Any suggestion for bumper protection? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - 2017)

X3 F25 (2011 - 2017)
The second generation X3 added style and new features to the BMW's mid-sized SUV. Talk about the BMW F25 X3 with other X3 owners now!

Old 06-07-2016, 06:09 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Any suggestion for bumper protection?

Hello guys,

I recently ordered my first BMW X3 and couldn't be any happier, but I currently live in NYC. For those that live here we all know how inconsiderate most NYC drivers are in terms of parking. The notorious "touch parkers" will destroy your bumpers.

I just wanted to know what fellow bimmer drivers in NYC use to protect their bumpers. I was thinking of purchasing the bumper shox for the front and parking armor for the back bumper. I don't mind if my car looks like a tank. Any recommendations are welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2016, 08:21 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: x3 35i
I used the bumper shox for the front but it kept setting of my parking sensor so I took it off. Plus I hated the look and I think it would do more damage to your bumper as the screws would be getting pushed in more when someone bumps into you.

I use the bumper bully for the back. Just make sure you put it back in the trunk when you drive. I do my best to park in corner spots and away from everyone and we all need the exercise anyways.

Post pics when you get it. If you really want to protect the back bumper use two tow hooks and screw them in the bumper holes in the back and no one will touch you. You can also do that for the front but it only has one bumper hole instead of two.

I've seen a few cars that use a tow hook in the front and one in the back.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:27 AM
Enjoying our X3 and i3.

Mein Auto: X3 xDrive28i
There was a discussion about this here.

2014 i3 base CPO purchased 20170701 w/ 12223 miles.

2014 Lexus RX350 Trade-in on X3

Mine: 2012 Kia Sportage pretty much stock. (SOLD 3/4/16)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2016, 09:09 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2015 BMW X3 xDrive28i
The "easy" solution is to relocate to an area w/ considerate operators.

Otherwise just install a 2" square receiver trailer hitch, then use a locking clevis pin for a bumper protector, like this Rhino.

Old 06-08-2016, 05:23 PM

Thanks for the ideas. I like the two tow hooks in the back bumper idea because I heard that the bumper bully scratches underneath where the velco sits. I have tried to look for pictures of the tow hooks on the bmw x3 just to see how it looks like but haven't been successful. I was thinking of using the sports tow hook that many sedans use for cosmetic purposes because it will protect the bumper and look good. Does anyone use the tow hook and can show me how it looks? Thanks
Old 06-09-2016, 08:48 AM

I have the BMW factory installed trailer hitch and I simply leave the 2.5" receiver installed full time. It sticks out just far enough that if someone bumps my car they will bump the hitch before anything else (if they are coming straight).

I was rear-ended at about 15mph in another car with the receiver hitch on and there was no visible damage to my car. The car that hit me had a nice square indentation in its front bumber.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - 2017)
Today's Posts Search