Don't Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 08-20-2019, 07:44 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 2007 x3
Don't Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet

I wanted to replace my outer CV boots on my 2003 X5. Needed to buy a socket for the hub nut. Saw on several videos that the nut is 36mm. Got my 36mm socket off ebay a 6 point one & it was too small. So, then I read that the front is a 46mm & the rear is 36mm for the rear! So I ordered another socket that is 46 mm. Now it is too big! Then I read that a 1 13/16" socket will work. Well this socket was also to big! Latter I read that a 1 7/16 socket is the socket is what I need. It's too small. Well, what socket that worked for me is a 1 5/8" socket, which is more like a 40mm socket.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2019, 04:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 530i, 05 X5 3.0, 04
I also ran into this recently where my 36mm socket was too small to loosen the cv axle nut. I measured it with a caliper gauge at 41mm which I did not have. I had a torn drivers side outer boot that I ended up having to replace by separating the cv joint at the inner boot. I used the GKN boot replacement kit and I had nothing but problems securing the new boots to the shaft due to the fact that the shaft between the actual joints was too large get the clamp on the boot and the inner boot fit very loose around the housing for the inner joint. I do not know if this was a replacement shaft installed prior to my ownership but the boot replacement job failed miserably. I purchased a 41mm socket removed and replaced the shaft with a GKN from FCP. It was an oddity I thought only I was lucky enough to encounter.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:26 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
I believe that ALL fastener sizes are listed with their materials and torques in www.NewTIS.info. What may not be so listed is the wrench type - flank drive, flat drive, inner or outer etc.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2019, 09:21 AM

Mein Auto: X5
"Don't Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet".... wait, then we couldn't use this forum!!!

My toolbox has tripled because of this LOL

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search