Dealer allocation games - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > Ask-A-BMW-Dealer

Ask-A-BMW-Dealer
Talk to our team of BMW Client Advisors from supporting BMW dealerships. Get all of your BMW pricing, ordering, buying, financing, and leasing questions answered here!

Old 12-13-2017, 08:23 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2017 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibiza View Post
Also, cute storry how you met your wife. What happened that you moved over to BMW?
My wife an I met before we got into the car biz (worked for a publishing co.) We went from Seattle to New England to be with my Dad who had a terminal illness. We did some consulting, and met a multiple-store dealer principal our age who had a Subaru store. The rest, as they say, is history.

She poo-pooed the whole BMW thing ... asked me why I drive my BMW the way I do, and I'd say, "Because I can."

A few years later she saw the new X3 (2014) and decided she'd give it a try. About six months in she was driving and looked over and said, "OK, I get it now."

And again, the rest is history.

The Subaru dealer has given up on getting her back in one.

When we moved back to Seattle, I decided to move up to a high-line brand. I did my research, and BMW was most in the spirit of what I wanted to represent: commitment to the driving experience, commitment to safety, and commitment to being uncompromising.

I think we have done some compromising to gain market share, but I still think it's the best driving car on the road, for the price point.

MJB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2017, 10:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 18 M4 ZCP Cabrio & 18 X5M
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBrown62 View Post
I think we have done some compromising to gain market share, but I still think it's the best driving car on the road, for the price point.

MJB
I agree 110% with you on that, why I been a multi-BMW vehicle owner for 14 years and never look else where when its time to lease again every three years. Except having 2 vehicles ordered and taking US delivery within weeks can be over stimulating. With ED and PCD no other manufacture can deliver this experience.
2015 X5 50i M PCD 10/14-Rtd
2015 435 Cabrio M ED 9/14-Rtd
2011 X3 35i M PCD 6/11- Rtd
2011 335is Cabrio ED 9/2010-PCD 12/10-Rtd
2007 X3is PCD 1/07-Rtd
2007 335i Cabrio PCD 6/07-Rtd
2004 328i Cabrio PCD 3/04-Rtd
BMW Driving Experience Tracks:
Arjeplog Ice Training 2019
Nordschleife 2012 & 2018
Intensive Training for Professional Drivers 2017
Hockenheimring 2014
Advanced M VIR 2011
BMWCCA
Old 12-14-2017, 08:20 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classj View Post
Thanks MJ for the advice and info! I guess luck was on my side today since I called Paul miller after lunch and secured a 112 build, week 2, configured to my spec with production number on the spot. I just saw your chart and am happy to see I got the only 112 presently in NJ.

Before I even reached out to them I made the decision to dump dealer 2 regardless of timing. I gave the GM the opportunity to make things right and they refused.

Thanks to everyone who helped here!
Glad you jumped. As I read down though the thread, when you said you were going to sit tight at #2 I thought 'why reward $hitty behaviour?'. Knowing they screwed me would grind on me.

I would NOT have told them I was cancelling either, just blew them off when it came in, but I'm a dick.

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Old 12-14-2017, 08:28 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBrown62 View Post
I've suggested this before, but I'd skip all the "allocation" language. It's an internal term that many outside of BMW have picked up on, and in my time on the 'Fest it has been a key source of angst.

Allocation internally is when we get allotted cars. What we get are production numbers in an "On Order" status.

So as Infosec does, don't ask if they have allocation. Ask if they have an on order production #, or just a production #.
This confuses me a bit....

In the past, we have seen folks get production numbers- but then sit for weeks or months waiting for it to 'change' and actually get built- all the time BMWNA and the dealer dancing around. When in actual fact the movement into production is controlled by the dealer's allocation which dictates in which week that production number will be built....

Do folks need something other than just a production number? How will they know when that production number will be built?

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

Old 12-14-2017, 08:42 AM

Mein Auto: misc
Quote:
Glad you jumped. As I read down though the thread, when you said you were going to sit tight at #2 I thought 'why reward $hitty behaviour?'. Knowing they screwed me would grind on me.

I would NOT have told them I was cancelling either, just blew them off when it came in, but I'm a dick.
It ate at me for a couple days and came to a head yesterday a few hours after speaking with their GM. I basically decided to kill the deal and if I could not get another decent build slot to give up and lease a Jeep for a couple years. Thankfully it seems to have worked out.

I thought about not saying anything to dealer 2 but at the end of the day they had a $1K deposit. Getting it back at this point is easy since they can still change that build into anything they want.

What is amazing me is that everyone is advising not to call BMW NA. These two dealers wasted hours of my time with shady practices. Are high volume dealers invincible to business practice issues pre-sale?
Old 12-14-2017, 10:04 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
It ate at me for a couple days and came to a head yesterday a few hours after speaking with their GM. I basically decided to kill the deal and if I could not get another decent build slot to give up and lease a Jeep for a couple years. Thankfully it seems to have worked out.

I thought about not saying anything to dealer 2 but at the end of the day they had a $1K deposit. Getting it back at this point is easy since they can still change that build into anything they want.

What is amazing me is that everyone is advising not to call BMW NA. These two dealers wasted hours of my time with shady practices. Are high volume dealers invincible to business practice issues pre-sale?
BMWNA will absolutely NOT get involved with ANY aspect of the sale.

While they may not like what a dealer is doing, they are virtually powerless to interfere. Laws and dealer franchise agreements allow the dealer to have free reign. Only after you become a customer can BMWNA send you surveys, and use these results to influence the dealership.

if you call, they will make all appropriate noises, and even 'reach out'- but in the end, it is pointless.

And you can get your $1000 back at an minute up until you take delivery (unless you signed a non-refundable deposit form/state law allows it) But letting them hold $1000 isnt worth it.

Last edited by ard; 12-14-2017 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Believe me while there isn't direct management of the franchise dealers, they provide a lot of "direct feedback" to dealers, primarily on the numbers, the marketing and internal processes. Constant evaluation.

But actually calling BMW Customer Service will near always end up with a "talk to your dealer."

mjb
Old 12-14-2017, 12:20 PM

Mein Auto: misc
Quote:
But actually calling BMW Customer Service will near always end up with a "talk to your dealer."
Unfortunately that was my experience on a service issue a few years back as well. At the customer service level, if the dealer can't handle it BMW corporate generally has a "not my problem" approach.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
This confuses me a bit....

In the past, we have seen folks get production numbers- but then sit for weeks or months waiting for it to 'change' and actually get built- all the time BMWNA and the dealer dancing around. When in actual fact the movement into production is controlled by the dealer's allocation which dictates in which week that production number will be built....

Do folks need something other than just a production number? How will they know when that production number will be built?
Every production number has a status 105: No production week scheduled. It then moves to 111, and you get different dates by week/month. When it is requested for, when it is planned for (usually the same) and the estimated date.

Once it hits 112 status, within 11 days, on average, it goes into production.

Right now, in my On Order inventory, there are production numbers that are in 111 status and have estimated production weeks of 2018/02/07. Otherwise known as Week 7.

In some cases it can be 9+ weeks before it heads into production from taking your order. Longer if it's an individual.

So... if your agreeing to a build, and they say they have a production number:
  • Make sure they actually have a production number
  • Make sure it's not in 105 status; needs to be 111 or 112 or you won't know the estimated production week
  • Have them print out the Status Screen for the Production Number. It will show the Number, the Current Status (105/111/112, etc) and the estimated Production Dates.
Old 05-29-2020, 02:19 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Show of hands....

Who else read this for 5, 10 posts BEFORE seeing it was 3 years old???

(Spammer reported BTW)

Old 06-01-2020, 04:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2019 X2 M35
I did and wondered why a 3 year old thread was opened again. Good to know the reason, SPAM
Take care
Old 06-01-2020, 05:43 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 540i; 330i
Jeezus. I can't believe ard fell for that.

2020 540i MSport
2017 330i Sport

Prior BMW's
2018 340i RWD 6MT MSport
2017 540i MSport
2016 428 GC MSport
2015 X1 35i xDrive
2015 X1 28i xDrive
2014 535i MSport
2014 328i SportWagon
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Buyers Guide - Dealers, resources, pricing, tips and trick > Ask-A-BMW-Dealer
Today's Posts Search