 4x4 inactive along with the other lights.

I checked the awd actuator gear which looked IMO fine no noticeable grooves or wear marks.

I jacked the vehicle back up on 4 stands to check if my AWD was working. While in drive, only the driver front and driver rear tire engage and rotate.

I am unfamiliar with BMW awd systems. Any one with some insight would be appreciated.

I have INPA havent figured out how to use it as it seems to be in German

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search