Impossible to heel toe shift in E46? - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 11-25-2019, 10:06 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW E46 330Ci 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
I have a 2003 330ci, brand new pads and rotors all around, fresh brake fluid, and stainless steel brake lines and can heel toe downshift without issue. OP, Perhaps your car needs some things sorted and thats causing your issue.
But can you reach the gas pedal with your heel because I'm pretty sure it's only possible to do with your toes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2019, 01:35 PM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

Mein Auto: E46 ZHP TS2+ Coupe
I think you're missing the part where we told you about how to successfully "heel-toe" in the E46, even though it's not REALLY a "heel-toe".
Old 11-25-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSKTR View Post
I think you're missing the part where we told you about how to successfully "heel-toe" in the E46, even though it's not REALLY a "heel-toe".
No, I got that part. It's a "toe-toe" technique
Old 11-25-2019, 08:35 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2003 330ci (5 speed)
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLarenBMW View Post
But can you reach the gas pedal with your heel because I'm pretty sure it's only possible to do with your toes
Yes, without issue.
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 11-26-2019, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, without issue.
I call BS on that, the gas pedal is further back than the brake pedal so the only way to even get close with your heel is to slam the brakes to the floor. You're not fooling anybody smolck
Old 11-26-2019, 08:02 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2003 330ci (5 speed)
Quote:
I call BS on that, the gas pedal is further back than the brake pedal so the only way to even get close with your heel is to slam the brakes to the floor. You're not fooling anybody smolck
Ok, call BS. Im not inclined to try and prove myself.
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....

Last edited by smolck; 11-26-2019 at 08:09 AM.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Ok, call BS. Im not inclined to try and prove myself.
If you use your heel on public roads you probably brake too hard most of the time
Old 11-26-2019, 05:37 PM

Mein Auto: 01 M3, 83 320is, 75 2002
There are multiple ways to do this. You can do a youtube search and see demonstrations of the various ways. Mine changes depending on the car and pedal box. What currently works the best for me is to brake with my toes in a fashion similar to standing on them. That leaves my heal in the air to blip the throttle when needed. My ankle does not roll to well so this is my primary. Your comment about it feeling awkward indicates that you just need to practice it more. Few tips on that are to do some work in the driveway with the motor off just practicing the footwork required to get the pedals. You can then move up to practicing the pedal movement with the engine running with the car in neutral so you an hear what affect your method has on the rpm while holding the brake. A common fault is to reduce brake pedal pressure while blipping the throttle so practice holding the brake pedal hard(threshold) and playing the throttle. When I finally was comfortable with the basics I found a stretch of road that was lightly used and went up and down between 3 and 4 gear as it was just an up and down movement and did not take too much brain power. You get out of it what you put into it but it is a fun technique to master. Best of luck.
Old 11-26-2019, 06:23 PM

Mein Auto: E61 530D E91 330d E46 328
Quote:
The gas pedal is further back than the brake and I can't reach the gas with my heel unless I'm slamming the brakes to the floor with my toes. For a sports car it's a pretty sh*t design IMO
Sports car??? Tell him he's dreeeeaming. It's a 2 door sedan.
Old 11-26-2019, 07:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 328xi
Honestly got no idea what anyone is talking about? Are you all race drivers or are you all racing on the road? To my mind. Having one foot on both pedals might be a problem in an emergency stop?
Old 11-26-2019, 07:53 PM
Glaird

Mein Auto: F10-'16 550i, F82-'18 M4
I once owned a manual transmission economy car, with the brake pedal standing much further up from the floor, then the gas pedal. Thus, causing the same problem. I got a piece of 1" wood, cut to shape of the gas pedal, then secured it with 2 wood screws, driven through the back side of the plastic pedal. The alignment of pedal surfaces was perfect. But, it looked pretty cheesy, even on an economy car.
Old 11-26-2019, 09:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 545i
I've never heel toes it in my E46. I just let the clutch out until it starts to grab, get off the brake and onto throttle. Easier now with my 545i. Lot of torque at idle.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-2019, 09:33 PM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi 4dr; '03 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer Schemer View Post
Are you all race drivers or are you all racing on the road? To my mind. Having one foot on both pedals might be a problem in an emergency stop?
No, no, and no. Heel-toe is a technique used for matching engine speed to wheel speed when downshifting while braking. True, it is most useful in high-performance driving, but is useful even everyday for making smooth shifts to progressively lower gears while slowing the car.

In an emergency stop, one doesn't need to use the same foot placement on the pedals as for a heel-toe downshift....

Quote:
Originally Posted by e60545ipaul View Post
I've never heel toed it in my E46. I just let the clutch out until it starts to grab, get off the brake and onto throttle.
See above. Starting from a stop is not the main use for heel-toe, so no surprise you've done well without.

BMW CCA
Old 11-26-2019, 10:40 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Btw can this technique be done if your car has a Clutch Delay Valve and do all E46s have CDVs?
Yes.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:49 PM

Mein Auto:
This goes back to the into the 60's.and later. It was heel and toe with the pedal placements and even double clutching and blipping the throttle when you let the clutch out in the pass through neutral. Now its a side to side and no need to double clutch. My 2006 Z4 is set up perfect for blippling on initial start to get RPMs up and on downshifts to match RPM. If you ever get any track time and driving at limits you definately want to master the technique else risk locking up your rear end going into a corner while downshifting.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search