X5 E53 Help! - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 09-06-2014, 09:56 AM

Mein Auto: E53
X5 E53 Help!

Hi im a proud new owner of a 2004 X5, best car I've ever driven.
The trouble is when I bought it one of the keys was not working, I thought no biggy a minor inconvience but I'll just use it manually. When I tried that I found the alarm started going off which made me look like I was trying to nick it! Lucky the mrs was not far with her working key fob to disarm it.
So I tried to charge the dead key in the cylinder by driving around with it and then proceeded to use a guide to re-programming it. The method I used was turn the key once in ignition then back off and remove, press and hold the unlock button and press the lock button 3 times releasing both buttons simultaneously on the final press. The locks should then cycle - I tried the whole procedure about 20 times slightly differing the timing each time in case it was my method. No luck, and I was using the working fob as the 1st key to re-program as I know it should be transmitting a signal, versus the possibly still dead fob I had been trying to charge.

Can anyone enlighten me on what this problem might be, or similar problems and any advice on resolving this? I hear direct BMW key replacement is quite steep...
Thank you
X5alive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2014, 10:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 4.4/2013 650ix GC
Does the key start the vehicle? If it does, you should be able to deactivate the alarm by inserting the key into the ignition and turning to at least position 2. The remote keys contain 3 features ... EWS, FZV, and DWA (immobilizer, remote central locking, anti theft alarm siren systems). These 3 systems are independent of each other but do communicate or work in tandem. EWS will send a signal to the GM when the EWS individual serial number is recognized...thus will instruct DWA to turn off the alarm because the FZV key used to open the vehicle gas been authenticated.

If the key starts the engine, then your issues are FZV and or DWA related...which are the features that require the battery inside the key. EWS is self powering...using induction...thus the car can be started regardless of the key's battery.

It takes up to 30 hours to fully charge a fully discharged key battery. So driving around town to recharge a dead key may take awhile. If you have a battery charger...try hooking up to the jump start posts in the engine bay...the leave the dead key in the ignition (position 1) over night. The battery charger will prevent the car battery from discharging and the key will get a nice long recharge itself.

Or, if you have an electric toothbrush that uses an induction charger...stick the key on or near the induction charger for a day to see if that brings back the key's battery.

There's also the possibility that the key battery is either totally dead or the key has some internal damage from being dropped/tossed/thrown.
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 2013 F06 650ix Gran Coupe` (Black Sapphire) 1/13 mfg date
(SOLD)
97 740iL (Arctic Silver) <<~>> 99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=637911&d=1538398374&thumb=1&stc=1

Last edited by QSilver7; 09-06-2014 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSilver7 View Post
Does the key start the vehicle? If it does, you should be able to deactivate the alarm by inserting the key into the ignition and turning to at least position 2. The remote keys contain 3 features ... EWS, FZV, and DWA (immobilizer, remote central locking, anti theft alarm siren systems). These 3 systems are independent of each other but do communicate or work in tandem. EWS will send a signal to the GM when the EWS individual serial number is recognized...thus will instruct DWA to turn off the alarm because the FZV key used to open the vehicle gas been authenticated.

If the key starts the engine, then your issues are FZV and or DWA related...which are the features that require the battery inside the key. EWS is self powering...using induction...thus the car can be started regardless of the key's battery.

It takes up to 30 hours to fully charge a fully discharged key battery. So driving around town to recharge a dead key may take awhile. If you have a battery charger...try hooking up to the jump start posts in the engine bay...the leave the dead key in the ignition (position 1) over night. The battery charger will prevent the car battery from discharging and the key will get a nice long recharge itself.

Or, if you have an electric toothbrush that uses an induction charger...stick the key on or near the induction charger for a day to see if that brings back the key's battery.

There's also the possibility that the key battery is either totally dead or the key has some internal damage from being dropped/tossed/thrown.

Thanks for a detailed response. What's is 'GM'? Seeing as it could take so long to charge I will attempt to charge the battery in a induction toothbrush charger I have.

Although regardless of this if I do happen it recharge the battery will it not need re-syncing with the car via re programming? If so then I will still have the same problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5alive- View Post
Thanks for a detailed response. What's is 'GM'? Seeing as it could take so long to charge I will attempt to charge the battery in a induction toothbrush charger I have.

Although regardless of this if I do happen it recharge the battery will it not need re-syncing with the car via re programming? If so then I will still have the same problem?
The GM III (general module) is the control module for FZV (central locking) & DWA (anti-theft alarm siren system) as well as some other functions like the seats, sunroof, & steering wheel.

Yes, you will need to try re-syncing BOTH remotes after giving the "dead" key a good recharge. If it still doesn't work after a good 30 hour charge...then either the battery is toast (in the key) or there's another internal issue with the non-working key.

Topology Chart of the Communication Bus

2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 2013 F06 650ix Gran Coupe` (Black Sapphire) 1/13 mfg date
(SOLD)
97 740iL (Arctic Silver) <<~>> 99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=637911&d=1538398374&thumb=1&stc=1
Old 09-07-2014, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSilver7 View Post
The GM III (general module) is the control module for FZV (central locking) & DWA (anti-theft alarm siren system) as well as some other functions like the seats, sunroof, & steering wheel.

Yes, you will need to try re-syncing BOTH remotes after giving the "dead" key a good recharge. If it still doesn't work after a good 30 hour charge...then either the battery is toast (in the key) or there's another internal issue with the non-working key.

Topology Chart of the Communication Bus

Hi thanks the diagram speaks a thousand words, the issue though which I may of not highlighted well enough seems to be the re-sync procedure.
When i attempted it prior I used the working key first and could not get the locks to cycle to confirm the re-programming, regardless of the 2nd key being dead the working key should re-program?
Therefore even if I happen to recharge the other key I won't be able to re-program it?
Can you advice on another method for re-programming? Is it possible there's a fault there?

Thanks
Old 08-19-2019, 08:39 PM

Mein Auto:
How do you install a ignition lock cylinder on the 06 x5 4.4
Old 08-20-2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rass View Post
How do you install a ignition lock cylinder on the 06 x5 4.4
Try this site: www.newtis.info

Type in the last 7 digits of your VIN, then type "replace steering lock cylinder" in the search box...you may have to scan through a few...but the instructions are sure to be on that site.

Good luck.
(SOLD)

Last edited by QSilver7; 08-20-2019 at 06:57 AM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search