All BMWs Beginner's Guide to BMW ISTA+ - Page 4 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming

BMW Coding and Programming
Discuss coding options and features on your BMW here.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 E84 x28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by drastic25 View Post
quick stupid question, i have ista+ on my computer connected to my 2014 f02 trying to program my driver led xenon headlight it say encode in ista+, i can get it the headlight learn and stay on using ista+ but when i shut off the car it don't stay on. Do i need to recode or re vin it, if so how is it done using ista+...btw it a mint used headlight i know it work because when i run the learning process on ista+ everything work led, halo's, blinker and low high beam.
You need 2 things for ISTA+ to program and encode your car:
1. Service Data
2. ICOM

ISTA+ won't program without an ICOM. You're better off with ESYS for coding and get the car learning in ISTA+.

Sent from Bimmerfest App
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2017, 03:45 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5M50d, Jaguar XK
All installed, but problem when connecting to my dad's E83 LCI via K+DCAN USB-Serial interface.

This is the cable

Quote:
NET-0014 Host not found
Idea?

Later Edit

Quote:
Edit the EDIABAS.ini in ~\Rheingold\Ediabas\BIN folder and change INTERFACE to STD:OBD and try again. It has to match what you have in C:\EDIABAS. There is no port configuration needed for K+DCAN, not sure what ports you changed.
Did that, now vehicle cannot be identified.

Do I need PSDZData for E83 LCI?

Prod date: 2007-11-05
X3 30SD (286 HP), facelift

How can I check if the cable is good? I've use it on the same car a few years ago, for coding and worked.
my cable is this

I use the latest driver for Win 10 X64.

For diagnosis I must use the black adapter?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	592962   Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2017-03-31 at 14.09.22 (1).jpeg
Views:	189
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	592963   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	592964  

Last edited by Mentat; 03-31-2017 at 07:25 AM.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
All installed, but problem when connecting to my dad's E83 LCI via K+DCAN USB-Serial interface.

This is the cable

Idea?

Later Edit

Did that, now vehicle cannot be identified.

Do I need PSDZData for E83 LCI?

Prod date: 2007-11-05
X3 30SD (286 HP), facelift

How can I check if the cable is good? I've use it on the same car a few years ago, for coding and worked.
my cable is this

I use the latest driver for Win 10 X64.

For diagnosis I must use the black adapter?
The adapter is for pre-2/2007 cars to bridge pins. You don't need to use it.
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2017, 07:41 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5M50d, Jaguar XK
Without the black adapter, INPA seems to connect, but nothing works inside INPA - communication failure

Last edited by Mentat; 03-31-2017 at 07:46 AM.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:06 AM

Mein Auto: F11 2.0d
Help Required on ISTA Connection Problem

I've installed ISTA+ sucessfully on two different laptops one is on a 32bit Windows 7 and the other is a newer 64bit Windows 10 laptop.

I'm using a ENET cable for both vehicles

Both laptops connect to my 2014 BMW F11 520d but when I tried to connect to my wife's 2012 R56 Mini Cooper d there's no connection, I know the socket in the mini is good because I can connect sucessfully a Foxwell NT510 scanner.

Any suggestions most appreciated.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: Test Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilburner26 View Post
I've installed ISTA+ sucessfully on two different laptops one is on a 32bit Windows 7 and the other is a newer 64bit Windows 10 laptop.

Both laptops connect to my 2014 BMW F11 520d but when I tried to connect to my wife's 2012 R56 Mini Cooper d there's no connection, I know the socket in the mini is good because I can connect sucessfully a Foxwell NT510 scanner.

ENET if for F054/F055/F056/F057/F060 mini.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
ENET if for F054/F055/F056/F057/F060 mini.
Thanks Almaretto for a quick reply I assumed because it connects to the F11 it would connect to our R56.

What cable should I use on the R56.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: Test Vehicles
Quote:
Thanks Almaretto for a quick reply I assumed because it connects to the F11 it would connect to our R56.

What cable should I use on the R56.
ENET is for Fxx-/Ixx-/Gxx-series, Mini (those referenced above), & Rolls-Royce.

R056 uses K+DCAN, I believe, like E-series. Or ICOM.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:

Oops...didn't see there was another page! Almaretto answered it. You need a K+DCAN cable.

Sent from Bimmerfest App

Last edited by Reclaimer; 04-05-2017 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:36 PM

Thanks Reclaimer for your help do I need a switched version or is that only for older vehicles.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:40 PM

Thanks Almaretto sorry did not see your reply.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Thanks Reclaimer for your help do I need a switched version or is that only for older vehicles.
Switched version is for pre 2/2007 vehicles (pins bridged).
Old 04-05-2017, 02:12 PM

Mein Auto: F01 740d M Sport
Hi all,

I'm new to the 7 series as previously had the 530d E60 so used to use NCS expert and DIS for my diagnosis. But, as i now have an F01 740d M Sport I'm looking for a copy of INSTA-D for reading codes etc as would be using ESYS for any coding etc...Would it be possible for a link to download this please?

I will be using an ENET cable to connect to the car.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-05-2017, 03:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 F32
Hey guys,

I have an ENET cable and installed latest version of ISTA-D on virtual machine running windows 7 64bit, host is running windows 10 64bit. I followed these instructions here: http://blog.obdtool.co.uk/how-to-set...-for-f-series/ however still having an issue. ISTA-D works fine, as well as ista-p. I cannot seem to connect the car to pc, it simply is not identified, connection doesn't appear in ISTA-D or in network adapters when I go check the network settings on host and on vmware it sayd cable is not connected when the ignition is on. Regular OBD II scanner works on the car. When you connect an OBD II ENET cable to your car and then to your network adapter, do lights on the network adapter light up automatically as if regular network cable is connected? Mine do not, as if cable is bad or something. Can you guys help me with this? I need to do a bit of diagnosis and adaptation on my project car, and need to access airbag module as well.

Thank you!
Old 04-05-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurieg View Post
Hey guys,

I have an ENET cable and installed latest version of ISTA-D on virtual machine running windows 7 64bit, host is running windows 10 64bit. I followed these instructions here: http://blog.obdtool.co.uk/how-to-set...-for-f-series/ however still having an issue. ISTA-D works fine, as well as ista-p. I cannot seem to connect the car to pc, it simply is not identified, connection doesn't appear in ISTA-D or in network adapters when I go check the network settings on host and on vmware it sayd cable is not connected when the ignition is on. Regular OBD II scanner works on the car. When you connect an OBD II ENET cable to your car and then to your network adapter, do lights on the network adapter light up automatically as if regular network cable is connected? Mine do not, as if cable is bad or something. Can you guys help me with this? I need to do a bit of diagnosis and adaptation on my project car, and need to access airbag module as well.

Thank you!
Are you sure your network settings are OK? As per this step in the guide, If VMware is installed, open Virtual Network Editor and disconnect from the host any adapters with Subnet Address 169.254.0.0.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reclaimer View Post
Are you sure your network settings are OK? As per this step in the guide, If VMware is installed, open Virtual Network Editor and disconnect from the host any adapters with Subnet Address 169.254.0.0.
There are no adapters displayed with such subnet. I'm a little concerned about the cable being faulty because network activity lights do not come on when it's plugged into the car and network adapter on PC.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 04-05-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:
There are no adapters displayed with such subnet. I'm a little concerned about the cable being faulty because network activity lights do not come on when it's plugged into the car and network adapter on PC.

Have you tried running ISTA+ directly from Windows 10 instead of a VM? ISTA+ runs perfectly fine on W10.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:03 PM

No I haven't tried that.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:20 PM

Took apart the cable and saw some wires disconnected, could have happened while I was taking it apart as it was glued together. Soldered them back in place will see if anything changes tomorrow.

Old 04-06-2017, 03:40 AM

First of all thanks to Reclaimer for the link to insta d however, i'm following the guide to the letter but my easy bmw tools folder and net framework folder are both empty?

I'm doing the install on win 7 64bit with SP1
Old 04-06-2017, 03:44 AM

I'll try downloading again....
Old 04-06-2017, 04:00 AM

Nope no change and yet it clearly shows 163.53mb of content pulled down ok using MD 1.7. I'm stumped and it's not even installed yet lol
Old 04-06-2017, 04:38 AM

Ok, seems like some kind of OS security related setting i must have as I've managed to download the files i need separately
Old 04-06-2017, 07:45 PM

Just to let you all know, the issue was related to the ENET cable itself. Design of the internal side of the OBD II connector allowed for cat5 wires to be pulled directly from the PCB they were connected to. I had to resolder all wires and tie a knot inside the connector to prevent this from happening again. See link for images as well as a great PDF tutorial I followed to repair the cable.
One great way to tell if the cable is functional from the beginning is to plug it into the car and your computer. Without launching any programs (e.g. ista) open your network adapters page and see if your PC recognizes that a cable is plugged in (instead of showing network cable is disconnected it will say "unidentified network"). If there's absolutely nothing, then there's a chance that your cable is faulty just like mine was, however it's very easy to fix it.
P.s. photos of my cable show different wire colors than what tutorial explains, that is because it was wired to the rj45 different. If you have any questions let me know.

Old 04-06-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Just to let you all know, the issue was related to the ENET cable itself. Design of the internal side of the OBD II connector allowed for cat5 wires to be pulled directly from the PCB they were connected to. I had to resolder all wires and tie a knot inside the connector to prevent this from happening again. See link for images as well as a great PDF tutorial I followed to repair the cable.
One great way to tell if the cable is functional from the beginning is to plug it into the car and your computer. Without launching any programs (e.g. ista) open your network adapters page and see if your PC recognizes that a cable is plugged in (instead of showing network cable is disconnected it will say "unidentified network"). If there's absolutely nothing, then there's a chance that your cable is faulty just like mine was, however it's very easy to fix it.
P.s. photos of my cable show different wire colors than what tutorial explains, that is because it was wired to the rj45 different. If you have any questions let me know.

Also, if anyone needs a link to the comprehensive software discussed in this forum with good download speeds let me know, but I think you're all getting it from that same source anyway.

Forgot to include this in my previous post:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?...F85R1VMXzBQNVU

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
diagnostics, ista+, procedure, programming, repair, rheingold

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming
Today's Posts Search