turbo lag in a Europe - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-01-2008, 04:28 AM
in a yard

Mein Auto: toyta&bmw 335i
Question turbo lag in a Europe

hi all

does has it in a Europe produced cars?

Old 10-01-2008, 05:59 AM
Not a Bimmer driver anymo

Mein Auto: 2014 Tesla P85D
Maybe, it depends on which car. In regards to a 335i, new cars (year 2009) should have no turbo lag, but some of the 2008 cars might have it - it depends on the computer version. The other models I do not know because the USA only gets one engine with turbo.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ---
Direct injection twin turbo engines like the 335 or 123 don't have much of any lag. If you go to a single turbocharger and lose the direct injection, yeah you will have some. Direct injection seems to make the biggest difference - a single turbo with direct injection reacts very fast. A twin turbo without direct injection will have more lag, and then a single turbo without direct injection will have the most lag. (It also depends on the size of the turbo and the amount of boost - but I believe stock BMW's don't have large high boost turbos).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2008, 10:09 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz58 View Post
Direct injection twin turbo engines like the 335 or 123 don't have much of any lag. If you go to a single turbocharger and lose the direct injection, yeah you will have some. Direct injection seems to make the biggest difference - a single turbo with direct injection reacts very fast. A twin turbo without direct injection will have more lag, and then a single turbo without direct injection will have the most lag. (It also depends on the size of the turbo and the amount of boost - but I believe stock BMW's don't have large high boost turbos).
The 335i has virtually no turbo lag, as the turbos include a small one for low RPM(spins up real quick) and a bigger one for higher RPM, more HP. IMO, many 335 drivers mistake throttle lag for turbo lag. With turbo lag, RPM increases without acceleration, that doesnt happen with the 335. Throttle lag is when you push the pedal and NOTHING happens for an interval, no RPM increase, nothing. The 335 has a drive by wire throttle program that learns your style. When new, the program has quite a bit of throttle lag, but it learns and the control settings are advanced to reduce the lag over the first 1000 miles or so. In the step, the DS/manual mode has much less throttle lag, even when D mode learning is finished. In DS/manual mode, my '07 will snap heads back right after throttle application. In D mode there is a pause of almost 1 sec before the car responds. I understand the '08's were delivered with a V29 throttle program that just sucked, tons of lag. Now it is apparently remedied, runs like the '07 again.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:52 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdriver View Post
Mine, a steptronic, was built in jan '07 so I'd say pre, the car has amazing throttle response.
Don't let them update you.

I have the steptronic also. I find in DS my throttle response is much smoother and immediate than in D. Actually in D the throttle is inconsistent and jerky. Kind of suprising from a $50K car.

Cheers
Old 10-01-2008, 03:06 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by imoksoami View Post
Don't let them update you.

I have the steptronic also. I find in DS my throttle response is much smoother and immediate than in D. Actually in D the throttle is inconsistent and jerky. Kind of suprising from a $50K car.

Cheers
I have found D mode to be hesitant even after it learns your style. I guess its the price of making it idiot proof(litigation proof). I have driven a number of other new cars, rentals while traveling and the drive by wire "designed for hesitation" seems to be an epidemic in new vehicles. Audis, nissans, VW's all have it, ughhh!

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search