'Lawlessness out there': Speeding epidemic sparked by stay-at-home orders - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. **Note** - Political posting is not allowed (or welcome) at Bimmerfest.

Old 05-26-2020, 05:43 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
'Lawlessness out there': Speeding epidemic sparked by stay-at-home orders

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...-stay-home-or/

Itís easier and more fun for the cops to bust speeders than to close down church services and solve crimes. Contempt of cops, teeth of the toothless tyrants.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2020, 11:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2018 330i
Police forces here in Ontario Canada also state that traffic violation incidents are up. A couple of weeks ago, a young man was clocked at 308 km/hr in a Mercedes C class AMG. There are reports too that Cannonball run attempts are up and times are down.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:27 PM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
What do you expect me to do in a Porsche 911 Turbo?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3AI_1296 Clear Freeway.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	894121  

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, thereís a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2020, 01:26 PM

Mein Auto: 1967 Barracuda convert
I've had to be out on the road some in the last several weeks. It's crazier than usual out there with the speeders. I like them, though. If I'm doing 10 over the limit and they doing 20-30 they're more likely to get pulled over. Just don't tailgate me...
Old 05-28-2020, 02:48 PM
Nuclear engineer

Tailgaters; racing from idiot to ***hole.

I love 'em, I always move out of their way if they're going faster than I. "Faster than the slowest, slower than the fastest."

My default cruise control setting is 110% of the posted speed limit. Yeah yeah, I know about the errors in speed indication. I also know, "Three, you're free. But nine, you're mine.". My most recent ticket was 1977 in my 911 in Lake City, SC.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 05-30-2020, 09:47 PM

Mein Auto: 1967 Barracuda convert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
Tailgaters; racing from idiot to ***hole.

I love 'em, I always move out of their way if they're going faster than I. "Faster than the slowest, slower than the fastest."

My default cruise control setting is 110% of the posted speed limit. Yeah yeah, I know about the errors in speed indication. I also know, "Three, you're free. But nine, you're mine.". My most recent ticket was 1977 in my 911 in Lake City, SC.
My most recent ticket was some time around 1988 (only two in my life), been pulled over a couple more times (once for bullet holes...).

Funniest encounter with a trooper was in 1982. My wife and I were heading up 101 north of Santa Rosa, CA cruising at about 70 (remember this was during the nationwide 55 mph limit) in my black 1966 Barracuda. Absolutely no traffic, but I noticed the CHP coming up on my rear. I held the speed steady. When he got close enough he grabbed his PA microphone and announced to me that "55 would be a better speed". My wife about jumped out of her seat. He pulled out into the fast lane and sped away from me. I dropped back down to 55 for a few miles...
Old 05-30-2020, 10:58 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
A few years ago I was headed home in the 996TT w a pizza in the front seat. Im on 4 lane semi-divided roadway, about 2 lights until it narrows down to a narrow 2 lane. So it goes to single file, and drops down a hill and across a bridge, a bit of a dogleg and then a long straight.

As I come up to the last light before the road narrows, it turns red. As I stop, I see a black pickup coming up behind me. he slows. As the light changes to green, he changes lanes and guns it- slingshoting around me.

Hmmm. Do I let this stand? There is about 1/4 - 1/3mile until the road narrows.

I guess we will find out.... I floor it.

Its a porsche turbo....

Two things happen when I pass him: The V1 starts squealing HARD that there is a hot Ka band radar ahead....AND...I look down and am doing 98mph. F-F-F-F

Brakes...HARD... scanning. As I drop past the dogleg and start climbing the straight, I am scanning in front. Look down, im now at 65, and the black pickup triumphantly blasts past me. (over a double yellow)

And then as I drop below 60, I see a CHP cruiser coming towards me...us.

I begin doing the old "these are not the droids you are looking for"....the CHP whips a U-turn after we pass. Lights on. He passes me and pulls over the pickup

And I know the driver must have been spluttering mad, saying "But but but that Porsche was doing like 100 and passed me!!!!!!"

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Old 05-31-2020, 04:05 AM
Nuclear engineer

Well done, Obi Wan. The Force is with us old guys, that's how we are old.

Old 05-31-2020, 02:39 PM

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
And I know the driver must have been spluttering mad, saying "But but but that Porsche was doing like 100 and passed me!!!!!!"
My lowly F30 328i usually goes at flow of traffic , until known CHP hideouts are approached.

A common spot is a wide blind right sweeper around 280 south and 92.

A few days ago approaching that area, a jet black AMG GT R blasted down the left lane +40mph over flow of traffic, while the rest of the field eased off heading into speed trap.

And just like clockwork, the AMG was on shoulder accompanied by CHP a couple miles down the road.
Old 05-31-2020, 03:04 PM
Nuclear engineer

A long time ago I drove California SR-9 Saratoga - Santa Cruz road in a VW, a route that I had driven all my driving life, I blew the doors off of a Hertz Mustang early. Not much later I watched it try to pass the line of traffic that I had slowed for, and get its rear wheels out in the left lane gravel, spin, and slow roll, coming to a stop on its lid. I went back to render aid if needed. All four were in Hertz Mustang 4-point harnesses and uninjured, but asked that I take their weapons, rather than CHP. I went on up to SR-35 Skyline Blvd ranger station and called for CHP and a tow.

When I beat a Mustang in a Super Beetle.

Not much later I was camping (not even a tent) in Big Basin SP when one of our 'campers' had a BAD reaction to some recreational intoxicant. Again my GF, whose VW it was, and I volunteered to get Laurie to the nearest hospital in Santa Cruz. At midnight in a Super Beetle with four, me driving, Dana navigating, someone to tend to Laurie, blasting through small towns in the left lane, on the horn, and no cops - none. We made it to Santa Cruz and Laurie was OK. Perhaps the only time in my life I wanted a cop.

Old 05-31-2020, 06:28 PM

Mein Auto: 1987 BMW 535is 2008 E64
Quote:
A few years ago I was headed home in the 996TT w a pizza in the front seat. Im on 4 lane semi-divided roadway, about 2 lights until it narrows down to a narrow 2 lane. So it goes to single file, and drops down a hill and across a bridge, a bit of a dogleg and then a long straight.

As I come up to the last light before the road narrows, it turns red. As I stop, I see a black pickup coming up behind me. he slows. As the light changes to green, he changes lanes and guns it- slingshoting around me.

Hmmm. Do I let this stand? There is about 1/4 - 1/3mile until the road narrows.

I guess we will find out.... I floor it.

Its a porsche turbo....

Two things happen when I pass him: The V1 starts squealing HARD that there is a hot Ka band radar ahead....AND...I look down and am doing 98mph. F-F-F-F

Brakes...HARD... scanning. As I drop past the dogleg and start climbing the straight, I am scanning in front. Look down, im now at 65, and the black pickup triumphantly blasts past me. (over a double yellow)

And then as I drop below 60, I see a CHP cruiser coming towards me...us.

I begin doing the old "these are not the droids you are looking for"....the CHP whips a U-turn after we pass. Lights on. He passes me and pulls over the pickup

Cool beans on the setup. It's always nice to see a bubba truck take it in the arse.

The crotch rocket crowd is having a field day here. I felt the need to hit triple digits last night bringing home dinner with a fine bottle of wine. It was a nice clean run and nobody got surprised.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:34 PM

Mein Auto: bimmer
Talking about Mustang and Beetle, a few years ago my lowly F30 328i was on 84 east just past Skyline heading downhill.

A Beetle was in front of us, maintaining good speed, clearly a local.

Then a Mustang (misfiring and loud exhaust) blasted up behind us, and the driver started swearing (echoed back from hillside). Naturally we yielded at next wide shoulder, letting the Mustang(still swearing) to go up against the Beetle.

As we approached 280, the Mustang was spotted at another wide shoulder, smoking from hood. It appeared the Mustang tried to pull something on the Beetle, but ended up blowing a mod or two.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:02 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by zod View Post
Cool beans on the setup. It's always nice to see a bubba truck take it in the arse.

The crotch rocket crowd is having a field day here. I felt the need to hit triple digits last night bringing home dinner with a fine bottle of wine. It was a nice clean run and nobody got surprised.
Some days you're the truck .....some days you're the Porsche.

Could have been me on a different run.

It was an absolute textbook example of a good radar detector w arrows. I probably detected him 0.8 mile away. I had him before he had a visual on me, so I was able to get under before he could ID me. In fact, had the truck NOT been there, Id have been dead to rights.

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Old 06-01-2020, 09:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i M Sport
Quote:
Some days you're the truck .....some days you're the Porsche.

Could have been me on a different run.

It was an absolute textbook example of a good radar detector w arrows. I probably detected him 0.8 mile away. I had him before he had a visual on me, so I was able to get under before he could ID me. In fact, had the truck NOT been there, Id have been dead to rights.
The arrows AND counter saved my bacon on the 5 south of Sacrademento. Had the BMW and Mustang that passed me after CHP #1 passed opposite direction had the counter and arrows, they would have known that there was a trailing CHiPer and they would have stayed slow (I could see their detectors in their windscreens). They didn't, I did. They got caught, I didn't.
The combination of the arrows and counter is priceless!

Mike
2014 535i M Sport, Carbon Black/Black (mine)
2012 535i, Dark Graphite II/Oyster (wife's)
Joshua 24:15; Phil 4:13
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f10-535i-lim/
Old 06-02-2020, 06:49 PM

Mein Auto: 1987 BMW 535is 2008 E64
It's that situational awareness thing again.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic
Today's Posts Search