2003 X5: A/C not blowing cold air - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 05-10-2014, 05:11 AM

Mein Auto: Sunny San Diego
This is a great thread, except it's not complete. I too am in the exact same boat. My compressor clutch isn't kicking on. I get warm air inside. My AC guy said the system is full with no leaks, he just didn't work on electrical so he stopped. My Aux fan does work as after my drive from work (30 miles), the aux fan was turning.

My AC just stopped working last weekend as I was accelerating on the freeway on ramp. It literally just stopped blowing cold air.

Where can I short it to start the compressor clutch and where is this relay? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Leo
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2014, 10:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW, Lotus, Porsche
You can command the compressor to turn on if you have the correct soft ware. I use BMW SCANNER 1.4 for this. Shorting the circuit to engage the compressor is risky since you can ruin the DME.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:25 AM
Northern Cali Beemer Love

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW X5 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by upallnight View Post
You can command the compressor to turn on if you have the correct soft ware. I use BMW SCANNER 1.4 for this. Shorting the circuit to engage the compressor is risky since you can ruin the DME.
How can I do this?

Just run the diagnostic, or what?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2014, 04:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X5 3.0i
Interesting problem

Hey Guys,
This is great info...I have an interesting problem. I had to change out the autodisplay a while back. The control button got stuck on Max AC so it was blowing non-stop. After I swapped out the display, everything blows great. But, now when I engaged the snowflake, it doesn't engage the condenser or anything, just lightens the amount of air that will blow out...
Old 10-11-2015, 05:28 PM

Mein Auto: x5 3.0d
E53 same issues

Same wtih my 2006 E53 3.0d. Will check out all the suggestions. Thanks a lot. Will let you knwo what happens.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:32 AM

Mein Auto:
Just curious - New to the bmw world... Should you be able to hear / feel your a.c. compressor kick in as soon as you hit the snow flake on a manual climate control model? In all my previous non bmws I could always hear it cut in and often feel the load hit the engine at idle. I can't hear this on my 2005 x3. Wondering if it is just a quality thing or if my compressor really isn't engaging...
Old 11-23-2015, 09:39 AM

Mein Auto: x5 3.0d
It's Working

After several persons looked at it, finally it was diagnosed that that problem was the compressor and drier. Had to replace both about two weeks ago. Expensive fix because the evaporator and drier were two different parts for the X5d, but problem solved. Cold air once more.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:34 PM

Mein Auto:
2003 BMW X5 3.0i A/C blows warm when idling

History: My compressor locked up summer 2016. I purchased a new compressor and took my X5 to the shop to have the system sucked down. I put the new compressor on and had the system charged.
Last Summer 2017 my unit started acting funny. When I am idling like at a stop sign or stop light, it starts blowing warm but when I am in motion, it blows as cool as can be. Ive checked out all that I can, such as the Auxiliary Fan and the charge on the system which is full.
Currently 2018, I'm looking into this again as the temperatures are rising the closer we get to summer. It's same thing, blows cold as heck as when I'm moving but warm when at idle. I've thought maybe it is the expansion valve but that doesn't make sense when it works fine when I'm moving.
Has anyone experienced this issue? If anyone has any idea what the problem could be, I would be most appreciative to hear your opinions.

Last edited by mrucker71; 05-22-2018 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 e70 35d
mrucker71 - the classical explanation for AC working while driving but not when stopped is a nonfunctioning condenser fan (on my son's 2005 3.0 X5 the condenser fan is located forward of the radiator). When traveling at high speed the condenser fan's function is largely replaced by the outside air hitting the condenser at 60+ mph. But when stopped there is no air cooling the condenser, and hence AC doesn't work properly. I know you said you checked out the Auxiliary fan (I assume this is the same as what I'm calling the condenser fan) - not sure if the fan can get flaky and only work intermittently?
Old 06-28-2019, 03:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 X5
Hopefully this forum isn't dead... haha

So I just swapped my compressor and evap vale and got the system charge last week. I did not do the drier, mainly due to not being able to find out where the he'll it is through coutless searching. So I took a gamble and replaced 2/3.

Any way, system charged and I'm getting "cool" air again but I don't think it's near as cool as it should be. I took the gauge from one of the refill kits to the low side and it's reading in the yellow, with the needle fluctuating back and forth when compressor cycles. I don't fully trust the shop I got it refilled at and think either they didn't purge the system, added to much, or both.

Both fans are running, compressor engaging, no noticable leaks, and it is cooler than it was but just not enough.

What do you all think I should do?

~Evacuate a little to lower pressure first?
~Purge entire system and change drier and do the refill my self or trusted shop?
~"Insert solution your here."

Also please post a detailed description, picture or vid of where the F__k the drier is, even if i dont change the bastard I want to know.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 08-11-2019, 12:35 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
It's probably the same on the X5, but if you have no air flow or the air is pulsing replace your FSR with a Behr unit. You can use my vid to give you a guide

Idk if you're blind or maybe you can't read..actually maybe you just don't know anything about cars. The blower resistor does not have anything to do with temperatures. Don't just say stuff to seem relevant because u look illiterate. .if you can u you would see that somebody already said this.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search