Engine Malfunction. Reduced power. - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 12-29-2019, 12:36 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35i sport activity
Engine Malfunction. Reduced power.

Ok, so this popped up on my BMW today, it's a 2012 X5 35i sport, 82k miles. The issue is, "engine malfunction, reduced power" light came on, the 1/2 yellow version. The strange thing is, maybe I'm crazy or just an idiot, first started driving her today and my Sirius satellite radio was not getting a signal, no satellite radio. So, as I was driving, I called Sirius to try to get that problem fixed. The guy said to pull over, turn off the car so he could try to reset something. Started her back up, started driving, got to the highway, pushed her and bingo, the engine malfunction light comes on.... Needless to say, I headed back to my house, slowly, and now am wondering what the heck happened. Could there be any correlation between the Sirius guy dicking with my satellite signal and this malfunction light? Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2019, 12:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35i
Youíll need to pull the codes, it could be many things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-29-2019, 03:00 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
This is where putting off spending 150 for that code reader all of a sudden seems needlessly frugal...'

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2019, 05:16 PM

Well, so I decided to drive the car again, and right after I pulled out of my garage, the satellite radio was working normally....drove the car to a local auto parts store, the guy used his code reader on the car, and it indicated "no codes found". Could this thing have reset itself somehow? Maybe I should take it to another parts store, see if they find anything. Or I guess i could take it back out on the highway, see if the higher speed activates the "engine malfunction, reduced power" warning.
Old 12-29-2019, 05:37 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wherespete View Post
Well, so I decided to drive the car again, and right after I pulled out of my garage, the satellite radio was working normally....drove the car to a local auto parts store, the guy used his code reader on the car, and it indicated "no codes found". Could this thing have reset itself somehow? Maybe I should take it to another parts store, see if they find anything. Or I guess i could take it back out on the highway, see if the higher speed activates the "engine malfunction, reduced power" warning.
Uh, as I said, this is where not spending the $150 on say a foxwell nt520BMW scanner seems like an issue

The parts store likely is using a generic OBD scanner, not a scanner that will read BMW codes....

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

Old 12-29-2019, 06:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i E70 Sport
Engine Malfunction. Reduced power.

Take the advice. Get a BMW specific scanner. Get the codes before you canít drive anymore. The BMW wonít fix itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfe
Old 12-29-2019, 07:54 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Not trying to be a dick, BTW. Its A frustrating situation...instead of getting on with codes and troubleshooting you now have to wait for amazon!

Oh, you asked about a Sirius 'reset' (or whatever they did) possibly causing this issue. Not possible, IMO. Never heard of such a thing, and cannot see how something in the Sirius module can impact the DME.

But get any codes, and you'll get help here.

Last edited by ard; 12-29-2019 at 10:02 PM.
Old 12-29-2019, 08:02 PM

Mein Auto: '06 530xi 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wherespete View Post
Here's the thing. Some codes are basic and able to be found by just about any code reader. Like a misfire code. But, the car has more than a dozen computers and a generic code reader isn't going to get all the codes. If the car had a iDrive message, there will be a code. You need a BMW aware code reader to get to many of them. That's what ard is saying to you. There are a number of BMW aware code readers, the one he pointed you to is one of them.
Old 12-29-2019, 09:28 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyUnicornTaco View Post
Take the advice. Get a BMW specific scanner. Get the codes before you canít drive anymore. The BMW wonít fix itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfe

Just bought a NT530 on amazon - late xmas gift to myself hehe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2020, 07:52 AM

Mein Auto: x5 xDrive50i
any update? were you able to fix the issue?
Old 05-19-2020, 09:06 AM

Yes, got it repaired a while back. My issue was a simple hose that had become unhooked from the turbo or something to that effect. Took it to my guy, he checked it, reconnected the hose and sent me on my way. Good news.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35i / 2011 E90 M3
Just happened to me yesterday. I have a 2012 BMW X5 35i N55 , 100k miles

Haven't been driving it much due to the stay at home orders. The prior time I drove it, it gave the discharge warning at start up so I drove it around and I hooked it up to a trickle charger overnight.

Next time, which was yesterday, I took it out, it drove fine for 10 minutes and then on the way home on a very slight downhill with minor acceleration it "misfired" and warning came up for reduced power, engine malfunction and I got these codes. Limped home.

2EFE
2F03
2EE0
2EF1

Not sure where to start for fix....I did restart the car and it ran fine with no warnings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5251.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	893309  
Old 05-20-2020, 03:35 PM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
CHARGE the battery
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 05-20-2020, 04:45 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by msan View Post
Just happened to me yesterday. I have a 2012 BMW X5 35i N55 , 100k miles

Haven't been driving it much due to the stay at home orders. The prior time I drove it, it gave the discharge warning at start up so I drove it around and I hooked it up to a trickle charger overnight.

Next time, which was yesterday, I took it out, it drove fine for 10 minutes and then on the way home on a very slight downhill with minor acceleration it "misfired" and warning came up for reduced power, engine malfunction and I got these codes. Limped home.

2EFE
2F03
2EE0
2EF1

Not sure where to start for fix....I did restart the car and it ran fine with no warnings.

Give the battery a full and proper charge with an AGM charger.

Clear the codes. See if they come back.

Could be a ton of things, but start there....

Old 05-30-2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Give the battery a full and proper charge with an AGM charger.

Clear the codes. See if they come back.

Could be a ton of things, but start there....
OK so i charged it on a ctek charger set at AGM/snowflake and charged it until it showed full. Warmed up the car, drove it softly for 5-10 mins, no problems, then I decided to give it some gas and it bogged down and gave me the reduced power warning and lost power. I shut down the car and restarted and got my power back but eventually lost it again when I tried to accelerate hard. It was almost like the turbo couldn't help or maybe its fuel related.

Now I am thinking I have to bring it to a shop to diagnose. Was hoping it was just low charge on battery due to not using the car much.

Last edited by msan; 05-30-2020 at 11:57 AM.
Old 05-30-2020, 12:11 PM
Do You Smell That?

Mein Auto: 997.1
Quote:
OK so i charged it on a ctek charger set at AGM/snowflake and charged it until it showed full. Warmed up the car, drove it softly for 5-10 mins, no problems, then I decided to give it some gas and it bogged down and gave me the reduced power warning and lost power. I shut down the car and restarted and got my power back but eventually lost it again when I tried to accelerate hard. It was almost like the turbo couldn't help or maybe its fuel related.

Now I am thinking I have to bring it to a shop to diagnose. Was hoping it was just low charge on battery due to not using the car much.
Spark Plugs. Mine showed the very same symptoms and it was the plugs.
Old 05-30-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propchef View Post
Spark Plugs. Mine showed the very same symptoms and it was the plugs.
Thanks for the suggestion. I did get them changed at 80k miles. So it has been a little over 20k miles since. About a little over 2.5 years ago.

I guess i have the time to redo them now with the virus. I just hope its not coils, hpfp, or injectors since I hate taking out all the junk to get to the spark plugs....

Appreciate the suggestion and will try and DIY the plugs
Old 05-30-2020, 12:26 PM
Do You Smell That?

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. I did get them changed at 80k miles. So it has been a little over 20k miles since. About a little over 2.5 years ago.

I guess i have the time to redo them now with the virus. I just hope its not coils, hpfp, or injectors since I hate taking out all the junk to get to the spark plugs....

Appreciate the suggestion and will try and DIY the plugs
The code said it was a misfire. Turning off the car, then restarting cleared the issues, until I got on an onramp or tried to accelerate. When I pulled the first plug it became obvious.

20k sounds low for a plug to go bad so it could be a coil.
Old 05-30-2020, 01:50 PM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Coil outputs. How are they going to be affected by accelerating.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	E766AD61-9680-44E1-BC2D-C80715FEA54B.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	894695   Click image for larger version

Name:	AEC487D0-0DB3-48CC-A89D-D0D1C1EBA070.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	894697  
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 05-30-2020, 05:26 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by propchef View Post
The code said it was a misfire. Turning off the car, then restarting cleared the issues, until I got on an onramp or tried to accelerate. When I pulled the first plug it became obvious.

20k sounds low for a plug to go bad so it could be a coil.
When you have a misfire WITH LEAN CONDITIONS, the DME disables the circuit- this protects the cylinder from a potenially damagiung 'lean fire'. When you restart the motor, it clears. Until it misfires again,

A coil (or plug) is unlikely to fail IN A WAY THAT CAUSES LEAN CONDITIONS (obviously). My first pass thoughts.

What codes- SPECIFICALLY- are you seeing now?

Old 05-30-2020, 05:57 PM
Do You Smell That?

Quote:
When you have a misfire WITH LEAN CONDITIONS, the DME disables the circuit- this protects the cylinder from a potenially damagiung 'lean fire'. When you restart the motor, it clears. Until it misfires again,

A coil (or plug) is unlikely to fail IN A WAY THAT CAUSES LEAN CONDITIONS (obviously). My first pass thoughts.

If you're asking me, my mechanic made the same argument. There's a thread about it. I took my car home, changed the obviously corrupt plugs, cleared the codes, problem solved. This was late November. I just checked the codes again the other day (issues with the reverse warning systems) and there were no misfire codes and the car has been running well with predictable gas mileage. Other than losing an expansion tank, she's been fine.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:34 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

20k plugs? Doubtful.

HOWEVER, if they didnt change them...or used the wrong plugs, perhaps.

Old 05-30-2020, 08:15 PM

Quote:

Codes I am seeing now. Look to be the same as the first time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5305.PNG
Views:	33
Size:	222.6 KB
ID:	894755   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5306.PNG
Views:	32
Size:	181.5 KB
ID:	894757   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5307.PNG
Views:	31
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	894759   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5308.PNG
Views:	33
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	894761  
Old 05-30-2020, 08:40 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

How old is the battery?

The misfire stuff seems like one thing...but the other codes are odd-ball 'low voltage' type stuff, or coding stuff. Has the car ever been coded? Anyone mess with modules, AWS, etrc?

Old 05-31-2020, 11:28 AM

I bought the car used from a BMW dealer in Illinois back in June 2017. It came with a Duracell AGM car battery. There are no date codes anywhere on the battery. I checked the terminals and all around but no date. The car build date is Nov 2011. So at some point in between 2011 and 2017 the battery was replaced.

I did not have this reduced power issue until after I let the car sit for weeks due to the lockdown. And I got a discharge warning.

If you think I should start with replacing the battery I can do that. I can buy one and install it myself. That is less hassle than trying to replace ignition items or fuel injectors. And I guess the battery is at least 2.5 years old.

Thanks again!

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search