BMW 2006 X5 ran out of gas 1/4 tank on gauge - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 11-12-2016, 09:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X5 3.0i
BMW 2006 X5 ran out of gas 1/4 tank on gauge

2006 X5 3.0i ran out of gas at 1/4 tank on fuel gauge
Hi- newbie here so I apologize if I dont explain this proper but after reading for hours on this forum I wanted to post myself and get some insight.

I have a BMW X5 3.01 2006. 98k Miles 3 weeks ago I was experiencing a strong gas odor so I toke the car to a indy mechanic. They noticed a crack on one of the "nipples" on the tank and sealed it instead of changing out for a new gas take which would have taken 3 weeks to get from BMW and cost a boat load. They had to remove the gas tank to do this which cost $800 in labor and 10$ in parts ( sealant). All was fine until yesterday when my car ran out of gas while still showing 1/8-1/4 full on gauge and 100 miles let on tank. The car would turn over and sputter out. this morning I added 2 gallons of gas to the car and after about 5 minutes of trying to get it to start it started but ran very poorly and sluggish almost dying out at stop lights on the way to the same mechanic which is 2 miles away. When I got there and stopped,the car started to idle fine. I turned the car off and on a few times and no issues. needless to say the shop couldn't reproduce my issue. They advised me to fill up the gas tank and so how it goes. I took it to the gas station and it took 24.77 gallons to fill up. That with the 1.9 gallons I put in in the morning fits right in line with the gas tank capacity of 24.6 G + reserve of 2.1 I put in 1.9 g+ 24.77 = 26.67 tank 24.6+2.1+26.7 so obviously I HAD run out of gas the night prior.

What I have been reading is that in most cases the car was not out of gas. The problems were caused by the gas not getting used from both sides of the tank. Per info on this site I did
an OBC check no.6 and got info that I do not know how to interpret and am asking if someone could tell me what it means and if indeed I need to get a fuel pump fuel filter and/or a siphon hose that should move the gas from one side of the tank to the other as I have been reading. I'm not sure on this as I am a newbie with no mechanical skills ( just smart enough to know not to take it to the dealership) and 2. it appears the tank was actually empty per volume of the gas I had to had to fill it up so it seems as though I was getting gas from both sides of the tank?
I thank you for your time and I apologize in advance if I have left out any additional info needed

Please find the attached photos from my OBC test 6 after a fill up. Can someone please aid in interpreting it? Thanks again
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 11-11-16 at 7.48 PM.jpg
Views:	2612
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	581698   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0304.jpg
Views:	2557
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	581699  

Last edited by Dannyjoe111; 11-12-2016 at 09:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2016, 04:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: x5
very simply
someone MAY have binded or 'muffed' the sending unit or float
it's easy to do
i have done it myself before
Old 11-13-2016, 07:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 4.4/2013 650ix GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyjoe111 View Post
Please find the attached photos from my OBC test 6 after a fill up. Can someone please aid in interpreting it? Thanks again

-
The 1st image in your quote above reveals:
the data from the fuel level sensor on the left side of the gas tank/the data from the right fuel level sensor on the right side of the gas tank/the approx total of fuel in the tank
The 2nd image in your quote above reveals:
the approx total of fuel in your tank and PHASE 1 means that both fuel level sensors are working correctly and sending data
If you pull up TEST 6 as you drive around...you will see the left side decrease as you consume fuel and rack up mileage. The left side should decrease eventually to "0"...then the right side will begin to decrease. The approx amount of fuel left will also decrease as you consume fuel and rack up mileage.

When the right fuel level sensor gets close to only having approx 2 gallons of fuel (check your owners manual for the reserve amount for the 6 cylinder engine)...that is when your low fuel warning light should illuminate.

The e53 is different than most of its other generational cousins (the e38/e39/e46) in that its fuel tank is larger on the left side vs the right. The other aforementioned models have a bifurcated fuel tank that is approx equal on each side.

If your level sensors are working correctly now (based on PHASE 1 appearing in TEST 6)...you may want to do TEST 21. Test 21 is used to reset the data sent to the IKE like when you change a fuel level sensor. The damping functions designed into the software probably created the incorrect data that was sent to the IKE and is probably the reason that caused you to run out of gas when the gauge was reading you still had 1/4 tank of fuel left. TEST 21 reset should correct this without have to drive a long distance to counteract what occurred & to self correct.

{e53 X5 fuel tank - you can see in pic below that the right side is larger (its actually the driver's side/left side)...thus the 55 liters/27 liters you see in TEST 6 which reveals the left/right fuel level sensor data on a full tank}

Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 2013 F06 650ix Gran Coupe` (Black Sapphire) 1/13 mfg date
(SOLD)
97 740iL (Arctic Silver) <<~>> 99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=637911&d=1538398374&thumb=1&stc=1

Last edited by QSilver7; 11-13-2016 at 07:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2016, 03:50 PM

Thanks QSilver! Great information and exactly the info I was seeking!
I did the test 21 and reset. I did notice it changed my mileage from empty from 320 to 420 with the tank full. That is much closer to the number shown on previous fill ups though I never get that much!
interesting enough that 100 mile difference was around the amount the car was telling me was left in the tank when the fuel gauge was showing 1/4 full when it in actuality had been out of gas. Wish I had checked the test 6 then but was unaware. I will be watching it this time.

Thanks again for your very informative and clear reply to my question!

Last edited by Dannyjoe111; 11-13-2016 at 03:54 PM.
Old 11-13-2016, 03:52 PM

Thanks for your info as well gunyvw!
Old 11-13-2016, 08:02 PM

Mein Auto: x5
cool
Old 11-14-2016, 12:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 4.4/2013 650ix GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyjoe111 View Post
Thanks QSilver! Great information and exactly the info I was seeking!
I did the test 21 and reset. I did notice it changed my mileage from empty from 320 to 420 with the tank full. That is much closer to the number shown on previous fill ups though I never get that much!
interesting enough that 100 mile difference was around the amount the car was telling me was left in the tank when the fuel gauge was showing 1/4 full when it in actuality had been out of gas. Wish I had checked the test 6 then but was unaware. I will be watching it this time.

Thanks again for your very informative and clear reply to my question!

BTW...I forgot to say that..if you see PHASE 2 or PHASE 3 on the 2nd screen of OBC TEST 6 it means:
  • PHASE 1 = both sensors are OK
  • PHASE 2 = at least one sensor is faulted (which would be the one registering "0" when you know there should be fuel on that side of the tank during TEST 6)
  • PHASE 3 = implausible input (fuel tank contents can't be computed...fuel gauge more than likely reads "0")
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 2013 F06 650ix Gran Coupe` (Black Sapphire) 1/13 mfg date
(SOLD)
97 740iL (Arctic Silver) <<~>> 99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=637911&d=1538398374&thumb=1&stc=1
Old 11-14-2016, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSilver7 View Post

BTW...I forgot to say that..if you see PHASE 2 or PHASE 3 on the 2nd screen of OBC TEST 6 it means:
  • PHASE 1 = both sensors are OK
  • PHASE 2 = at least one sensor is faulted (which would be the one registering "0" when you know there should be fuel on that side of the tank during TEST 6)
  • PHASE 3 = implausible input (fuel tank contents can't be computed...fuel gauge more than likely reads "0")
Good to know!! Thanks again! I apprecaite all the info!!
Old 11-15-2016, 12:30 AM
Old School

Mein Auto: E23;E32;E34;E38;R50;R55
The moderators took out my response to this,
Previous:
E21 318i; E23 735i; E30 318i; E32 735iL; E34 535i; E38 730iL & 735iL; E53 4.4i
I've just changed my wiper blades and now my reverse lights don't work. Should I change my fuel pump relay?
Old 12-10-2016, 02:09 PM

A month later new problem or old problem not fixed?

Hi Please see above on the situation that brought me here and big thanks to QSilver7 for giving me some understanding on how to monitor the situation!

Today I filled up my gas tank but test 6 and the fuel tank gauge reported back that the tank was not full. ( see photos)
after driving around for bit and taking sharp corner test 6 showed a full tank (TNK:55.0/27.0/82.0L But unlike prior fill up the 2nd part of test 6 showed 55.0L PHASE 1 not the 82.0L as on prior fill up and now appearing on the first screen of test 6.

As I drove around more the numbers are coming up and are at 65.6L PHASE1 and fuel gauge is rising to almost full tank from 3/4. I assume with more driving it will catch up to the 82.0L

why is it doing this now? faulty fuel pump or sending unit? thanks for any help sorry if I'm not clear on this please let me know any other info you my need

Pic 1 and 2 are right after fill up
Pic 3 and 4 is after driving around 30 minutes. (The numbers of L on the last pic don't go up unless I'm giving it moving)
Pice 4 is showing same as last fill up but it took some driving to do and seemed to correct after a semi sharp right turn. As you can see pic 3 and 4 don't match up with total tank volume yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0320.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	584060   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0321.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	584061   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0324.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	584063   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0322.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	584064  

Last edited by Dannyjoe111; 12-10-2016 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-07-2017, 03:26 AM

Mein Auto: '01 E53 X5 Black/Black
BMW 2006 X5 ran out of gas 1/4 tank on gauge

I've been dealing with this problem for a month or so on wife's copy of x5 (we both have 2001 e53).

The fuel is not used in the way most people have been explaining and this info will help a lot of people.

On this x5, the problem ended up being a seal on the sending unit on the left hand side. The return gas was leaking out and not fully pressuring the jet pump siphons.

Here is the REALITY of how the e53 tank works:

There is a "pit" on the right side of the tank into which the gas pump and float for the right side sender goes.

The siphon pump has a "foot" that is sensing if that pit is full. When the pit is full the siphon loses suction and stops pulling gas from the left side of the tank.

Any number of things could disrupt this siphon.

The symptoms for my case was that the right side sender was reporting less than 1 liter as soon as the gas level was "below the hump". There was SOME siphon action but not enough to keep the "reserve tank" full. At about 3/16 of a tank remaining (typically about 70 miles to empty) the car would run out of gas.

I replaced the fuel pump but the right side sender (hidden test 6) reported less than 1L of gas as soon as I was below 28L on the left side.

I took out the left side sender and immediately noticed the o-ring was not seated in the groove and looked like a PEAR not circular

It was a nearly impossible feat to disconnect the siphon pump from the sending unit but I was able to do it and put in a proper o-ring. I put it back together and expected to see (because of other people erroneously reporting that the left side will pumped over to the right side) the test six show the fuel finally move over to right side of tank.

I opened up the right side to get a better understanding and maybe to remove entire jet sucking pump if needed when I started to put all the pieces together.

I did notice that the right side did report slightly more fuel than before but I did a test to see if my o-ring was holding and discovered that it was but there was NO SEAL at the seam where the siphon pump was attached.

Gas was spraying out of that seam at a liter a minute at least!

I engineered a way to add an o-ring into that seam and put it all back together again.

Took for a test drive and now my right sender is reporting 1.4L up from 0.9L when the gas is below the hump.

I drove about 50 miles testing so far I have yet to drive down to low fuel light for acid test.

I made a tool to turn the big metal rings:

Glad I did I had to remove and install about 10 times! I really don't like the unbalanced bang with hammer on one side method recommended by most DIY.

So: summary: the "reserve tank" you hear about on the x5 really is a dent in the bottom of the right side of the tank that holds maybe 2g or 8L of gas. The sender (at least in my car) reports 1.4L of gas in that dent of the tank. That gives me perhaps 6.6L of gas once both sending units are bottomed out and I suspect that is when the low fuel light kicks on.

It's a really smart design because the bottom of that dent is so small (maybe 14x6 inches) that you are not likely to have a problem running out of gas from going up or down a hill when the low fuel light is on.

I'm not sure what other cars report for the right side sender once the gas level is below the hump but the way the system is designed the right side will stay basically the same once the level gets lower than the hump.

I have another x5 also 2001 and will test it as well to confirm my findings but the alternator needs rebuilding so I can't test than yet.

Oh: I replaced the hose clamps with finger twist style. That really helped with diagnostics since the hoses are too damned short to do any look and see while connected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by andrewwynn; 01-07-2017 at 03:35 AM.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 x5
running out of gas on 1/4 tank 2001 X5

How much does dealer charge to correct the issue?
Old 09-03-2018, 09:48 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
- Just had this experience myself...

- I test drove a 2005 X5 3.0i with 60K, nice car. Gauge showed 1/4 for a while and did not drop even with driving.

- Car then stalled, code P0442 (EVAP leak) and P0301 (misfire cylinder #1), then code of misfire in many cylinders etc.

- Mechanic checked: fuel pressure low, opened the tank, there was only 1 gallon in the fuel pump well!

- So the issue of stuck fuel level sensor (driver side) is interesting. I see that in E39 5-series, E-46 3-series cars and also E53. I don't why the sensor is stuck, maybe people let the tank run dry so often, so fuel evaporates and left behind residue. The solution is to fill it up and add Techron etc.

- Anyway, I didn't buy this car.
Old 09-03-2019, 01:34 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewwynn View Post
I've been dealing with this problem for a month or so on wife's copy of x5 (we both have 2001 e53).

The fuel is not used in the way most people have been explaining and this info will help a lot of people.

On this x5, the problem ended up being a seal on the sending unit on the left hand side. The return gas was leaking out and not fully pressuring the jet pump siphons.

Here is the REALITY of how the e53 tank works:

There is a "pit" on the right side of the tank into which the gas pump and float for the right side sender goes.

The siphon pump has a "foot" that is sensing if that pit is full. When the pit is full the siphon loses suction and stops pulling gas from the left side of the tank.

Any number of things could disrupt this siphon.

The symptoms for my case was that the right side sender was reporting less than 1 liter as soon as the gas level was "below the hump". There was SOME siphon action but not enough to keep the "reserve tank" full. At about 3/16 of a tank remaining (typically about 70 miles to empty) the car would run out of gas.

I replaced the fuel pump but the right side sender (hidden test 6) reported less than 1L of gas as soon as I was below 28L on the left side.

I took out the left side sender and immediately noticed the o-ring was not seated in the groove and looked like a PEAR not circular

It was a nearly impossible feat to disconnect the siphon pump from the sending unit but I was able to do it and put in a proper o-ring. I put it back together and expected to see (because of other people erroneously reporting that the left side will pumped over to the right side) the test six show the fuel finally move over to right side of tank.

I opened up the right side to get a better understanding and maybe to remove entire jet sucking pump if needed when I started to put all the pieces together.

I did notice that the right side did report slightly more fuel than before but I did a test to see if my o-ring was holding and discovered that it was but there was NO SEAL at the seam where the siphon pump was attached.

Gas was spraying out of that seam at a liter a minute at least!

I engineered a way to add an o-ring into that seam and put it all back together again.

Took for a test drive and now my right sender is reporting 1.4L up from 0.9L when the gas is below the hump.

I drove about 50 miles testing so far I have yet to drive down to low fuel light for acid test.

I made a tool to turn the big metal rings:

Glad I did I had to remove and install about 10 times! I really don't like the unbalanced bang with hammer on one side method recommended by most DIY.

So: summary: the "reserve tank" you hear about on the x5 really is a dent in the bottom of the right side of the tank that holds maybe 2g or 8L of gas. The sender (at least in my car) reports 1.4L of gas in that dent of the tank. That gives me perhaps 6.6L of gas once both sending units are bottomed out and I suspect that is when the low fuel light kicks on.

It's a really smart design because the bottom of that dent is so small (maybe 14x6 inches) that you are not likely to have a problem running out of gas from going up or down a hill when the low fuel light is on.

I'm not sure what other cars report for the right side sender once the gas level is below the hump but the way the system is designed the right side will stay basically the same once the level gets lower than the hump.

I have another x5 also 2001 and will test it as well to confirm my findings but the alternator needs rebuilding so I can't test than yet.

Oh: I replaced the hose clamps with finger twist style. That really helped with diagnostics since the hoses are too damned short to do any look and see while connected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like this is the same solution I saw on YouTube and looks like it got pasted to this thread. Well this may have worked in your case but not mine. I replaced both fuel pump and fuel sensing unit and I'm still having the same issue. I'm not sure if you're the same guy on YouTube. But anywho my o ring is brand new, it came on the sending unit..and when I turn the key forward. The passenger pump does not come on at all. Idk if it comes on when the tank is low but not immediately like the high pressure fuel pump does. That's comes on right away. Is there a separate fuse for the fuel sending unit? I know where the fuel pump fuse and relay is....

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search