Flashing ECU's with E-sys [GUIDE] - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming

BMW Coding and Programming
Discuss coding options and features on your BMW here.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F11 520d
Post Flashing ECU's with E-sys [GUIDE]

Hi

I've created a noobs guide on how to flash your ECU's in an F11. (As I myself am a noob )
I'm looking to flash my HU_CIC very soon (just need an external power supply). So i've created this guide from information I could gather on this forum. A warm thanks to everybody in this forum, especially shawnsheridan.

If you want to contribute, please let me know! I'll be happy to add valuable content!

Content attached!

Update 20141129: Removed changing zeitkriterium. Thank you ap90500!! Now version 1.0.1 attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Upgrading ECU on BMW v.1.0.1.pdf (740.9 KB, 18213 views)

Last edited by zkiifreak; 11-29-2014 at 04:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2014, 10:57 AM

Mein Auto: F30 320d xDrive -14
There is a major mistake in the guide. Never ever change zeitkriterium if you are flashing factory fitted modules.

No need to click read vin button, vin comes from the FA.

On new cars (7/2014 F30) the ignition will not stay on even if you turn light switch. After 15 minutes or so ignition will turn off. This is not a problem though, just remember to cycle ignition before svt soll calculation and before starting TAL processing (actual flash). Ignition will stay on as long as the TAL is running.

ibadeploy is needed only if you are flashing a headunit that has IBA (electronic user manual). It doesn't do any damage if it is selected without a reason though.

Terminology. Flashing = programming = updating software. Coding = changing parameters via fdl- or vo-coding.

It is not necessary to flash ZGW separately, e-sys will flash it first.

Connection via gateway doesn't guarantee that the ZGW can be flashed with E-sys. If it fails, you must just vo-code any module and the car will wake up. I think that someone wrote something about dhcp-server needed to flash zgw with enet, but on the other hand some people have flashed it without dhcp and without problems. I was not able to flash ZGW on 2011 F11, with icom no problem.

Last edited by ap90500; 11-28-2014 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:29 AM
Token Master

Mein Auto: Coded F30
Changing zeitkriterium and VO coding ECUs like FEM or ICM would cause havoc due to different hardware used between build dates
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2014, 11:31 AM

Worst cases I have seen: Wrong zeitkriterium, calculate svt soll, hwid from svt actual, start flash. This creates very nice mess.
Old 11-29-2014, 04:48 AM

Mein Auto: F11 520d
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap90500 View Post
There is a major mistake in the guide. Never ever change zeitkriterium if you are flashing factory fitted modules.
OK - thanks. Corrected by removing from guide.
Quote:
No need to click read vin button, vin comes from the FA.
Yeah, I assumed that, but it works, so I'll leave it be. But thanks
Quote:
On new cars (7/2014 F30) the ignition will not stay on even if you turn light switch. After 15 minutes or so ignition will turn off. This is not a problem though, just remember to cycle ignition before svt soll calculation and before starting TAL processing (actual flash). Ignition will stay on as long as the TAL is running.
OK. I'll add this in an appendix.

Quote:
ibadeploy is needed only if you are flashing a headunit that has IBA (electronic user manual). It doesn't do any damage if it is selected without a reason though.
Thanks - again, will add appendix. But it's just easier to write it this way.
Quote:
Terminology. Flashing = programming = updating software. Coding = changing parameters via fdl- or vo-coding.
You are referring to the Troubleshooting part?
Quote:
It is not necessary to flash ZGW separately, e-sys will flash it first.
As stated
Quote:
Connection via gateway doesn't guarantee that the ZGW can be flashed with E-sys. If it fails, you must just vo-code any module and the car will wake up. I think that someone wrote something about dhcp-server needed to flash zgw with enet, but on the other hand some people have flashed it without dhcp and without problems. I was not able to flash ZGW on 2011 F11, with icom no problem.
Is it possible for you to find this post?

Again: thank you very much for the input. It's very much appreciated! The idea here is to make it easier for beginners to take on this kind job and be succesfull!
Old 11-29-2014, 09:46 AM

Yes, I meant the troubleshooting part. It should say "if flashing (or programming) ACSM, ....". You will not need to lock ACSM if you are just coding it.

Posted on bmwcoding dot com:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinzer995 View Post
for flashing ZGW you need an ICOM interface.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhreakShow View Post
Not in general. I flashed at least four ZGW over ethernet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
Same here, and also used ENET for FEM_GW Flash.
Quote:
How about F1x ZGW?
Quote:
Yes, I have Flashed F1x ZGW with ENET too.
Quote:
Did you unselect switch gateway to programming & coding or did you just use normal settings? And you connected through gateway?
Quote:
Normal settings. Connect via VIN.
Quote:
Ok. On my previous car (9/2011 F11), this failed and I had to use ICOM. Do you use static ip on your ethernet adapter?
Quote:
No. It was set for DHCP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2real4u View Post
Use DHCP server on the network or on your laptop. Connect using the gateway URL to the IP handed out by DHCP.
I have not tested it but very likely it works. Tftpd64 is a free software that has DHCP functionality.

Thanks for you too, flashing procedure has been known for a long time but no one (including me) has not had time or will to do this kind of guide.

Last edited by ap90500; 11-29-2014 at 09:47 AM.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 E90 CLI
very helpful discussion. A nice document. Thanks so much to you guys***65281;
Old 08-20-2015, 02:43 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw 535 xd F11
Thanks

Sent from my iPad Mini using tapatalk
Old 02-25-2016, 11:29 AM

Mein Auto: bmw
I'm thinking about flashing ECUs on my F10. I have 2 questions: 1) instead of an external battery, can I just keep the engine running? 2) are there any benefits to upgrading the ECUs?
Old 02-25-2016, 11:32 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2016 650i GC M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by wild_a View Post
I'm thinking about flashing ECUs on my F10. I have 2 questions: 1) instead of an external battery, can I just keep the engine running? 2) are there any benefits to upgrading the ECUs?
No you cannot run the motor. Flash TAL will put car in Transport Mode and shut down the Engine automatically.

Benefit depends solely on the current ECU firmware versus the new ECU firmware if it contains anything beneficial.

2016 650i GC M-Sport w/ 20" 373M Wheels; Alpine White; Individual Opal White Full Merino Leather; Gray Poplar Wood Trim
Anthracite Alcantara Headliner; Ceramic Controls; Executive Package w/ B&O Sound System; Integral Active Steering, etc.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
No you cannot run the motor. Flash TAL will put car in Transport Mode and shut down the Engine automatically.

Benefit depends solely on the current ECU firmware versus the new ECU firmware if it contains anything beneficial.
Thanks Shawn. What charger would you recommend?
Old 02-25-2016, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Thanks Shawn. What charger would you recommend?
Schumacher INC-700A 4/20/70 Amp Automatic Charger

http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-INC.../dp/B002Z2Z7ZY

2016 650i GC M-Sport w/ 20" 373M Wheels; Alpine White; Individual Opal White Full Merino Leather; Gray Poplar Wood Trim
Anthracite Alcantara Headliner; Ceramic Controls; Executive Package w/ B&O Sound System; Integral Active Steering, etc.
Old 02-25-2016, 06:01 PM

Mein Auto: 520d
just asking out of curiosity, if the DDE already have done a remapping for more power, does whole car firmware upgrade affect the performance mapping?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Old 02-25-2016, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Schumacher INC-700A 4/20/70 Amp Automatic Charger

http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-INC.../dp/B002Z2Z7ZY
That's quite expensive. Would this one work for the job? http://www.amazon.com/BMW-advanced-b.../dp/B00N55PDUY
Old 02-25-2016, 07:21 PM

Quote:
That's quite expensive. Would this one work for the job? http://www.amazon.com/BMW-advanced-b.../dp/B00N55PDUY
No, that is only 1.25 Amps. You need to have about 50 Amps minimum.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:13 PM

Quote:
No, that is only 1.25 Amps. You need to have about 50 Amps minimum.
How about this one? It's a Schumacher, and has 50 amps. I have no idea about these things, so if you can tell me why the $500 one is better than this $50 one, I'd be thankful.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:22 PM

Quote:
How about this one? It's a Schumacher, and has 50 amps. I have no idea about these things, so if you can tell me why the $500 one is better than this $50 one, I'd be thankful.
I think that is only a 50 Amps Peak for Starting, and is either 2 or 10 Amp Continuous. The Schumacher INC-700A is 50 Amps continuous.

If you want, you can jump your car to another car with motor running, and avoid using a charger at all.

Last edited by shawnsheridan; 02-25-2016 at 08:33 PM.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:35 AM

Mein Auto: 535d (F11)
Hi together,

I just wanted to flash the newest ECU Firmware for HU_CIC and CMB_Media and for that installed the latest E-Sys and psdzdata. I connected to the car successfully and coding works find (just tried it as I did that before to verify everything is working.
And to answer the question before it is asked: Why do I want to update the ECUs?!?
I have a lot of problems with my CIC, sometimes the navigation doesnt work, once a day it restarts when I try to use Spotify using the App in the car,...
I have borrowed a big supply charger from a friend of mine, so everything is prepared, BUT...

Now I have two problems/questions:
1.) My E-Sys states in the bottom status field that "Hardware differs" (Hardware unterscheidet sich)... WTF?!? I have never seen this before, any hint what this might be?
2.) I finished all the described steps and tried to flash the ZGW only first. But when I press started I get a message (translated from germany as good as I can! ):
A VCM-update after the TAL-Processing without correct VO is not possible. If the ECM should be updated after TAL-Processing you will have to diable VCM-updating or use a direct connection to ECU.
The message will allways pop up, doesnt matter which ECU I choose or which connection type I use (Gateway vs. VIN).

Any idea what this might be? Related to 1.? ;-)

Cheers, Philipp
Old 07-15-2016, 04:40 AM

Okay, finally got it working, I had to choose the VIN from the VO and not read it for any reason, now flashing works fine... ;-)
Anyway if there is a hint for my first question I would sleep better! :-)
Old 07-15-2016, 05:14 AM

Hmmm, once again I am facing a problem... I flashed ZGW and for testing TRSVC successfully but CMB_MEDIA or KOMBI fail with an error message
"for the ECU "KOMBI", "60" in TAL the SGBMIN "CAFD_000000069_009_001_006" is included but not in SVT. Same type of message comes for CMB_MEDIA with different CAFD numer of cause...
And it seems that for HU_CIC there is now new version available. So what do you think, is it worth working on it or doesn't it have any influence for my Spotify and navigation problems without update for CIC? :-(
Old 08-21-2016, 12:19 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E90 325
Hi, i just bought a used ZGW 02 high and try to change it vin to my car vin using bench programming, is it possible ?
Can anyone help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-21-2016, 11:00 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 330d
Guys,

Is it possible to downgrade (ECUs)? I updated car to newest iLevel, but there is some bug in HU_CHAMP module after update. I would like to downgrade HU_CHAMP to older firmware. Is it safe and possible? Can I flash just HU_CHAMP nothing else? Thanks.
Old 09-22-2016, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pweber84 View Post
Guys,

Is it possible to downgrade (ECUs)? I updated car to newest iLevel, but there is some bug in HU_CHAMP module after update. I would like to downgrade HU_CHAMP to older firmware. Is it safe and possible? Can I flash just HU_CHAMP nothing else? Thanks.
Yes. Just flash using older version of PSdZData Full.

Old 09-22-2016, 04:34 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 330d
Thanks Shwan.

Actually problem solved, after the night HU came back to live and CID works fine. I have no idea why it happened.
Old 12-18-2016, 03:29 AM

Mein Auto: BMW F10 525d 2010
Hi All!

Thanks zkiifreak for great manual, I tried to flash ZGW yesterday and it was not as straight forward as I expected
Details are on another thread, but I'd like to ask few questions here as it may be also usefull for other users.

I have some questions:
  1. Should I use Esys Launcher for flashing ECU? For me it was only way to flash ZGW with launcher ...
  2. What Esys options should be set for ECU flashing? Are they same as for Coding? Should I set Update VCM after TAL execution and Update MSM after TAL execution?
  3. What can cause warnings " VCM-Update is deactivated"? Can it be that Esys/pszdata is too new version for my car?
  4. What could cause warning Could not read ComParam 'MODE_CHANGE_PARAMETER'?

Code:
TAL execution started.
VCM Update: VCM-Update is deactivated. VCM will not be updated. C197
TEL - 36 Could not read ComParam 'MODE_CHANGE_PARAMETER'. Maybe the template is too old.
TEL - 36 - Exception Code=49184, CodeDescription='Object with name not found', Severity=2051, VendorCode=3, VendorCodeDescription='provided name MODE_CHANGE_PARAMETER doesn't map to an item'
MULF - 55 Could not read ComParam 'MODE_CHANGE_PARAMETER'. Maybe the template is too old.
MULF - 55 - Exception Code=49184, CodeDescription='Object with name not found', Severity=2051, VendorCode=3, VendorCodeDescription='provided name MODE_CHANGE_PARAMETER doesn't map to an item'
ExecutionID=2016/12/18-10:39:17.269
MSM warnings:
Code:
MSM update: Read current SVT. C194
MSM update started. C215
MCDDiagServiceid=378649, job=com.bmw.psdz.jobs.uds.MCD3_ReadF11DataFromMSM, service=RC_GET_PARAMETER_N11 - RoutineControll GetParameter N11, description=error: negative response : requestOutOfRange, link=MSM_ETHERNET
MCDDiagServiceid=398649, job=com.bmw.psdz.jobs.common.MCD3_ReadF11DataFromCsmClients, service=RC_GET_PARAM_N11_CSM - RoutineControll GetParameter N11 CSM, description=error: negative response : requestOutOfRange, link=HU_CIC_63_ETHERNET
MCDDiagServiceid=398649, job=com.bmw.psdz.jobs.common.MCD3_ReadF11DataFromCsmClients, service=RC_GET_PARAM_N11_CSM - RoutineControll GetParameter N11 CSM, description=error: negative response : requestOutOfRange, link=ZBE_67_ETHERNET
MCDDiagServiceid=378649, job=com.bmw.psdz.jobs.uds.MCD3_ReadF11DataFromMSM, service=RC_GET_PARAMETER_N11 - RoutineControll GetParameter N11, description=error: negative response : requestOutOfRange, link=MSM_ETHERNET
MCDDiagServiceid=398649, job=com.bmw.psdz.jobs.common.MCD3_ReadF11DataFromCsmClients, service=RC_GET_PARAM_N11_CSM - RoutineControll GetParameter N11 CSM, description=error: negative response : requestOutOfRange, link=HU_CIC_63_ETHERNET
MCDDiagServiceid=398649, job=com.bmw.psdz.jobs.common.MCD3_ReadF11DataFromCsmClients, service=RC_GET_PARAM_N11_CSM - RoutineControll GetParameter N11 CSM, description=error: negative response : requestOutOfRange, link=ZBE_67_ETHERNET
MSM update finished. C216

Last edited by egisz; 12-18-2016 at 03:45 AM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming
Today's Posts Search